Confirmed with Link: Driedger recalled, Anderson on indefinite leave for personal reasons

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
My mother had cancer preventing her to have kids. Lost 4 kids, I survived. Miracle child, I guess.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's really scary how much cancer has proliferated in society over the last few decades. When I was a kid, you hardly hear the word. Now it seems like every family out there is hit with it. It's scary to think what kind of infection rate the children of todays children will have.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
It's really scary how much cancer has proliferated in society over the last few decades. When I was a kid, you hardly hear the word. Now it seems like every family out there is hit with it. It's scary to think what kind of infection rate the children of todays children will have.

We can do a parallel with concussion in hockey. We barely heard that ord in the past, now every month, there is 1 or more concussion somewhere.

I just think that medecine is now more aware of what cancer is and are able to find it, while in the past the were less equip to find them.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I hope I don't come off as ignorant but with all the donations and money spent over the years how close have scientists/doctors come to coming up with a surefire cure?

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
I hope I don't come off as ignorant but with all the donations and money spent over the years how close have scientists/doctors come to coming up with a surefire cure?

Not very I don't think. There are so many types of cancers that all of the research dollars aren't being spent on one type. There are thousands of treatments available now though. Cancer patients used to have a handful of chemotherapy drugs available, and when those stopped working your time was up.

Life expectancy has increased dramatically though. When my dad was diagnosed he was late stage colon/liver with an estimated 6 months to live. He lived 5 more years and went through about 10 different varieties of chemo. It's hard to deal with, but knowing we got an extra 4.5 years with him is incredible. So many happy memories despite his illness.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

I am not an expert:

In my case, they are giving the tuberculosis virus (BCG) to kick start the immune system to kill the virus and the cancer cells.

They are also working on a vaccine - far from being ready.

They are also working on an older theory of killing cancer by starvation - removing their blood supply but they are they finding other ways to survive by going after sugar and fatty tissue.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I don't think you can ever blanket cure all cancers. It is endemic to living tissue. 1/2 of all females and 1/3rd of all males will get cancer in their lifetimes in some form. The longer you live (why women get it more often with longer longevity on average), the more common cancer becomes.

Some cancers today are basically cured (meaning extremely effective treatment) for the most part. And all cancers keep becoming more and more treatable with better outcomes over time.

Investment in research has been huge in the increasingly better treatment outcomes of cancer for decades.

So donating to cancer charities is not at all futile. If that was part of what you were thinking when you wrote your post.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa

Honestly the scientists working to cure cancer do not have what they need yet to do it. Right now they are finding ways to help increase life expectancy of cancer patients and doing a good job but a outright easy cure is not going to come from all the cancer research.

We are waiting on genetic engineering to improve to the point where we understand and can reliably edit or add DNA. Once we are able to understand and control someones DNA then we can handle cancer easily.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Thanks for the responses.

@Sens Rule, my post wasn't inferring that donations were futile, sorry if it came off that way. Was just more curious on the progress that we've made thus far.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Of course if you believe the conspiracy theorists, we already have a cure for all cancers but big pharma sits on it because treatment is better income than cures... :help:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Of course if you believe the conspiracy theorists, we already have a cure for all cancers but big pharma sits on it because treatment is better income than cures... :help:

Not saying that it's true, at all, but if you actually don't believe that pharmaceutical companies have been lining the right people's pockets for years in order to maximize their own profits, then you are sorely mistaken...

Those guys are about as evil as they come.

Having said that, the miracle cure for cancer has obviously not been discovered yet.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh sure, they're definitely not angels by any stretch of the imagination... However, the fame associated with being the one to eradicate cancer would far outstrip any monetary gain.
Not to mention you could potentially put several competitors out of business
Plus big insura and every government in the world with socialized health care would prefer a cure to a treatment..
And without knowing the numbers, a case could be made for the increased income from all those people living longer and taking the normal course of meds old people take.

So yeah, when you consider the cost of a worldwide conspiracy to suppress a cure, coupled with the insinuation that every researcher and executive that has knowledge of it would rather see friends and family die to line their pockets...

Well, Occam's razor please.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
13886908_1211058832247881_5384728549014514732_n.jpg

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Not saying that it's true, at all, but if you actually don't believe that pharmaceutical companies have been lining the right people's pockets for years in order to maximize their own profits, then you are sorely mistaken...

Those guys are about as evil as they come.

Having said that, the miracle cure for cancer has obviously not been discovered yet.

Our owner is big pharma...

AHHHHH!!!

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
got one for heart disease too?
Let's be fair though. There are some great doctors/research scientists out there.
There are some great ones out there, but I don't trust the Big Pharmaceutical companies that employ them any more than I trust Big Tobacco or Big Oil.

Brethers

Jun 30, 2013
Ipswich, UK

The problem is that it's because of mutations within you, the treatments have got a lot better so we now have a 99% 5 year survival with prostate cancer that's solely in the prostate and breast cancer is at 70% or so. So there isn't a cure but survival and management of it all has improved greatly, as have the way we deliver treatment and how complex it can be now

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
There are some great ones out there, but I don't trust the Big Pharmaceutical companies that employ them any more than I trust Big Tobacco or Big Oil.

between the rockefellers and the IG Farben group you got some pretty serious criminals. That is for sure. Good advice not to trust pharmaceutical companies. (Also...don't take advice from anyone but yourself. )
Also, good luck tonight Andy.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cancer rates on a per capita basis have actually dipped slightly in the last 20 years, according to the Canadian Cancer Society. The reason why more total people have cancer is that it is largely a disease of older people, and life expectancy continues to rise at about 2.2 years per decade in the developing world.

While there is no miracle cure, detection is now much better, and they are far more precise in how they deliver treatments. For instance, my 78 year old father has non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. With a few rounds of highly targeted chemo (about a day and a half on in-patient treatment per month for six months) they were able to knock it into remission, and today he is feeling great. It will eventually recur, and at that time they can simply administer the treatments again. Let's put it this way - my dad will eventually be called home to see his Creator like we all will, but this isn't likely to be the reason. 30 years ago, it likely would have been.

Bottom line is that there's plenty of good news out there these days on cancer treatment strategies, which is a blessing for the Anderson family right now...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00