Confirmed with Link: Dreger: Byfuglien extension official: 5 years AAV $7.6 million

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I'm not worried about Buff falling back in his fitness levels. I think he has matured enough since those days. I think this is an unfounded fear.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Late one in, but... Wonderful! Our franchise player is back in the fold!

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I'm not worried about Buff falling back in his fitness levels. I think he has matured enough since those days. I think this is an unfounded fear.

Its 100% not unfounded. He said he put on the weight last time because his grandfather died. What if another personal crisis occurs in his life during the contract?

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Great news! Love everything about Buff. I will be getting a Buff Jersey!

Ladd, would like to keep him but depends on the $$ I'm sure Chevy has a more informed update on his hernia recovery that i believe is affecting him this season. if this season was similar to last I would have said 5-5.25 mil per + 500K bonus for being captain so 5.5 - 5.75 for 5-6 years or so. Without knowing how his his recovery is affecting him, if he will get back to form next year or is this the new post-hernia Ladd ??? its hard know his value. Anyway sounds like Ladd wanted around 6.5 mil and term. I have a hard time coming to terms with that and unfortunately I think I would have to trade him.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Its 100% not unfounded. He said he put on the weight last time because his grandfather died. What if another personal crisis occurs in his life during the contract?

lolwut?

That could be said about any of our other players. What if someone they loved died and they played like crap? non-issue imo, you take that risk with any guaranteed contract.

This is a great signing, no doubt about it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If the Jets had balanced pairs and were able to roll them consistently shift after shift and game after game, like good teams, I think Myers would have more to give. His upside, IMO, is when we play Washington and he shuts down Ovechkin. That's what I would like to see form him consistently, that is a place he can get to.

If Chiarot and Stuart were removed from playing regular minutes, I think we could see that from him. For the low cap hit he gets, its worth being patient.

I also want to see what we have in Paul Postma, who I think, again with the right partner, could be pretty good. I don't know. That bugs me, he's been here forever and I still...don't .....know...

I find that game to be actually a good example of how "not great" Myers actually is (don't want to say bad).

Ovie actually created and out chances/shot more than average against Myers than he normally does. Myers, plus other factors, did fortunately minimize but in the long run you won't do well against Ovi giving him that much.

I then re watched that game and took a short recording of everyone of Myers shifts. Was interesting to see Myers get trapped in a few breakouts and give up the blue line easily. Was a fun practice.

The thing with defence is many confuse defensive play with defensive impact, as impact includes the defensive plays but also all the plays that never occurred due to other things the player does.

In the end though I'm not expecting Myers to be more than what he is already. Exceptions happen but it is unwise to bank on it.

Jets have rolled their d quite a bit. Chicago didn't last year though....

Dhors

Oct 23, 2015
Halifax
Lots said in this thread, I'll just add my two cents saying at the start of the year I was unsure about re-signing Buff, mainly because of the potential long-term deal I feared. Once I heard that a 5 year term was on the table, I was much more excited for him to be re-signed. Glad to see it get done for under 8M. :handclap: I think this basically means Ladd is gone, which at the start of the season would have made me very sad. After this year though I think our leadership will be fine under Wheeler for the future. :)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

well hopefully he has matured enough to deal with it better, or the fact that is married now and has children allows him to go down a different path if such a crisis occurred. Maybe the team itself would be in a better position to help him now.

A personal crisis could throw any of our top players off kilter, in my opinion this is no more of a worry with Buff than it is with any other player. Other players may have a crisis and resort to substance abuse. No one knows. So yeah I suppose you're right it's not unfounded but could be true with any other player as well.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I find that game to be actually a good example of how "not great" Myers actually is (don't want to say bad).

Ovie actually created and out chances/shot more than average against Myers than he normally does. Myers, plus other factors, did fortunately minimize but in the long run you won't do well against Ovi giving him that much.

I then re watched that game and took a short recording of everyone of Myers shifts. Was interesting to see Myers get trapped in a few breakouts and give up the blue line easily. Was a fun practice.

The thing with defence is many confuse defensive play with defensive impact, as impact includes the defensive plays but also all the plays that never occurred due to other things the player does.

In the end though I'm not expecting Myers to be more than what he is already. Exceptions happen but it is unwise to bank on it.

Jets have rolled their d quite a bit. Chicago didn't last year though....

If I remember correctly, Myers was giving up only2 or 3 shots against Ovi in those games. I know one of them he limited him to 2 shots. Two shots..no one can argue that is not really strong defence against Ovi.

Especially given he is one of the leading shooters in the game.

Your saying he got trapped on a few breakouts and gave up the blue line....against Ovi? What defensemen wouldn't on occasion? It sounds like your criticism of Myers is nitpicking.

Your also ignoring the cap hit issue, which certainly falls in Myers favour.

As for Chicago, Keith's performance compensated for the lack of depth on that team. That is an exception, not the rule. Most Cup champions don't have depth issues on d and they roll the same pairs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's nice to dream, but I don't see the Ducks or the Oilers letting either of those players go without a massive over payment. Especially Drai. I don't think Trouba gets you him, TBH (and I love Trouba's game).

Agree about Theodore. I was responding to another post that said either/or. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Not even connected. Ladd should get Larsson though. Almost as good and might come with a pick.

Trouba should get Drai but his value may have dropped a bit. However Trouba is what they need and Drai is what they have a wealth of. It might take an add to get him but Trouba should get most of the way there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It will be close to $30M next year which is crazy. The cap hit for Myers may be $5.5M, however, that in reality is beneficial since he is only making $4M which allows us to stay above the salary floor.

To throw a wrench in things, who is to say that the Jets don't move Enstrom at the trade deadline? Winnipeg could eat salary if needed and deal a +25 defenseman over the last 2 years. +12 alone this year on an underperforming Jets this year may be enticing.

The salary floor is not a problem.

Who is to say? Enstrom. Full NMC. Never mind that he is our only serviceable LHD. +- ?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
this is a bad deal for the jets....

would rather see buff as trade bait than signing him to a long term contract....which will serve as an albatross around the jets neck....

he takes too many needless penalties and make dumb decisions with the puck.....:shakehead

and another thing, i would trade ladd also...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If I remember correctly, Myers was giving up only2 or 3 shots against Ovi in those games. I know one of them he limited him to 2 shots. Two shots..no one can argue that is not really strong defence against Ovi.

Your saying he got trapped on a few breakouts and gave up the blue line....against Ovi? What defensemen wouldn't on occasion? It sounds like your criticism of Myers is nitpicking.

As for Chicago, Keith's performance compensated for the lack of depth on that team. That is an exception, not the rule. Most Cup champions don't have depth issues on d and they roll the same pairs.

When I say shots, I usually mean all shots (like saves, blocks, misses, and goals), not just shots on goal.

I'm not ignoring Cap Hit. I'm just talking about overall value. My point is that Buff has to fall, or Myers has to rise, or both, quite a bit for them to even come out as even level players. I'm not sure that even happens in Buff's contract, and if it does, it'll be near the end and the Jets will have already tried their best with this core anyways.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
When I say shots, I usually mean all shots (like saves, blocks, misses, and goals), not just shots on goal.

I'm not ignoring Cap Hit. I'm just talking about overall value. My point is that Buff has to fall, or Myers has to rise, or both, quite a bit for them to even come out as even level players. I'm not sure that even happens in Buff's contract, and if it does, it'll be near the end and the Jets will have already tried their best with this core anyways.

This core has been done for awhile, I would sooner take my chances with Myers, his age, and his cap hit than Buff at 7.76..

Now one of Trouba/Myers is gone, we can't pay 18 million dollars to the right side of the d...

whatever stress I had an hour ago is worse now because God knows what Chevy has going on next...

If nothing else, maybe Postma gets a chance..

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
this is a bad deal for the jets....

would rather see buff as trade bait than signing him to a long term contract....which will serve as an albatross around the jets neck....

he takes too many needless penalties and make dumb decisions with the puck.....:shakehead

and another thing, i would trade ladd also...

5 years is not long term, 8 is. 5 is the perfect amount, 35 is how old he'll be when his contract is over. If it were 8, those final 3 might've been an issue... we completely bypass that with 5.

If we're trading players because of dumb penalties/dumb puck plays half the team should go... :shakehead

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
wow that's....really disappointing...too much money..too much term...looks like a retool as opposed to a rebuild..

that' the wrong call...Chevy doesn't have the stones to make the right long term call..

wow this really is a huge bummer....I am stunned...

and worse...one of Myers or Trouba might get dealt..

No RHD is going to be traded until after when/if we pick up a top 4 LHD.

We have kept our best player. How can that be a bad thing?

Its a lot of money but it is less than he would have gotten in FA. He took a discount to stay. The term is good. He will still be a top pair D for at least most of the term. It was only a longer term I was afraid of.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
No RHD is going to be traded until after when/if we pick up a top 4 LHD.

We have kept our best player. How can that be a bad thing?

Its a lot of money but it is less than he would have gotten in FA. He took a discount to stay. The term is good. He will still be a top pair D for at least most of the term. It was only a longer term I was afraid of.

I think Wheeler right now is our best player.

I don't see 7.76 as much of a discount.

Don't hold your breath on that left handed d..

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think Wheeler right now is our best player.

I don't see 7.76 as much of a discount.

Don't hold your breath on that left handed d..

Wheeler is on a fantastic contract but it was signed when he was still RFA.

Buff would have commanded 6-7 years at $8M+ on the open market. It's a discount on both $ and term from that perspective.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Except 7.6m is under market value for Buff and 5.5m for Myers is over market value.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Remove Ladd and insert Armia and we're no worse off. Plus the return on Ladd... No-brainer.

Armia has exactly 2 G, 1A career to date. Thats worse than those who thought Burmi would replace Frolik. We don't currently have a replacement for Ladd. Even if Connor jumps straight to the NHL next year it is going to take him a couple of years to get up to 1st line level of play. No doubt trading Ladd is the way to go but we will miss his production for at least 1 year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is a risk that Buff loses his conditioning but I don't think it is significantly greater than it is with any other player. In fact right now I worry more about Trouba.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
You know I thinks it's great Buff's here you know for another five years, you know he will still be dominant then, you know of he stays health you know he can, pretty sure he likes it here you know, otherwise you know he wouldn't have signed here you know.....:D

AngelicAssassin*

You know I thinks it's great Buff's here you know for another five years, you know he will still be dominant then, you know of he stays health you know he can, pretty sure he likes it here you know, otherwise you know he wouldn't have signed here you know.....:D

Dale Carnegie would be so proud.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad