Dressing Sheep in Wolves Clothing (Mod Warning page 35)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
O’Reilly also reiterated his anti-fighting stance, which was borne as much out of practicality than anything else.

“I always said that it can’t last. It’s called a sport. You can’t have a game where you allow two grown men to drop the gloves and start punching each other. The NHL can’t defend themselves against a concussion suit if they allow that to continue to happen. It’s just common sense,” O’Reilly said. “But what was beautiful about the game, and they haven’t lost this, is the players would compete so hard, so intensely that they were willing to get to that point where they dropped the gloves. That’s what you want to maintain, that absolute intensity.

“So they adjusted the rules and I have to give Mario Lemieux a lot of credit. Why do you want the best players in the game to be taken out by a third- or fourth-liner checker? Why are we allowing that? One of the best things they did was keeping a record of a player when he gets a suspension or a fine. It goes on his record then the next one it increases. That tones a player down. You eventually get the message. We never had that progressive punishment.”

Conroy: Bruins legend Terry O’Reilly would fight to keep today’s NHL fast and clean

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
O’Reilly also reiterated his anti-fighting stance, which was borne as much out of practicality than anything else.

“I always said that it can’t last. It’s called a sport. You can’t have a game where you allow two grown men to drop the gloves and start punching each other. The NHL can’t defend themselves against a concussion suit if they allow that to continue to happen. It’s just common sense,” O’Reilly said. “But what was beautiful about the game, and they haven’t lost this, is the players would compete so hard, so intensely that they were willing to get to that point where they dropped the gloves. That’s what you want to maintain, that absolute intensity.

“So they adjusted the rules and I have to give Mario Lemieux a lot of credit. Why do you want the best players in the game to be taken out by a third- or fourth-liner checker? Why are we allowing that? One of the best things they did was keeping a record of a player when he gets a suspension or a fine. It goes on his record then the next one it increases. That tones a player down. You eventually get the message. We never had that progressive punishment.”

Conroy: Bruins legend Terry O’Reilly would fight to keep today’s NHL fast and clean

Thought that was interesting coming from Terry O’Reilly. Never knew he was on that side of the fence

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don’t understand the whole NHL concussion issue now. Players know the risks with fighting. If two players are willing to challenge those risks to fight, let them. Grown men who can make decisions on their own.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don’t understand the whole NHL concussion issue now. Players know the risks with fighting. If two players are willing to challenge those risks to fight, let them. Grown men who can make decisions on their own.

Not with todays liabilities. Its also against the rules.
Your avatar shows the Intl Assoc of Fire Fighters. My dad was a Jake for 30 years. My uncles too.

So lets say you decide not to wear your helmet. Or your a manly man , you decide against a Scotts airpack. That all a-ok?
I mean youre an adult right?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not with todays liabilities. Its also against the rules.

It’s against the rules for the NHL to, generally speaking, say “you guys can do what you want when it comes to fighting”?

Your avatar shows the Intl Assoc of Fire Fighters. My dad was a Jake for 30 years. My uncles too.

That’s awesome! My father has been doing it for 40 years.

So lets say you decide not to wear your helmet. Or your a manly man , you decide against a Scotts airpack. That all a-ok?

I mean youre an adult right?

Nope. If I’m at a job that requires a helmet or Scott and I’m not wearing one, I get suspended because we have SOPs that require them to be used.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It’s against the rules for the NHL to, generally speaking, say “you guys can do what you want when it comes to fighting”?

That’s awesome! My father has been doing it for 40 years.

Nope. If I’m at a job that requires a helmet or Scott and I’m not wearing one, I get suspended because we have SOPs that require them to be used.

Same thing then. Its against the rules. If they want to step outside its against the law.

You must wear your PPE to protect yourself even from yourself. Hence the rules.
Nodifferent than say hockey helmets. Now visors. Seat belts in cars. Smoke detectors in homes. Car seats for children.
Its not a choice. Not anymore . For essentially the same basic principle.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Same thing then. Its against the rules. If they want to step outside its against the law.

Nodifferent than say hockey helmets. Now visors. Seat belts in cars. Smoke detectors in homes. Car seats for children.

Why doesn’t the NHL just go ahead and ban fighting? What’s stopping them from doing that.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Why doesn’t the NHL just go ahead and ban fighting? What’s stopping them from doing that.

Just time. Hey havent had enough of a scare.....yet. But it will come. Evolution.
But never forget it is penalized and potentially fined depending to the extent. Its not technically acceptable. Thats been the leagues position to date. But it wont hold water in the future.
At last count and I haven’t looked in the last year or so the league had six class action suits against it waiting for dates.
When it hits the tipping point that it hurts the owners it will end for good.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Josh Anderson last 20 games: 3-1-4. -12 and 5-6 minutes less ice time since beginning to latest. Slump or really a bottom 6 forward?

Curious to see what Lucic's numbers are over that same span. I don't think he's scored a goal in at least a month now.

If you want to talk about how the game has changed (for better or worse) and how a player has failed to adapt with it, he's your poster child....

Edmonton is stuck with a slow, overweight forward who can't score, for like 4-5 more years at stupid money.....

Reactions: jdz

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Curious to see what Lucic's numbers are over that same span. I don't think he's scored a goal in at least a month now.

If you want to talk about how the game has changed (for better or worse) and how a player has failed to adapt with it, he's your poster child....

Edmonton is stuck with a slow, overweight forward who can't score, for like 4-5 more years at stupid money.....

What a horrible deal that is.... I've been thinking recently about all the poor moves Chia has made since going there. I'm shocked he hasn't been shitcanned yet... and Lucic hasn't scored a goal since before Christmas. Awful.

As far Anderson Columbus has serious f***ing problems.... Torts wears out his welcome quickly so maybe it's that, but Anderson is absolutely someone I target. He's the new power forward type that can actually skate well and play in this NHL. I would love for Donnie to swing something for him. We have the assets to do it. That's what I want from here on out, no more rentals... make a hockey trade if you're gonna make one.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Its been 2 months actually.
Theres an article around here somewhere where he himself says he's too slow and cant keep up. That his focus this off season will be to lose weight.

Reactions: RoccoF14

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
We saw what a team that has a few slow, bruising, tough fighting and big hitting forwards looks like last night. It's not the future of the NHL, the future is speed and positional checking. I mean I'll miss the Scott Stevens and Johnny Boychuck moments as much as anybody, but guys like Lucic, Maroon are not made for the new NHL.

Schaller, Acciari, Kuraly are actually a great heavy fourth line. Debrusk, Backes bring heaviness on the other lines. If you think this team needs heavy, take no crap, fighting forwards I think you are looking backwards.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Reaves was just traded to Vegas as part of the Brassard deal, so I guess the whole "they felt they needed a tough guy to protect their stars" narrative went right out the window.
It flew out the window fairly quickly when they could use his salary to acquire a player that's actually good. For sure.

Reactions: dabid and maxl7

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

So you advocate suspensions for slashing? Crosschecking? Also illegal and not part of the game

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I feel it's optional and up to the player. I would wear a helmet but I always hated shields and cages. Half shields are worse like wearing bifocals, at least they were to me.

Courts have a nasty habit of listening to lawyers in court action lawsuits

Your honor the league knew helmets protect the head and did not exercise their responsibility to protect their employees. They operated an unsafe work enviroment and we would like several billions of dollars for our lawsuit.

Thanks

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

One big part of that I have issue with though.The league controls who ends up with a paper trail.Some players deserve one and never get one while others they go right after guns ablazing.Other then that I agree with what O Reilly said.The League needs it's skill players and Bruins have one who should be treated same way

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Its pathetic to see what hockey has become and apparently a very vocal portion of its base.

People can talk all they want about lawsuits and concussions when attendance drops owners will realize their mistake and you'll see fighting pick up again.

Besides the complainers on here and some of the media I see very few actually fans who go to games dislike fighting, polls say players and fans want it.

Once again a small portion of a populace feels the need to try and force their views on the majority because it's something they don't like.

When hockey finally becomes Disney on Ice I will have more money and free time because I won't waste my time watching wimps hold speed skating compettions with sticks.

Curious how the team with a top 5 record felt it needed Reaves because Vegas had no toughness.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Its pathetic to see what hockey has become and apparently a very vocal portion of its base.

People can talk all they want about lawsuits and concussions when attendance drops owners will realize their mistake and you'll see fighting pick up again.

Besides the complainers on here and some of the media I see very few actually fans who go to games dislike fighting, polls say players and fans want it.

Once again a small portion of a populace feels the need to try and force their views on the majority because it's something they don't like.

When hockey finally becomes Disney on Ice I will have more money and free time because I won't waste my time watching wimps hold speed skating compettions with sticks.

Curious how the team with a top 5 record felt it needed Reaves because Vegas had no toughness.

Minority, unfortunately, seems to rule in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad