Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Maybe so but for years I've read here by people who don't play the game how toughness isn't measured by fighting or whatever and the three top listed guys are easily the best and most feared fighters the past five years.

But of those three guys he has the least amount of ice time to use that toughness and intimidation.

A guy like Lucic who played in the top-6 has more opportunity to use that toughness and intimidation on the other team.

Let alone Chara, who is always playing against the top guys on the other team.

I'm all for tough and intimidating players, but if they are stuck playing in a 4th line role come playoff time I just don't think it's as big an impact.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
But of those three guys he has the least amount of ice time to use that toughness and intimidation.

A guy like Lucic who played in the top-6 has more opportunity to use that toughness and intimidation on the other team.

Let alone Chara, who is always playing against the top guys on the other team.

I'm all for tough and intimidating players, but if they are stuck playing in a 4th line role come playoff time I just don't think it's as big an impact.

My point is, maybe his mere presence in uniform is enough, regardless of minutes. Again, I've read here for years that Reaves types are useless, but maybe they do a lot more then shows up on a stat sheet.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
My point is, maybe his mere presence in uniform is enough, regardless of minutes. Again, I've read here for years that Reaves types are useless, but maybe they do a lot more then shows up on a stat sheet.
The difference is Reavers can actually skate, bring the hitting game and play the sport.

In my opinion, Reaves is a different type of player than the Derek Boogaard, Donald Brashear or John Scott types.

Reactions: bluetib and Strafer

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
That is a fair point and I agree with that.
I’d welcome Reaves on my team any day of the week. I think he’s the type of player many here want Acciari to mold his game around. He reminds me of Lucic from 2007-2009 with a lot less skill.

I definitely think there is a place on rosters for a “cop” type of player - however, that player has to be able to keep up with the new speed style of play, he has to be able to hit, he has to be defensively responsible, and he needs to be effective in other areas of the game that help the team win.

I think we are seeing a lot of that type of player on our own 4th line this season.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
lmao this thread seems so irrelevant right now.
I cant believe I'm wasting a post on this but....yes, it is now.
When it was posted we had Vatrano and Agostino on our 4th line and NO McQuaid for 6 weeks so to come here celebrating how tough they played today WITH McQuaid (and Acciari playing tougher lately -as requested) only proves my point... so thanks.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I cant believe I'm wasting a post on this but....yes, it is now.
When it was posted we had Vatrano and Agostino on our 4th line and NO McQuaid for 6 weeks so to come here celebrating how tough they played today WITH McQuaid (and Acciari playing tougher lately -as requested) only proves my point... so thanks.
McQuaid should see the end of that deal he signed

13 Cup Finals games and broke Raffi Torres face

'What's in your wallet'

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed 100% and I'm sure the rest of the board would agree too.

Edit: sorry, missed the "t" on the first word.

So until your edit your basically saying my stuff is irrelevant? Some (not all certainly) like my contributions around here.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think the OP was proven correct. Team plays better when they are tougher and not afraid to mix it up. Having McQuaid in the lineup and guys handling themselves prevented todays game from getting ugly with cheap shots and the like.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I think the OP was proven correct. Team plays better when they are tougher and not afraid to mix it up. Having McQuaid in the lineup and guys handling themselves prevented todays game from getting ugly with cheap shots and the like.

I love McQuaid and enjoy big hits and fights but I don't believe having a guy like him dressed really prevents dirty play all that much

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I love McQuaid and enjoy big hits and fights but I don't believe having a guy like him dressed really prevents dirty play all that much

Both sides of this argument are unprovable, IMO.

No player is ever going to say that he was thinking about roughing up a smaller guy or throwing a dirty hit, but didn’t because a tough guy was on the ice.

I tend to take the word of the players and I know that a consistent theme that I’ve heard since I started watching hockey was that tough guys “make space” for the finesse guys.

Reactions: bluetib and Ladyfan

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Both sides of this argument are unprovable, IMO.

No player is ever going to say that he was thinking about roughing up a smaller guy or throwing a dirty hit, but didn’t because a tough guy was on the ice.

I tend to take the word of the players and I know that a consistent theme that I’ve heard since I started watching hockey was that tough guys “make space” for the finesse guys.

We've just seen so many dirty hits against our guys over the years. Hell, Gryz got hit just the other night against Winnipeg. These tough players have their place. I do believe their physical play opens up space on the ice and guys like McQuaid definitely bring intimidation as we see anytime he challenges a guy who then immediately puts his head down and gets off the ice as soon as possible. I just don't think they do all that much to prevent dirty hits.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We've just seen so many dirty hits against our guys over the years. Hell, Gryz got hit just the other night against Winnipeg. These tough players have their place. I do believe their physical play opens up space on the ice and guys like McQuaid definitely bring intimidation as we see anytime he challenges a guy who then immediately puts his head down and gets off the ice as soon as possible. I just don't think they do all that much to prevent dirty hits.

I understand that perspective, but we can also wonder if there would be even more if not for McQuaid, Chara, Miller?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The important thing is not having goons on the roster. The important thing is “team toughness” and having each other’s backs.

Given some recent events involving Rask and Carlo, Pasta having Bergy’s back with Girardi, and Marchand and Carlo yesterday, I would say this team looks out for one another. That’s more important than a Reaves-type on the roster.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
The important thing is not having goons on the roster. The important thing is “team toughness” and having each other’s backs.

Given some recent events involving Rask and Carlo, Pasta having Bergy’s back with Girardi, and Marchand and Carlo yesterday, I would say this team looks out for one another. That’s more important than a Reaves-type on the roster.
Exactly! Don't forget we have a couple Reaves-types already.

The Bruins are a wolf pack and the alpha dog just happens to be a grizzly bear.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
KPD on Looch:

Only one word for Milan Lucic’s second season in Edmonton: awful.

The ex-Bruins power forward, once the most menacing presence in the NHL, looked dial-up s-l-o-w all season and barely could buy himself a spot on the scoresheet. Final line: 82 games, 10-24—34. And the big fella is on the books for five more years at a whopping $6 million per.

“I felt like I let a lot of my teammates down,” said the hulking Lucic as he and his Oil buddies cleaned out their lockers last Sunday.

“I’m not happy or even proud with the way I played,” said Lucic.

If there is a way back, and it looks like a small window of opportunity for the 6-foot-3-inch left wing heavyweight, it will be to trim some 12-15 pounds this summer and report to camp with his head fixed on being a fleet-footed crash and banger.

“I’ve always found a way to come back even stronger, and that’s basically where my head is at heading into the offseason,” Lucic told the Edmonton media. “There are definitely ways to bounce back, but it’s all on me to do that. I am not giving up on myself or this team.”

Hard not to root for Lucic. He was a huge fan favorite in Boston, his No. 17 Bruins sweater a No. 1 seller league-wide for much of his time here, particularly when he was rolling up career highs of 62 and 61 points in back-to-back seasons and beating down anyone nuts enough to challenge him.

Sunday Hockey Notes: Al Iafrate’s advice? ‘Stay in school and get the degree, man’ - The Boston Globe

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I thought I would give it some time so people have their emotions (or excuses) collected before I pose these questions:

1) Did our team (in particular our 'super-effective-in the-less-physical-regular-season-4th line') not get bullied by the Tampa 4th line?

2) Did the 220pd Schaller look like a hungry Wolf (hitting with ill will and intent like a Kunitz, Callahan, Pacquette) or a playoff Scheep to you? Was Acciari the consistent, physical force that we would expect from his role, in response to what was going on?

3) Did Boston's forwards dish out ANYWHERE near the same amount of punishment to Tampa's D as their forwards inflicted on ours?

That is all, thanks for your time.

Reactions: bluetib

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I thought I would give it some time so people have their emotions (or excuses) collected before I pose these questions:

1) Did our team (in particular our 'super-effective-in the-less-physical-regular-season-4th line') not get bullied by the Tampa 4th line?

2) Did the 220pd Schaller look like a hungry Wolf (hitting with ill will and intent like a Kunitz, Callahan, Pacquette) or a playoff Scheep to you? Was Acciari the consistent, physical force that we would expect from his role, in response to what was going on?

3) Did Boston's forwards dish out ANYWHERE near the same amount of punishment to Tampa's D as their forwards inflicted on ours?

That is all, thanks for your time.
Missed your post after the Toronto series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad