Kings News: Drew Doughty and Jeff Carter named to Canadian Olympic Team

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Carter is very underrated when it comes to his ability on the backcheck and as a PKer. Tough choices for Canada to be sure. I kind of thought St. Louis might make the team, but I guess Team Canada doesn't think his defense is good enough.

KoopsKings

Sep 26, 2004
On Tsn when Duthie was interviewing Babcock he asked about Stamkos being on the right wing for Crosby, and First thing out of Babcocks mouth was "Well Carter shoots the puck well, and so does stamkos..." Then on Sportsnet John shannon was saying early speculation was that he heard they want carter on crosby's wing. Kunitz-Crosby-Carter could start the tourney together.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Carter and Marleau have both been taken for their excellent skating and pk ability. Outside of those 2, only Bergeron and Toews are real good pk'ers

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
People will forever be judging the Carter pick but its far from bad. Some people like MSL deserve spots over plugs like Nash but too late now. Carter can play top unit PK, play on the PP, adds speed, and isn't a midget so he has so many attractive qualities. The hate will flow for Carter for the same reasons it always has.

This, especially the part about Nash. St. Louis would have killed on that open ice. Seems like Canada wanted size over speed a bit in this selection. Rick Nash has the hearts of Canada's selection team and I really don't get why. St. Louis not being on this team is asin, especially considering the chemistry he has with Stamkos. You'd think they'd want to give Stammer all the help they can considering he's coming back from the injury he's had.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
This, especially the part about Nash. St. Louis would have killed on that open ice. Seems like Canada wanted size over speed a bit in this selection. Rick Nash has the hearts of Canada's selection team and I really don't get why. St. Louis not being on this team is asin, especially considering the chemistry he has with Stamkos. You'd think they'd want to give Stammer all the help they can considering he's coming back from the injury he's had.

And even beyond that, MSL is one of the best, if not arguably THE best RW in the game, even at his age. A tremendous disher. You are very right on the Stamkos part. If Kunitz can make that ****ing team for Crosby, you EASILY have to take MSL for the same reason.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
good luck to both.
Come back healthy.
Hope they play great throughout the tourney except when they play the Americans...

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Canada have enough offensive talent. Don't need St Louis aswell, when you can take Marleau or Carter, 2 goal scoring wingers, who add considerable speed, can move to centre if need be and can play the defensive minutes.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Canada have enough offensive talent. Don't need St Louis aswell, when you can take Marleau or Carter, 2 goal scoring wingers, who add considerable speed, can move to centre if need be and can play the defensive minutes.

The debate to me is MSL over Nash. What does Nash bring? He's not a real high effort, heart and soul player. He's not better offensively than MSL. He's far from a defensive stud. He isn't even having a great year. He's got a big body and is obviously decently talented but in what way can you justify having him over MSL? Because if you're using him in a checking line role, I just don't see him being effective in that. And clearly you're not going to stick Rick Nash on the ice to shut down the fire power of a say Val Nichushkin....I mean Team Russia.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Rick Nash brings size and a goalscorers touch. The size I get, though I don't agree with. Size won't matter as much in this tournament. The goalscoring, they have enough of that as is and even if they didn't, it's not like St. Louis can't score goals himself. Heck, he's doing better without Stamkos goal wise than Nash is in NYR.

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
so the Kings have 6 Olympians compared to 5 last time. Not bad

Could have had 7 if not for Lewis being the victim of the Great Snub 2014

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
The debate to me is MSL over Nash. What does Nash bring? He's not a real high effort, heart and soul player. He's not better offensively than MSL. He's far from a defensive stud. He isn't even having a great year. He's got a big body and is obviously decently talented but in what way can you justify having him over MSL? Because if you're using him in a checking line role, I just don't see him being effective in that. And clearly you're not going to stick Rick Nash on the ice to shut down the fire power of a say Val Nichushkin....I mean Team Russia.

Skating - only really good skaters like Nash will be good at big ice

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Flyers fans are going ape **** over the Carter pick.. haha

Well he only scores in blowouts.

Their opinions are **** to me. I know they aren't paying any attention to Carter's play since he moved West. They're all in bed!

He IS our offense most nights.

He's going to be awesome for Canada. Probably wind up being their offensive MVP. Just in the 2012 Cup final alone...

OT GWG in Game 2.
PPG in Game 3 to put the game away.
2nd PPG of "the major" in Game 6.
4th goal dagger in Game 6.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I love the fact that after crowing about the "controversial" USA roster, Team Canada fans are now losing it over their own "controversial" roster.

Ewan McGregor*

I love the fact that after crowing about the "controversial" USA roster, Team Canada fans are now losing it over their own "controversial" roster.

This was already expected. People already knew there were going to be some good players left out, only question was who they were.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
LOL https://twitter.com/Dustinpenner25/status/420597763181539329

@Dustinpenner25

Congrats to all that made CDN Oly team.Especially Getz,Perry,Kuny, Carts&@dewyy8 EH!Bring back the Gold&1of those medals w/chocolate inside

All is quiet on NHL Network at the moment, deep in reruns, in case you were wondering... and you weren't, which is what needs to get fixed about the NHL network.

I was a bit surprised the NHL Network didn't run something, even a live feed from the announcement. We all had to wait til 2pm pst for any comment at all.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They won't regret that Carter pick at all.

Amen. Congrats to DOughty and Carts! Carter is going to be fantastic on all that big open ice. Droooool. And I can't wait for people to remember what Doughty can do.

The only people trashing Carter over whoever are the same people that are complaining that Dustin Brown took Bobby Ryans spot AKA they have no idea how their respective country's roster is working.

Only real snub in my eyes is St. Louis, and I think that Nash is a hail-mary pick. To me, Giroux doesn't bring anything others on that roster don't, and Carter certainly didn't take HIS spot, so all the pissing and moaning is just "argh they didn't pick MY guy" bluster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad