Confirmed with Link: Dreger: Byfuglien extension official: 5 years AAV $7.6 million

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
This core has been done for awhile, I would sooner take my chances with Myers, his age, and his cap hit than Buff at 7.76..

Now one of Trouba/Myers is gone, we can't pay 18 million dollars to the right side of the d...

whatever stress I had an hour ago is worse now because God knows what Chevy has going on next...

If nothing else, maybe Postma gets a chance..

Well, see the issue is that in my opinion this core hasn't been done for a while and could succeed, but this core has not been supported appropriately.

If we could fix the third pair (ie: trade Stuart away) we should be fine with Trouba on the left side.

There was a rumour Trouba wanted 6x6.5. Let's say he gets 5x6.

Enstrom (5.75) - Byfuglien (7.6)
Trouba (6.00) - Myers (5.5)
Morrissey (0.863) - Postma (0.888)

I put Morrissey there, but Chiarot and Pardy are not much more expensive. You end up with a top 6 of 26.6.
Looking at past Stanley Cup teams, and a modest guess of 72.8M Cap with weak Canadian dollar, the Jets will be spending about 3% more of their Cap on defense than the avg SC team. That works out to 2 mill overpay on defense.

I think the Jets can survive that 2 mill overpay if they are smart with their forwards, especially given how many of the Jets good forwards are young, and have so many promising future forwards (Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Petan, De Leo, Armia, Lowry, Copp, Lemieux, etc.) who will be filling the gaps at low cost.

Now let's say they trade Myers or Trouba for Hamonic in some deal. Then you are looking at that 2 mill over investment in resources being about on the dot.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Wheeler right now is our best player.

I don't see 7.76 as much of a discount.

Don't hold your breath on that left handed d..

Wheeler-Buff, if not one then the other.

It is 7.6. It is a discount if the GMs who expected him to get 8 are to be believed. I'll take their estimate over yours. Maybe we could have got the AAV down by giving him more term. I'll take the shorter term, thanks.

No need to hold my breath. If we don't get him your fear of losing one of Trouba or Myers disappears. Trouba will play the left side. We still only have 4 top 4 D. That's the right number.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Wow ... Jets sign their all star defenceman at a home discount rate and some people don't like it? Really??
I know 29 teams that are upset too.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Most of us are very happy with this signing. The few who are not are getting pretty beat up. I just figured I'd remind everyone that it wasn't that long ago "trade Buff" was the common sentiment around here. We're a fickle bunch. ;)

But yeah, again, I'm very pleased with the signing.

Incidentally, I'd also point to this very fact as a reason Chevy's patience is sometimes a good thing. If you have time, use it to make a more informed decision. "Sign Ladd" and "do it now" was being shouted often and loudly in the off-season and early part of the year.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Well, see the issue is that in my opinion this core hasn't been done for a while and could succeed, but this core has not been supported appropriately.

Fully agree.

If we could fix the third pair (ie: trade Stuart away) we should be fine with Trouba on the left side.

That looks great.
Stuart's ice-time and contract is for sure one of those inexplicable TNSE decisions. But maybe the expense of Buff's contract will finally force Chevy's hand.

I think the Jets can survive that 2 mill overpay if they are smart with their forwards, especially given how many of the Jets good forwards are young, and have so many promising future forwards (Connor, Ehlers, Roslovic, Petan, De Leo, Armia, Lowry, Copp, Lemieux, etc.) who will be filling the gaps at low cost.

Yep. And we don't even really need to be overly optimistic on how man of these guys pan out. That's almost 3 full lines of guys you mentioned right there, and there's others you could add to that list. We're absolutely stacked with forward prospects.

Now let's say they trade Myers or Trouba for Hamonic in some deal. Then you are looking at that 2 mill over investment in resources being about on the dot.

I wonder how heavily Chevy is considering this. Maybe there is some advantage to doing this in the off-season? When Hamonic is putting even more pressure on the Isles for a trade? When we could play the field a bit more and see what else might be offered for either of our players, even if just as a negotiating tactic?

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Happy with the contract. My dream contract scenario would have been 5 years at $6.5 AAV but that would have been too much of a dream I guess so 5 years at $7.6 is fine for me ... especially considering his agent said that the open market was ready to pay $8.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
How would Buff's agent know other team(s) were willing to go up to $8M unless another GM told him that? If another team's GM told him that while Buff was under contract to the Jets, wouldn't that constitute tampering, unless the Jets gave permission for such discussions? With the Jets trying to sign Buff, is the chance that they gave such permission any bigger than zero?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Signing Buff now is still the second-best option to me. Buff says he is on board with "the process" and TNSE was obviously willing to give him his numbers. So why not aid the process by giving Buff (and his family) a little playoff vacation for a couple of months in return for a #1 pick and a good prospect (or something like that), and then signing him for his numbers on July 1? I wonder if that discussion even happened. Probably not.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
How would Buff's agent know other team(s) were willing to go up to $8M unless another GM told him that? If another team's GM told him that while Buff was under contract to the Jets, wouldn't that constitute tampering, unless the Jets gave permission for such discussions? With the Jets trying to sign Buff, is the chance that they gave such permission any bigger than zero?

It was another agent (not Buff's) that made the claim that he would have commanded $8M per year:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wow ... Jets sign their all star defenceman at a home discount rate and some people don't like it? Really??
Go figure , right now if you had to pick 1 Jet that puts butts in the seats it's Big Buff and if i was running a franchise this would be damn important considering how much money players make and how much it costs to go to a game . This has to be talked about by management when they are due to resign a player like Buff ..... oh wait THERE IS NO PLAYER LIKE BUFF !! :handclap::):)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I put Morrissey there, but Chiarot and Pardy are not much more expensive. You end up with a top 6 of 26.6.
Looking at past Stanley Cup teams, and a modest guess of 72.8M Cap with weak Canadian dollar, the Jets will be spending about 3% more of their Cap on defense than the avg SC team. That works out to 2 mill overpay on defense.

Agreed. Don't see a problem going forward with d-man costs. Let's say we sign Trouba 6 X $5.5 we will be fine. It might be a little over average d-man costs now but Stu and Toby are off the books in 2 years and that is $8.4 M. Even if Toby re-signs it will be for a lower number. Morrissey will be looking for no more than a bridge in a couple years and Myers is singed long term. Most importantly as long as Ladd gets moved we won't have real cap pressures for a couple years with the amount of young forwards in the system even if we sign Scheif to a long term deal.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
16 hours later, I'm still in shock that Chevy did something.

Most of us here are not patient enough to be a GM. Was a 5 yr deal possible in July? Many were arguing then that it would take 8 years to get it done. The next chapter will be interesting to watch :popcorn:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Most of us here are not patient enough to be a GM. Was a 5 yr deal possible in July? Many were arguing then that it would take 8 years to get it done. The next chapter will be interesting to watch :popcorn:

I mean, it's one thing to be patient and calculating, but Chevy makes a sloth seem animated by comparison.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I mean, it's one thing to be patient and calculating, but Chevy makes a sloth seem animated by comparison.

Do you like the deal? I wanted something done in the summer (or at least earlier than this), but it's very possible the deal as structured simply couldn't get done earlier. There are two parties in these negotiations.

And I do realize I'm not saying anything you don't already know, just curious about whether you liked the deal, and given that it got done, if the timing should be of concern. The only thing I could see being a concern for me would be the potential distraction for the dressing room. :dunno:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I good with this deal. But hometown discount? No, this is probably very close to his value on the open market, in my opinion.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Armia has exactly 2 G, 1A career to date. Thats worse than those who thought Burmi would replace Frolik. We don't currently have a replacement for Ladd. Even if Connor jumps straight to the NHL next year it is going to take him a couple of years to get up to 1st line level of play. No doubt trading Ladd is the way to go but we will miss his production for at least 1 year.
It's proven to take new players to Maurice's system up to a half season to get their offensive game going under his system...especially young players, since they're first taught to focus on the defensive responsibilities. Armia passes the eye test; he's going to be a very good top 6 forward in the NHL.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
The best part of this deal in my mind is the term.. Everyone assumed Buff would be looking for a 7 or 8 year deal and you'd still be paying him 8mil per year for longer term. Getting him to agree on a 5 year deal (while yes, paying him what he is worth) is a coup. Chevy protected himself should Buff start to decline in years 3 or 4

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I good with this deal. But hometown discount? No, this is probably very close to his value on the open market, in my opinion.

Would likely be a 7 yr deal on the open market. 5 yrs is a form of a discount IMO

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Would likely be a 7 yr deal on the open market. 5 yrs is a form of a discount IMO

absolutely. There is no way in hell Buff on the open market doesn't net a 7 year at least and still over 7mil per. Somebody would have paid up for sure...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It was another agent (not Buff's) that made the claim that he would have commanded $8M per year:

These media types call up Bill Waters as he's chilling on his deck in Florida having a cocktail, and call it inside info. Its laughable.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I could be wrong, but I don't think Buff wants to play more than 5 more years.

whatever you say man. Lol...you go ahead and trust your own inside info then. :D Even if Buff does want to be done in 5, why not take it to the open market, get a little bidding war going and see if Chevy is willing to bump up the dollars some?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad