Kings News: Drew Doughty and Jeff Carter named to Canadian Olympic Team

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Drew was a lock but Jeff was (apparently) a bubble pick for Team Canada (a no-brainer pick as far as I'm concerned). Congrats to both!

Carter made it in over Marty St. Louis (surprising but I figured this is who would be snubbed for Carter).

Claude Giroux missed the RW cut as well (borderline shocking) - Duchene made it.

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
the pissing and moaning about why Carter made it over Giroux/Thornton are awesome :laugh:

I'm reading the Flyers board and listening to TSN--and I'm not really hearing that at all. The confusion comes re: the selection of Nash and Kunitz (and to a lesser extent, Marleau) over Giroux and MSL. Carter was included over someone like James Neal--and I don't think many have an issue with that.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Thornton? Seriously? The guy that's won nothing and has a history of playoff disappointment? Come on.

No Giroux is certainly debatable.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
St. Louis got snubbed a second Olympics in a row.I do not get that at all. I'd have taken him over Carter.

Very relieved to see Richards held off, he needs a recharge I suspect.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I'm reading the Flyers board and listening to TSN--and I'm not really hearing that at all. The confusion comes re: the selection of Nash and Kunitz (and to a lesser extent, Marleau) over Giroux and MSL. Carter was included over someone like James Neal--and I don't think many have an issue with that.

Read the roster thread and you find many who aren't happy with it.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm thrilled for Carter. Not overly shocked that Giroux didn't make it considering what a slow start he had and he also elected not to go for orientation camp late last summer. Sad for Richards but if that's his only Olympics, how do you cap winning Gold at home? No other international tourney comes close.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm thrilled for Carter. Not overly shocked that Giroux didn't make it considering what a slow start he had and he also elected not to go for orientation camp late last summer. Sad for Richards but if that's his only Olympics, how do you cap winning Gold at home? No other international tourney comes close.

Giroux- I wasn't shocked and for what they needed from the positon he was competing for, there are better options. Yzerman was asked on tSN why no Giroux and he say it was about getting the right fit and also , international experience and career experience. He's not going to say what the reasons behind closed doors were , but Giroux is first and foremost, a very talented playmaker , Canada didn't need that, he wasn't better then the centers that made it and not a proficient goal scorer on the RWs that made it. And if there's an injury , I think MSL would still get the call over him, but it may not come to that.
|
Richards would have struggled skating on the larger ice surface, that did him in. And Im guessing if one of the 4th liners gets hurt, E Staal would get the call , not Richie.
And you're correct in that he was outstanding in 2010 on that pitbull line and winning gold in Canada and ebing a large part of it, is a lifetime memory.

As talented as Team, Canada is, historically ,they struggle vs thje Europeans on the larger ice. Sweden should do well and Russia will be under pressure to win after not getting embarrassed by Canada in 201o
it won't be an easy road for Canada.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Read the roster thread and you find many who aren't happy with it.

Agree. the FLyers HF Board is and always will be anti Carter. And the HF Olympic thread also had far too many "Carter shouldn't be there' comments.
I guess there are fans who do not see the choice objectively ; Canada had a need to fill on wing, and Carter's deadly shot, speed (on open ice esp in Europe) and solid 2 way play, and PK all make him a good choice. he's got what? something like 41 goals in his last 80 odd games? That's hard to compete with.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Happy that Carter made it after being the last cut for them in 2010. He has been consistently the Kings 2nd best forward for quite awhile now, provides a great scoring touch, good wheels and solid two way hockey.

Richards missed out for the same reasons Jack Johnson missed out on Team USA, just not playing at a very high level this season.

Happy PK Subban made it, so sick of idiots on HF trashing this guy, he is a world class defenseman and I bet you his selection was pretty close to a lock and not a bubble pick like some speculated.

I think Canada's picks were pretty spot on.

Last edited:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Agree. the FLyers HF Board is and always will be anti Carter. And the HF Olympic thread also had far too many "Carter shouldn't be there' comments.
I guess there are fans who do not see the choice objectively ; Canada had a need to fill on wing, and Carter's deadly shot, speed (on open ice esp in Europe) and solid 2 way play, and PK all make him a good choice. he's got what? something like 41 goals in his last 80 odd games? That's hard to compete with.

I think that's a generalization. Check out my avatar! :laugh:

I think there's a reasonable question to be asked about the inclusion of Duchene over Giroux--both are playmaking centers who would need to be playing wing, and Giroux has the far better track record in terms of production and he's more versatile--in terms of playing the PK, etc.

Ewan McGregor*

Kunitz over MSL.

Wonder if Stevie just doesn't want MSL to get hurt in the Olympics.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I think that's a generalization. Check out my avatar! :laugh:

I think there's a reasonable question to be asked about the inclusion of Duchene over Giroux--both are playmaking centers who would need to be playing wing, and Giroux has the far better track record in terms of production and he's more versatile--in terms of playing the PK, etc.

As a Flyer fan for 40 years living in Philly, it's not a generalization, I think. Some Flyer fans do appreciate Carter but based on the HF Flyer comments, those on CSN Pilly, Broad St hockey and other public forums, he's still not respected or liked much. I work with Flyer fans who are great people, good friends but for he most part, Flyer fans not hockey fans. They trash talk ex Flyers way too much, esp Carter.

Duchene vs Giroux- I don't see G being better than Duchene, I think they're both very good, talented players. Duchene's a much faster and better skater, which will ne a huge asset on bigger ice. And Im' sure that weighed in his favor. And Duchene's had a much stronger and more consistent season so far. Giroux is .87 career and Duchene .77 but G has played in more games which would affect that.
And I don't see G as being a lot more versatile, Canada has a lot of good PK'ers, they won't take G based on that.
Both are very good exciting young players who should be providing NHL fans with excitement for a long time.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Carter's skating ability put him over the top here. I'd think if on the committee it came down to a few guys they'd look and see who's the better skater. I don't know if he gets in over St. Louis or if Duchene gets in over Giroux if this weren't in Sochi. That said, I'm really happy for Carter to get in after all his hard work over the past couple seasons. He definitely deserves this.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
People will forever be judging the Carter pick but its far from bad. Some people like MSL deserve spots over plugs like Nash but too late now. Carter can play top unit PK, play on the PP, adds speed, and isn't a midget so he has so many attractive qualities. The hate will flow for Carter for the same reasons it always has.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I think Carter is an exceptional choice for Canada, if you think about it. One of the top goal scorers in the Western Conference, tremendous skater, size, solid defensively, can play center or wing and is a good penalty killer. He's even a good face-off man if you need it. What more could you ask for? Giroux is a great talent and it's surprising that he's not on the team but in terms of fit I think Carter should be excellent for Canada.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
As a Flyer fan for 40 years living in Philly, it's not a generalization, I think. Some Flyer fans do appreciate Carter but based on the HF Flyer comments, those on CSN Pilly, Broad St hockey and other public forums, he's still not respected or liked much. I work with Flyer fans who are great people, good friends but for he most part, Flyer fans not hockey fans. They trash talk ex Flyers way too much, esp Carter.

Duchene vs Giroux- I don't see G being better than Duchene, I think they're both very good, talented players. Duchene's a much faster and better skater, which will ne a huge asset on bigger ice. And Im' sure that weighed in his favor. And Duchene's had a much stronger and more consistent season so far. Giroux is .87 career and Duchene .77 but G has played in more games which would affect that.
And I don't see G as being a lot more versatile, Canada has a lot of good PK'ers, they won't take G based on that.
Both are very good exciting young players who should be providing NHL fans with excitement for a long time.

As I said on the Flyers board, I think picking Duchene over Giroux is defensible, particularly considering Duchene's world-class skating ability.

I was just pointing out that I didn't believe that Carter "took" Giroux's spot or was selected over Giroux. I think they were fighting for different roles on the team.

Yeah SO weak...
- Couture didn't even make it.

He's hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad