Injury Report: Drew Doughty

Ron*

This deserves its own thread. The Kings are keeping this one under wraps. This is what I have heard on Twitter so far (nothing more than we already know). I figure this thread can be updated as posters here hear more as the day progresses.

Initial Times story which doesn't tell us Jack ****:

Kings lose Drew Doughty before falling to Sharks, 2-1

Updated tweets about Drew going with the team to Vancouver. This has to be encouraging:

bbgr.jpg

Now, this information is over seven hours old. I don't see anything newer. Please post information as it becomes available, thanks.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm sure we'll hear more throughout the day because that's a big question. Poor Rosen is getting bombed with questions so he's gonna want something to show everyone :laugh:

Though I agree it's encouraging he didn't get shuttled back to LA. There would be NO point in going to Vancouver otherwise because IIRC the team is actually coming BACK to LA before heading back out on the road.

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
as someone posted in the PGT, i hope he doesn't play in VAN even if he is "able to." i'd rather not have him targeted. that would probably mean that we hear only bad news, though, as they'd have to provide a somewhat valid reason for keeping him out other than "we're going to give him a rest."

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
whew! makes me wonder what it was if it was bad enough to keep him out of the game yet not enough to keep him from traveling

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
id give Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Mitchell, Gaborik, King, and Brown the rest of the season off

let Pearsson, Vey, Toffoli (more icetime), Fraser, Weal, Greene, McNabb, Bodnarchuk, Jones, Berube (backup while Jones plays the final 4) and others play the final 4 games

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
as someone posted in the PGT, i hope he doesn't play in VAN even if he is "able to." i'd rather not have him targeted. that would probably mean that we hear only bad news, though, as they'd have to provide a somewhat valid reason for keeping him out other than "we're going to give him a rest."

Totally agree.

Though I'm sure people are going to target him for the rest of the season more than they normally would. Injured shoulder? Finish every check.

I hope it's minor because as Holden said in the GDT/PGT and I can attest to, something nagging like that can make you overthink the simple plays and make you tentative. Instead of going into the corner and retreiving/moving the puck, you're thinking of how to move the puck as well as maybe twist away and cushion the impact. Little things.

Here's to hoping it's just day-to-day and he'll be 100%.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
id give Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Mitchell, Gaborik, King, and Brown the rest of the season off

let Pearsson, Vey, Toffoli (more icetime), Fraser, Weal, Greene, McNabb, Bodnarchuk, Jones, Berube (backup while Jones plays the final 4) and others play the final 4 games

A little thing called cap space and the Monarchs needing to ice a team.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Drew is a scratch Saturday. They get several days off after that game and Sutter is flying the team home to LA (vs. staying in Alberta until Wednesday).

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal

Unfortunately you can't call all those guys up. But I do agree, the most important thing now is to be as healthy as possible for game one. Play Vey/Jones/Greene, minimize Carter/Kopi/JW/Gaborik's TOI.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Unfortunately you can't call all those guys up. But I do agree, the most important thing now is to be as healthy as possible for game one. Play Vey/Jones/Greene, minimize Carter/Kopi/JW/Gaborik's TOI.

Too bad they don't have roster expansion like baseball the last couple of weeks of the season, for just these situations.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

There's a cap on the number of recalls a team can do between the trade deadline and the playoffs.

http://committedindians.com/hockey-411-roster-limits/

(i) A Club may exercise four (4) recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

I believe you have us recalling six guys.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I would not play Doughty against Vancouver, especially after what happened the last time they played that team. Vancouver was trying to injure the kings players, and start fights.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010
There's a cap on the number of recalls a team can do between the trade deadline and the playoffs.

http://committedindians.com/hockey-411-roster-limits/

I believe you have us recalling six guys.

Not to mention that any professional league would frown on resting all those players at the same time. It's has a perception that they aren't putting the best product on the ice.

It's always a risk that the players get rusty taking numerous games off as well and team chemistry wouldn't be the same right at the start of the playoffs.

I think most teams in hockey just sit 1 player at a time (like Mitchell) . Keith jones said in his opinion that players don't like it either. (Which I don't know how he would know because they were talking about top 6 players :sarcasm:).

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Not to mention that any professional league would frown on resting all those players at the same time. It's has a perception that they aren't putting the best product on the ice.

It's always a risk that the players get rusty taking numerous games off as well and team chemistry wouldn't be the same right at the start of the playoffs.

I think most teams in hockey just sit 1 player at a time (like Mitchell) . Keith jones said in his opinion that players don't like it either. (Which I don't know how he would know because they were talking about top 6 players :sarcasm:).

This isn't the NBA, if an NHL coach sat half his team the league wouldn't care. If the coach believes he's acting in his teams best interest its none of the league's business.

That being said, I'd be against sitting players that weren't tired or injured. Guys like Kopitar and Quick have been playing really well lately, taking them out of the line-up and letting them lose their rhythm could do more harm than good.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not that we have much in reserve anyway but I would definitely be all for icing our "toughest" lineup vs. Van just in case. Keep Doughty out to rest and recover even if he's mostly fine. Let Greene keep skating. Put Mitchell back in if he was not actually hurt. Don't bring Vey in yet. Limit the minutes of the big guys when possible.

NOt saying this to pick fights and stuff but during the Sharks game it was pretty clear they were trying to wreck all our PMD and skill guys. I know we can handle it, but not worth taking chances against teams that don't give a **** and know we aren't going to retaliate, especially when they have little/nothing left to play for.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The League frowns on sitting non injuired players.

The Hawks got lambasted by the league and the fans two years ago for icing basically an AHL team.

The players have expressed dislike for the tactic as well. They feel it cheapens the game.

TKFAN

Dec 3, 2006
New Hampshire

I'm all for guys getting playing time with the Kings, but seriously, it would be nice if the Monarchs could keep enough players to actually play the remainder of the season. From what I heard, it was the plan all along for Fraser to rejoin the Kings for the playoffs, however, he currently has a broken hand.

GO KINGS GO!!!

LETS GO MONARCHS !!!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'm all for guys getting playing time with the Kings, but seriously, it would be nice if the Monarchs could keep enough players to actually play the remainder of the season. From what I heard, it was the plan all along for Fraser to rejoin the Kings for the playoffs, however, he currently has a broken hand.

GO KINGS GO!!!

LETS GO MONARCHS !!!

The Kings can't recall that many players anyway.

You are limited in the amount of call up's before the playoff's start.

dogyekcoh*

Good to hear that DD is on the trip to Vancouver. This means that is not that serious. Otherwise the guy would have been flying back to LA.

Get well soon DD! Even though we have been ragging on you as late, but you know we all love you man.

Ron*

The League frowns on sitting non injuired players.

The Hawks got lambasted by the league and the fans two years ago for icing basically an AHL team.

The players have expressed dislike for the tactic as well. They feel it cheapens the game.

Not just hockey. As I recall, the Spurs got fined by the NBA for resting four starters in a season-ending game a couple of years ago.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not just hockey. As I recall, the Spurs got fined by the NBA for resting four starters in a season-ending game a couple of years ago.

Toews was not happy about sitting out as well, If I recall correctly his quote was something like this :

Toews "Fans pay good money too watch us play, that's all I am going too say about the Benching".

It's not popular folks.....

You know if the GM's and Players are concerned about injury and wear and tear.

Then the league and NHLPA need too agree on shortening the season to 72 games.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I would absolutely bench Doughty for the remainder of the season. And I wouldn't care if it upset anyone.

However, I wouldn't bench Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Quick, or any of the other big names. I would however cut their ice time down. Especially against a ****ing circus like the Canucks.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I would absolutely bench Doughty for the remainder of the season. And I wouldn't care if it upset anyone.

However, I wouldn't bench Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Quick, or any of the other big names. I would however cut their ice time down. Especially against a ****ing circus like the Canucks.

Injury is just fine for benching.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Toews was not happy about sitting out as well, If I recall correctly his quote was something like this :

Toews "Fans pay good money too watch us play, that's all I am going too say about the Benching".

It's not popular folks.....

You know if the GM's and Players are concerned about injury and wear and tear.

Then the league and NHLPA need too agree on shortening the season to 72 games.

They are concerned about injury and wear and tear. They are far more concerned with the money they'd lose out on by doing that. Can you imagine how many TV contracts they'd have to tear up and redo if they chopped 12% of the season off? With that new deal included we could be talking over $1 billion they'd lose, not counting other revenues from the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad