Confirmed with Link: Driedger recalled, Anderson on indefinite leave for personal reasons

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Losing a testical or breast and then having a 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 chance of survival afterwards is a big deal. A crazy big deal. On your board of "no big deal at all" cancers.

My mom had bowel cancer 6 or 7 years ago. She is ok now. But that is lucky.

A great cancer is a really low growth skin cancer on a 90 year old caught early. Breast or Uterus cancer in a 35 year old woman is awful. She might or probably will survive. But no more kids or maybe breasts with a "great outcome".

There is no "not a big deal" cancer in a 35 year old woman with a 1 and 4 year old child. Doen't exist. Even if it is the absolutely best case scenario over every part of the journey...the phrase "not a big deal at all" is not a phrase anyone ever is going to feel or say.

Even the best possible case scenario is beyond traumitizing. And will lead to fear and worry until everyone in the family passes on.

I was only putting the testicular cancer in the "no big deal" section because if it has not spread it is no big deal. (99% survival rate)

Melanoma, Breast, and Uterus are a big deal but assuming it has not spread your 10 year survival rate is 75%+. Those are the top 3 "desirable" for common women cancers. No cancers are going to be fun but they are different degrees of bad. I am going to go ahead and hope she has one of those 3 and not one of the three truly bad one like Pancreas(1%), Lung(7%), or Brain.(14%)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I was only putting the testicular cancer in the "no big deal" section because if it has not spread it is no big deal. (99% survival rate)

Melanoma, Breast, and Uterus are a big deal but assuming it has not spread your 10 year survival rate is 75%+. Those are the top 3 "desirable" for common women cancers. No cancers are going to be fun but they are different degrees of bad. I am going to go ahead and hope she has one of those 3 and not one of the three truly bad one like Pancreas(1%), Lung(7%), or Brain.(14%)

Problem is, it isn't just the cancer that kills you. I had a relative beat cancer earlier this year, only to pass away this month due to a blood clot (caused by the treatments).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yes if it's breast cancer I've read a lot about the ineffectiveness of mastectomy. Hope it's not the case.
Wow, I didn't know it was his wife with cancer. I was guessing his kid was sick or something.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Problem is, it isn't just the cancer that kills you. I had a relative beat cancer earlier this year, only to pass away this month due to a blood clot (caused by the treatments).

Ya that is why the survival rate stats i was posting are based on 10 year survival rate. so yes if she has breast cancer she needs to beat it AND not have other side effects kill her. Her chance of getting through that for 10 years would be around 77% which is honestly not bad when you compare it to other forums of cancer.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Best wishes and good luck to Nicholle and Craig...hopefully she's able to beat this. wishing them both the best.

Senzilla

Aug 20, 2016
Ottawa
What awful news. I wish them all the best. This is pretty much a worst case scenario as to what it could be. Stuff like this puts things in perspective. Massive respect to the the team and the media for not revealing what was going on until the Andersons wanted it announced. So sad.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
****ing cancer, man.

Not much else you can say. It's tragic that we have to have posts like this far too often these days. Murray, Mark Reeds, now the Andersons... We've been hit hard in the last couple of years. Doesn't seem fair that we have to go through this ever couple of years, but then again Cancer never seems fair.

Get better, Nicholle. If there's a better fan base in the NHL than ours that is emotionally equipped to help and support you through this, I haven't heard of it. You've got nothing but our best wishes through all of this.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sorry to hear of the Anderson family cancer issue. Hopefully the docs found it early and the treatment is highly effective.

Some people who post on this board have cancer too and loved ones who may also have it. Best wishes to all in this battle.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tell my mother that cancer is no big deal at all. She started with Breast Cancer and 2 years and 3 more cancers, she passed away. Once cancer is here, hell is here.

Hang on Nicole, stay positive.

And good luck to everyone who has a family member or friend dealing with this. Stay strong people.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Tell my mother that cancer is no big deal at all. She started with Breast Cancer and 2 years and 3 more cancers, she passed away. Once cancer is here, hell is here.

Hang on Nicole, stay positive.
Feel for you man ,my dad has been gone for 5 years now .Prostate cancer at 56,they operated.He was gone two years later at 58:shakehead

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Seriously cancer is such a terrible thing. And when to have it and it's a positive story.... you still have that looming question -"will it come back and when will that happen" in the back of your mind

**** cancer... just **** it!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Feel for you man ,my dad has been gone for 5 years now .Prostate cancer at 56,they operated.He was gone two years later at 58:shakehead

That sucks. My father had it at 72. He is 75 now but it's only a matter of time for him. Everyone on my fathers side (a big family with 12 siblings) gets cancer. I've lost so many aunts, uncles and a few cousins my age now (mid 40s) that I'm almost numb to it. Feels like it's pretty much inevitable to get it sooner or later.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Seriously cancer is such a terrible thing. And when to have it and it's a positive story.... you still have that looming question -"will it come back and when will that happen" in the back of your mind

**** cancer... just **** it!

Not trying to be a smart ass but what does it mean when people say **** cancer?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
When it comes to cancer and my family ... So far I've been 'lucky'.

My mom was diagnosed with CLL years ago and I don't believe to this point has required any specific treatments.
My dad had a bladder cancer, which at first sounded pretty bad - he ended up having several biopsies but in one of them the doc screwed up and cut too much and as a result ended up just going ahead and removing the entire tumour at that time.
Doesn't seem like anything else has come back since.
At least nothing my parents have told me about anyway.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I stayed up for you Andy. You're an amazing guy. Amazing game.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Not trying to be a smart ass but what does it mean when people say **** cancer?

A phrase used more commonly by individuals who have not experienced the loss of a father/mother/sibling/spouse/child due to cancer, I think.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
When it comes to cancer and my family ... So far I've been 'lucky'.

My mom was diagnosed with CLL years ago and I don't believe to this point has required any specific treatments.
My dad had a bladder cancer, which at first sounded pretty bad - he ended up having several biopsies but in one of them the doc screwed up and cut too much and as a result ended up just going ahead and removing the entire tumour at that time.
Doesn't seem like anything else has come back since.
At least nothing my parents have told me about anyway.

Same. I have a huge family and the only 2 i can think of who have had it. My aunt recently died of Leukemia (she only told like 5-6 people she even had it or was sick so that was a less then pleasant surprise for the other 60 or so family members when she died) and my grandmother who had Uterus?(maybe breast) cancer and died when my mom was 5.

Other then that i want to say a cousin might have some forum of cancer. He is/was very sick but i heard he is looking a bit better.

I do have a large family though so with around 40% chance of getting cancer and a large aging/overweight/unhealthy family we will probably be averaging 1 death a year at least for the next 10-20 years plus lots of obviously sick folks.

Also very happy to see Anderson get the shutout. It looked like it meant a lot to him.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
A phrase used more commonly by individuals who have not experienced the loss of a father/mother/sibling/spouse/child due to cancer, I think.

Hoping that wasn't meant to be as snippy as it reads.
However I think HIPA puts a good view on it, at least regarding those who have at least experienced a close encounter with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad