Confirmed with Link: Dreger: Byfuglien extension official: 5 years AAV $7.6 million

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
These media types call up Bill Waters as he's chilling on his deck in Florida having a cocktail, and call it inside info. Its laughable.

I take all of these reports with a grain of salt, personally. I'm not sure what this THN writer or an agent that doesn't act for Buff would have to gain by releasing this info though. Trying to drive up pricing, perhaps?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
These media types call up Bill Waters as he's chilling on his deck in Florida having a cocktail, and call it inside info. Its laughable.

Watters is not an agent. He's an idiot. Read the tweet.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Do you like the deal? I wanted something done in the summer (or at least earlier than this), but it's very possible the deal as structured simply couldn't get done earlier. There are two parties in these negotiations.

And I do realize I'm not saying anything you don't already know, just curious about whether you liked the deal, and given that it got done, if the timing should be of concern. The only thing I could see being a concern for me would be the potential distraction for the dressing room. :dunno:

I love the deal. Wish Chevy had've gotten it done in the summer instead of 3 weeks from TDL, but eh. I agree with the distraction thought. The writing has to be on the wall now, and Ladd's contract is like a giant elephant in the room. The sooner Chevy deals with that, the less fractured and stressed the locker room will be.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
7.6 million is ridiculous for Buff....this will be a contract people will regret....

I knew some folks would be upset but 30 to 1 in favor sounds pretty good. I love it because I've come to realize that we would be in some terrible shape without Buff. Its a great term; sure 7.6 may be high but he was getting >8 on the open market and 6+ years, so good deal.

Not saying this doesn't have the potential of blowing up & us all complaining in 3 years about Buff like we have about Ladd this year, but its what we need now & hopefully proves to be a good signing throughout the contract

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love the deal. Wish Chevy had've gotten it done in the summer instead of 3 weeks from TDL, but eh. I agree with the distraction thought. The writing has to be on the wall now, and Ladd's contract is like a giant elephant in the room. The sooner Chevy deals with that, the less fractured and stressed the locker room will be.

The players should be professional enough to not have things like this effect them. The LA Kings went about it as business as usual while the Kopitar contract situation dragged on for half the season. Tampa Bay business as usual despite Stamkos not being signed.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Most of us here are not patient enough to be a GM. Was a 5 yr deal possible in July? Many were arguing then that it would take 8 years to get it done. The next chapter will be interesting to watch :popcorn:

I'm still wondering if Chevy was even talking to Buff's agent in a serious manner before the last 2 weeks or a month. Maybe Chevy was spending all his efforts on trying to sign Ladd since the summer knowing full well that it wouldn't take long at all to sign Buff once talking got serious.

As far as the deal... 5 years at any price and I'm OK with it. Buff is unique and it takes dollars to keep someone like that. But anything over 5 years would have been a huge risk IMO.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm still wondering if Chevy was even talking to Buff's agent in a serious manner before the last 2 weeks or a month. Maybe Chevy was spending all his efforts on trying to sign Ladd since the summer knowing full well that it wouldn't take long at all to sign Buff once talking got serious.

As far as the deal... 5 years at any price and I'm OK with it. Buff is unique and it takes dollars to keep someone like that. But anything over 5 years would have been a huge risk IMO.

Early reports were Buff wanted 8 years, the Jets wanted 3. Looks like the Buff side blinked first.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Until next season when its Perreault and Stafford, and then the following season when its Trouba and Scheif. There is always going to be a pending UFA.

Dressing rooms across the NHL deal with this on a yearly bases. GM's motive for rushing into a deal should never be about the effects on a dressing room.

The deal signed yesterday was a solid deal, regardless of the timing of it. I find it odd that some choose to assess this deal on its timing, not the actual deal itself. Same thing last season with the Kane deal. Solid deal regardless of when it transpired, yet some could only reflect on that, instead of the haul we got in return for Kane and Bogo

Nov 24, 2006
How would Buff's agent know other team(s) were willing to go up to $8M unless another GM told him that? If another team's GM told him that while Buff was under contract to the Jets, wouldn't that constitute tampering, unless the Jets gave permission for such discussions? With the Jets trying to sign Buff, is the chance that they gave such permission any bigger than zero?

I'd be completely surprised if informal tampering didn't take place each and every day, multiple times per day, in the NHL. I'm not talking written offers, but conversations between agents and GM's getting a feel for the market for their player. I think it's foolish to think otherwise.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I'd be completely surprised if informal tampering didn't take place each and every day, multiple times per day, in the NHL. I'm not talking written offers, but conversations between agents and GM's getting a feel for the market for their player. I think it's foolish to think otherwise.

Completely agree. No doubt in my mind the NHL is a crooked place when it comes to this stuff between GM's, agents, and their own 4 walls and telephone lines.

Last edited:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Watters is not an agent. He's an idiot. Read the tweet.

He is a retired agent.....and perhaps a bit senile ;) Also spends all day on the phone with reporters.

Also I have have no idea what "agent" he spoke too, I'm just making a broad statement on the validity of these tweets. Even if he spoke to a premier agent, these guys are just out to promote themselves and bring in more clients. They'll say anything!

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He is a retired agent.....and perhaps a bit senile ;) Also spends all day on the phone with reporters.

What makes you think he's the person Kennedy was talking about?

He was also a GM and is known for mostly other things.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I agree with this.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Armia has exactly 2 G, 1A career to date. Thats worse than those who thought Burmi would replace Frolik. We don't currently have a replacement for Ladd. Even if Connor jumps straight to the NHL next year it is going to take him a couple of years to get up to 1st line level of play. No doubt trading Ladd is the way to go but we will miss his production for at least 1 year.

I have to wonder if Ladd and Armia had played in each other's positions and number of games, how different the numbers would be. I'm sure they would be different, but certainly linemates and number of games in the NHL would narrow that gap.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I find that game to be actually a good example of how "not great" Myers actually is (don't want to say bad).

Ovie actually created and out chances/shot more than average against Myers than he normally does. Myers, plus other factors, did fortunately minimize but in the long run you won't do well against Ovi giving him that much.

I then re watched that game and took a short recording of everyone of Myers shifts. Was interesting to see Myers get trapped in a few breakouts and give up the blue line easily. Was a fun practice.

The thing with defence is many confuse defensive play with defensive impact, as impact includes the defensive plays but also all the plays that never occurred due to other things the player does.

In the end though I'm not expecting Myers to be more than what he is already. Exceptions happen but it is unwise to bank on it.

Jets have rolled their d quite a bit. Chicago didn't last year though....

I think I'm picking up what you're throwing down. Kinda like the goalie who never has to make that epic save due to reading and anticipating the play before it happens. Or like how Enstrom is consistently amazing at moving the puck, and breaking up rushes without being flashy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A day late and a dollar short for my comments :laugh:

I have been on the record from day one saying I don't like long term deals for 30 year olds. That being said I think they found a balance on this deal. The AAV hit is approximately market value but the term at 5 years is key. I also like the back dive of $6 million in year five, and the 14 team no trade list that kicks in after year three. This provides options to exit the deal after 3 seasons which is really impressive. I ragged on Chevy for dragging his feet and screwing up the Frolik deal but on the flip side this one shows the upside of patience. They drove a pretty tough but fair bargain to retain their top defenseman.

On a personal note when he isn't driving me crazy :naughty: I find Buff very entertaining as a player and personality. A big part of why I go to the games live is to be entertained and to that end he delivers. Also, I believe Maurice has brought the best out of Buff. Dusty has looked reasonably fit over the last two seasons by his standards and although Buff's flaws will always exist they are less evident to me under Paul.

Unless we were going to completely blow this up I think we had to retain one of Ladd or Buff. Hopefully he keeps producing at a similar rate over the next three seasons.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The Sens just acquired Phaneuf. Anyone who thinks there isn't a GM out there that would give Buff 7 yrs and 8 mil per is nuts.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
A day late and a dollar short for my comments :laugh:

I have been on the record from day one saying I don't like long term deals for 30 year olds. That being said I think they found a balance on this deal. The AAV hit is approximately market value but the term at 5 years is key. I also like the back dive of $6 million in year five, and the 14 team no trade list that kicks in after year three. This provides options to exit the deal after 3 seasons which is really impressive. I ragged on Chevy for dragging his feet and screwing up the Frolik deal but on the flip side this one shows the upside of patience. They drove a pretty tough but fair bargain to retain their top defenseman.

On a personal note when he isn't driving me crazy :naughty: I find Buff very entertaining as a player and personality. A big part of why I go to the games live is to be entertained and to that end he delivers. Also, I believe Maurice has brought the best out of Buff. Dusty has looked reasonably fit over the last two seasons by his standards and although Buff's flaws will always exist they are less evident to me under Paul.

Unless we were going to completely blow this up I think we had to retain one of Ladd or Buff. Hopefully he keeps producing at a similar rate over the next three seasons.

As a betting man, I would wager that we get good value for the life of his contract. No particular reason, I just feel that he won't decline as quickly as the average player.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
You had to think Buff was going to sign after his comments around the all-star game - particularly when he said that his wife was getting stressed about it and that she wanted to stay.

Will be interesting to watch the Ladd situation unfold. I don't think its a certainty that he is gone.

Last edited:

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Very happy that he re-signed!!! perfect length and can't really complain about the price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad