Confirmed with Link: Driedger recalled, Anderson on indefinite leave for personal reasons

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Gotta figure Condon gets the start tonight....unreal that Andy even came back for a bit, best wishes to him, his family and wife, hoping for some good news for them!

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I hope I don't come off as ignorant but with all the donations and money spent over the years how close have scientists/doctors come to coming up with a surefire cure?

They found a cure but the cure involves injecting the patient with AIDS, the AIDS kills the cancer and the AIDS they give you is easily treatable with today's drugs. This cure is proven to work but pharmaceutical companies are lobbying against it because it causing them to lose money on older cancer treatments.

Source: Vice documentary

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
They found a cure but the cure involves injecting the patient with AIDS, the AIDS kills the cancer and the AIDS they give you is easily treatable with today's drugs. This cure is proven to work but pharmaceutical companies are lobbying against it because it causing them to lose money on older cancer treatments.

Source: Vice documentary

I'm pretty sure that study was only in a very small number of patients and for blood related cancers. Also many who've done this treatment relapse within a year.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/vice-may-have-overstated-case-in-killing-cancer-030615

So while we are learning more, cancer is a complicated disease. Although in Ontario they are doing virus based cancer killing trials which is a good thing.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...al-trial-to-attack-and-kill-cancer-cells.aspx

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I obviously don't know his wife's exact diagnosis, but I do know that in general they don't mess around with cancer. Once the tests are done and a treatment strategy is in place, they get you started like yesterday. It wouldn't surprise me in the least that she is starting treatment, hence his need to leave the club. This is tough on any family, particularly one with young kids who will be so hurt and confused by everything going on around them. Man do I ever pray for some good news on this soon...

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Curing cancer isn't really that simple when there are so many different types of it. They have found ways to treat some of them. But it's not like a single thing they are trying to cure.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't know but isn't it better to go after the cause and do best to avoid it rather than treat when it's later stage?
Do we know what causes cancer to grow? Any progress on that?

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I don't know but isn't it better to go after the cause and do best to avoid it rather than treat when it's later stage?
Do we know what causes cancer to grow? Any progress on that?

The issue is there are so many different types of cancer. Sometimes genetics plays a role, age plays a role, habits play a role.

When the causes are so varied it's difficult to pinpoint habits to stop. And sometimes avoiding cancer causing things don't matter because of genetics or age. I once heard a prof say our species would never live forever because eventually our cells would mutate and multiply quickly (aka cancer) just due to age of the cells.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The issue is there are so many different types of cancer. Sometimes genetics plays a role, age plays a role, habits play a role.

When the causes are so varied it's difficult to pinpoint habits to stop. And sometimes avoiding cancer causing things don't matter because of genetics or age. I once heard a prof say our species would never live forever because eventually our cells would mutate and multiply quickly (aka cancer) just due to age of the cells.

We should know of at least a couple things that contribute to cancer growth by now.
Treating diseases is a money making business unfortunately. So isn't it better to focus on avoidance in general, for any sickness. I don't get why most people are happy to rely on someone else coming up with cures.
I have a couple ideas about things to avoid for better chances at avoiding diseases that I won't get into but there must be other ideas no? Chemotherapy is not fun(I've seen it up close more than once). It's not a good solution.
(I am trying to think of ways to help Craig and Nicolle)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We do know lots of things that can cause (or strongly correlate to) cancers. And we know things that strongly correlate to the prevention of cancers. Of course, sometimes they're the same thing just in different dosages. Or you decrease the risk of one, but increase the risk of another.

But you have to remember that cancer isn't one specific thing. It's the term used for a collection of diseases that's as numerous as the number of functions that cells in the body provide.
A cancer is basically just a cell malfunctioning and not remembering that it has a specific function and instead just stays in the general growth period of a cell's life.

So like HIPA said, even age and genetics play a role in the eventual onset because as your cells age with you, the likelihood that they malfunction increases.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We should know of at least a couple things that contribute to cancer growth by now.
Treating diseases is a money making business unfortunately. So isn't it better to focus on avoidance in general, for any sickness. I don't get why most people are happy to rely on someone else coming up with cures.
I have a couple ideas about things to avoid for better chances at avoiding diseases that I won't get into but there must be other ideas no? Chemotherapy is not fun(I've seen it up close more than once). It's not a good solution.

Breathing on this planet causes cancer. There is so much crap in the air, that you simply can't avoid all the pollutants out there.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012

Of course there are things that you can eliminate that can help, just that even people with perfect health doing everything right can get cancer. My bf got it and he was as healthy as can be. Never smoked, didn't drink very much, exercised and ate healthy. But still got it. But his dad also had it and his half brother died of cancer as a child. It's sadly in his genetics.

There are some cancers we can prevent by making healthy choices and some we can't avoid if it's in our genetics or old age.

For example, ovarian cancer has risk factors like having children after 30, a genetic component, and fertility treatments. But birth control can reduce your likelihood to get ovarian cancer.

So is birth control a great thing? Well it reduces cancer. But is a risk factor for breast cancer. So with cancer I find it can really be no win.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Breathing on this planet causes cancer. There is so much crap in the air, that you simply can't avoid all the pollutants out there.

And even if you did - think about oxidization. Think about what oxygen does to iron and a ton of other things.

We're breathing in that stuff. Yeah it lets us live but our cells are like coal plants taking in coal (oxygen is our coal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad