TSN Radio Drive home yesterday w/ Brian Hayes + O-Dog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You keep repeating 70 points to make it sound unrealistic...The discussion was 60-70 points for Kadri.

Okay, so you think 70 pts is not realistic, but 60 points is? How about 65? I just want to get a sense of where you think he could top out at.

CalgaryLeaf*

Okay, so you think 70 pts is not realistic, but 60 points is? How about 65? I just want to get a sense of where you think he could top out at.

6o points= A given (99% sure he'll get there).

65 Points= Likely (80% certain he'll get there)

68 points (50%)

70 points (30%)

72 points (10%)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
6o points= A given (99% sure he'll get there).

65 Points= Likely (80% certain he'll get there)

68 points (50%)

70 points (30%)

72 points (10%)

I have him pegged at 50-60 pts. We'll see though, if you're right though, that is great for us, and great for Kadri, just don't call him a bum if he ends up with 55 pts please :P

CalgaryLeaf*

I have him pegged at 50-60 pts. We'll see though, if you're right though, that is great for us, and great for Kadri, just don't call him a bum if he ends up with 55 pts please :P

Not a bum but a 2nd line center...He certainly won't deserve a big raise or long term contract if that happens...He'll get upper 2nd line type money.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
So what else is new? Toronto sports media just doing what they do! I could care less what they say and do and so should the Leaf players.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So what else is new? Toronto sports media just doing what they do! I could care less what they say and do and so should the Leaf players.

Poor Leafs players. Getting paid millions of dollars to suck. You're right, they don't care. They don't care about anything except their paycheck. That's what they showed last season.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Poor Leafs players. Getting paid millions of dollars to suck. You're right, they don't care. They don't care about anything except their paycheck. That's what they showed last season.

So listening and accepting media criticism(caring) would make them better?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think 70pts might be a reach but Jeff points had more to do with Kadri leading the offence and Dion leading the defence. I see nothing wrong with that bc those two are the best players on the Leafs.
If Jeff states something like Reilly and Jake needs to play like Keith and Seabrook and Panik needs to be Hossa. Then it is pushing it.
As for media pressure, think as long as they play hard and compete every night. They will be fine. Everybody with a brain knows that the Leafs does not have anyone that could average a point a game right now.

Having said that, I can see Simmons calling Babcock as an expensive mistake.......if the Leafs have a losing streak of five games or so.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Jeff O'Neill is the dumbest person I've ever had to listen to. The fact that people like him and think he "tells it like it is" defeats my faith in humanity.

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON
I hate Jeff o'niell with a passion. I created a twitter account just so I could bash what he says on air when I watch leafs lunch. Canadian media needs to hire better people then 4th line goons (kyprios) career plugs (armstrong) career backup goalies (healey) and guys who gave up on their career because they're scared of flying. Most of the time it seems like they're just speaking out of their ass moreso then fans.
Then again what do you expect when the most famous sports personality in Canada is don cherry

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Cherry is alright as long as you take away the Canadian bias.
I find the guys at TSN is far better than Sportsnet. Or maybe I am bias in that too.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
Why are we disappointed? Am I the only one who sees Kadri as just a "good 2C" - 70 points is #1C numbers, even if you force him into the 1C role for the year, do we really think he'll just achieve those numbers because of the opportunity? I mean I am more then happy to see it happen, I just don't think he's capable of producing that type of offense.

Honestly if Kadri gets 50-60 points, I'd call that a solid season. I think 70 points is way too high an expectation. I'd be thrilled obviously if he did it but I'm not banking on it.

I really don't see what O'Neil said that was wrong in the clip. If anybody was foolish it was Bryan Hayes with the idea the burden of the entire offense of the hockey club has to fall on one guy. O'Neil was the one trying to set him straight.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
If Kadri doesn't like being the brunt of the media pressure, he could always take some pointers from Marshawn Lynch.

Cherry is alright as long as you take away the Canadian bias.
I find the guys at TSN is far better than Sportsnet. Or maybe I am bias in that too.

I agree. Sportsnet is pretty sucky, with the obvious exception of Elliot Friedman

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't think the Leafs have the offense weapons and supporting cast for Kadri to get past 65 points. JVR and Lupul may be good finishers, but the offensive depth after that is lacking. That will impact how much Kadri will face top end shutdown defenders and all. 60 points would be great but a good year 50-60 points ... Really though, it's his play away from the puck that's more important than just scoring. The Kessel era showed us that just putting up big point totals means nothing if you're not playing a hard 200 ft game.. Improvement in the face-off dot would be a step forward too

If O'Neill is suggesting that Kadri has to replace all the offense and put up the big goals left by Kessel, he's clearly blowing hot air ... There are things beyond this that are important.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not the biggest point I was trying to make...more about the media in general and why it has to be about putting pressure on players and trying to get under their skin etc.

I think we all realize this is a rebuild year and the team is gonna be garbage...and yeah I get "getting a quote" like Kessel blowing up on you creates a buzz, but I just don't think it is neccessary. If you're a good writer/journalist then you should be able to get some good articles out with great content regardless like a Myrtle or Zeisberger.

To be quite honest I agree with most of what you said, I don't think it's the media's job to purposely put pressure on the team ( i.e agenda style reporting) but at the same time a guy like Kadri doesn't deserve to be coddled either. He's been an embarrassment at times for this franchise especially after last year..if he deserves to be questioned and its' a legit question that he needs to answer than I'm fine with that. I don't think it's up to the media to have an agenda though and to go out and put pressure on someone just out of spite. If deserves to be questioned about his conditioning or his party life or if it's effecting his game I think it's fair game. He has to prove a lot to everyone that he's truly committed to this game to his career and to the franchise.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Intentionally negative reporting on a hoped and prayed for failing. Set the bar high enough that success is impossible and we are Toronto media. Yippykiyay.

Dumbest media in the Nhl is Toronto.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sorry, WTFMAN, but I cannot abide by your low standards and complaint about the "Toronto media" and "pressure" in this case.

What's wrong with expecting a top 10 pick from six years ago to hit 60-70 points? That's Derick Brassard, Radim Vrbata, Alex Steen, Mark Stone, Logan Couture territory. Hardly asking for the moon.

And if by chance 60-70 is too much to ask from Kadri, why the **** is he even here? Kadri should absolutely be stealing the limelight this year if all the advanced stats fans are correct. Why are we shying away from having real expectations from players? If he's going to be a garbage 40 point scorer the rest of his career, he can show himself the door. Nothing wrong with that.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Anything below 55P he can show himself the door.

Though I wonder what the excuses will be?

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry, WTFMAN, but I cannot abide by your low standards and complaint about the "Toronto media" and "pressure" in this case.

What's wrong with expecting a top 10 pick from six years ago to hit 60-70 points? That's Derick Brassard, Radim Vrbata, Alex Steen, Mark Stone, Logan Couture territory. Hardly asking for the moon.

And if by chance 60-70 is too much to ask from Kadri, why the **** is he even here? Kadri should absolutely be stealing the limelight this year if all the advanced stats fans are correct. Why are we shying away from having real expectations from players? If he's going to be a garbage 40 point scorer the rest of his career, he can show himself the door. Nothing wrong with that.

And Steven Stamkos, Ryan Johansen, Ryan Getzlaf, Evgeni Malkin, Rick Nash and Joe Pavelski :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And Steven Stamkos, Ryan Johansen, Ryan Getzlaf, Evgeni Malkin, Rick Nash and Joe Pavelski :laugh:

What are you even laughing at? If Nazem Kadri can't be first line player who scores 60 points, why do people even waste time arguing about how he's better than Bozak? Sorry, but if 50 points is going to be his career high, he can get the **** out.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
What are you even laughing at? If Nazem Kadri can't be first line player who scores 60 points, why do people even waste time arguing about how he's better than Bozak? Sorry, but if 50 points is going to be his career high, he can get the **** out.

Sam Gagner 2.0.

Basically someone who you'll never win with.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Jeff O'Neill is the dumbest person I've ever had to listen to. The fact that people like him and think he "tells it like it is" defeats my faith in humanity.

I don't know.

Brian Burke definitely has him beat there if you ask me.

And that guy had his finger on the trigger of our beloved team.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

I haven't argued that he's better than Bozak or vice versa. I think he can provide good value as a #2 centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad