Kings News: Drew Doughty and Jeff Carter named to Canadian Olympic Team

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They won't regret that Carter pick at all.

If you got a chance to watch the selection special on CBC, I think you'd come to the conclusion that I did, Carter was never on the bubble. I got the impression after watching it that they were really high on Carter from the get go. Happy he was chosen and hope he does well, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of team USA.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
My personal favorite comment is the conspiracy theory that Sidney Crosby may have played an indirect role in having Hockey Canada not select Giroux to the Canadian Olympic team. Hilarious.
I couldn't believe I read that. I was thinking the other day how much some of them would rage if Carter made it and Giroux didn't because he's been their whipping boy for so long, even after he's gone.

It sucks that Carter got injured and was taken off Richie's line. Toffoli/Lewis was nowhere near Carter/King and that's what really hurt Richie.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
last 2 years, these are the canadians who have scored more goals than Carter

Kunitz, Tavares, Stamkos

And he can play wing or centre, and he can pk. I have a feeling he wasn't even considered a bubble player

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
In no way, shape, or form was Richards making it on that team. This shouldn't even be debatable.

I don't think anyones debating it, it's just that Carter/Richards always seem to be linked together no matter what. Richards center spot was taken by either Stamkos or Tavares and I think everyones ok with that.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think anyones debating it, it's just that Carter/Richards always seem to be linked together no matter what. Richards center spot was taken by either Stamkos or Tavares and I think everyones ok with that.

No, it wasn't, ever. Stamkos was slotted for wing not center and neither replaced Richie. He was never going to be 1) a center and 2) on the top 3 scoring lines, just like he wasn't in 2010. And he just doesn't have the ability to skate that well on European ice. The North American Hockey teams historically, haven't done well on European Ice in the Olympics.
Richie would have been a 4th line LW. in the same role, to go up against the top lines in a shut down role.

And given that the Canadians selected wingers all over 6'1, that might be what Yzerman referred to today when he was asked why Giroux didn't make it and he said they were looking for a certain 'fit'.

St. Louis, Giroux and Richards would all have been wingers and all under 6 foot.

Maybe that 'fit' they were looking for was to have size, speed and skill on the wings for those board battles.

And I think Sweden has a great roster, top to bottom and those players all used to skating on bigger ice. They have a good shot and getting into the gold medal game.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Well he only scores in blowouts.

Their opinions are **** to me. I know they aren't paying any attention to Carter's play since he moved West. They're all in bed!

He IS our offense most nights.

He's going to be awesome for Canada. Probably wind up being their offensive MVP. Just in the 2012 Cup final alone...

OT GWG in Game 2.
PPG in Game 3 to put the game away.
2nd PPG of "the major" in Game 6.
4th goal dagger in Game 6.

Ding, ding, ding!

I love the fact that after crowing about the "controversial" USA roster, Team Canada fans are now losing it over their own "controversial" roster.

Before Team Canada was announced: lolololololol Team USA is nothing without Ryan, we're winning Gold so easily!

After Team Canada was announced: ****ing Yzerman, just give USA Gold. This team is a disgrace.

And this is for the Carter haters...

tumblr_m0ce2jnIPr1r6jldwo1_250.gif

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
No, it wasn't, ever. Stamkos was slotted for wing not center and neither replaced Richie. He was never going to be 1) a center and 2) on the top 3 scoring lines, just like he wasn't in 2010. And he just doesn't have the ability to skate that well on European ice. The North American Hockey teams historically, haven't done well on European Ice in the Olympics.
Richie would have been a 4th line LW. in the same role, to go up against the top lines in a shut down role.

And given that the Canadians selected wingers all over 6'1, that might be what Yzerman referred to today when he was asked why Giroux didn't make it and he said they were looking for a certain 'fit'.

St. Louis, Giroux and Richards would all have been wingers and all under 6 foot.

Maybe that 'fit' they were looking for was to have size, speed and skill on the wings for those board battles.

And I think Sweden has a great roster, top to bottom and those players all used to skating on bigger ice. They have a good shot and getting into the gold medal game.

If this is the case, that's pretty unfair. It's not like they can will themselves to grow another few inches. MSL especially. If he plays well enough he should be in there. But we'll see how it works out for them.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I just had a controversial bowel movement

:laugh:

last 2 years, these are the canadians who have scored more goals than Carter

Kunitz, Tavares, Stamkos

And he can play wing or centre, and he can pk. I have a feeling he wasn't even considered a bubble player

And Carter had a better goal per game average than Kunitz, which says a lot that he can play in a defensive system and Kunitz can play with Crosby in a more open style, and still outscore.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is fantastic...

“Everybody’s biased,” said Kings center Jarret Stoll. “Everybody has their opinions."

“We see Jeff Carter every day, and what he brings,” added Stoll. “Enough said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad