Rumor: Dreger: asking price for Clowe is....

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Good article by Duhatschek about Clowe's value now that Iggy's off the market:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-as-buyers-outnumber-sellers/article10546087/

There aren't many top 6 UFA forwards available and no other power forwards. Even though Sharks are playing well this week, Clowe's value could be maximized at this point. I'd hate to see him go but it may make most sense for the long run.

If the sharks can get a prospect that is close or just about NHL ready, I'd be more ok with trading Clowe. If this win streak continues, it'll be harder to trade Clowe for something that serves as no help right now (though I'd get it and didn't care about the specifics of the return prior to these last couple wins).

With the way the Sharks have been playing, they can match up against any team in the West for 7 games and come out on top. They may not be the favorites, but with a top 3 PK, good to great goalie play and a PP that can catch fire, they certainly have what it could take. Make it through and catch a Pens team limping in and anything could happen.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If the sharks can get a prospect that is close or just about NHL ready, I'd be more ok with trading Clowe. If this win streak continues, it'll be harder to trade Clowe for something that serves as no help right now (though I'd get it and didn't care about the specifics of the return prior to these last couple wins).

With the way the Sharks have been playing, they can match up against any team in the West for 7 games and come out on top. They may not be the favorites, but with a top 3 PK, good to great goalie play and a PP that can catch fire, they certainly have what it could take. Make it through and catch a Pens team limping in and anything could happen.

Pens are scary, but Fleury is still their weak link, and their defense is exploitable. Crosby/Malkin/Iginla is scary, but its funny how sometimes the best imaginable player on paper doesn't always work out (Heatley...) so we will have to wait and see what happens there.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Pens are scary, but Fleury is still their weak link, and their defense is exploitable. Crosby/Malkin/Iginla is scary, but its funny how sometimes the best imaginable player on paper doesn't always work out (Heatley...) so we will have to wait and see what happens there.

I see your point, but if Crosby can do what he is doing with Chris Kunitz on his wing, imagine what he could do with even an aged Iginla?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Keep in mind, that it has only been 3 games. That is it.

I think that since the middle of last year, SJ has dropped out of that elite group of 3-5 teams that are just a step above everyone else. Moreover, I cannot see Ryane Clowe having a future in San Jose.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Keep in mind, that it has only been 3 games. That is it.

I think that since the middle of last year, SJ has dropped out of that elite group of 3-5 teams that are just a step above everyone else. Moreover, I cannot see Ryane Clowe having a future in San Jose.

I very much understand that. This team looks like a completely different team since trading Murray. I'm not saying that is the only reason as Burns has infused some energy in the forward group and pushed people down the depth chart to create depth that was not there before. Moving Pavs back to 3C is also part of this equation.

If these things can remain consistent and not just be a little stretch, the Sharks have the components in place to make a run in the West. I'm not saying they are the favorites or even elite. However, when I match them up against any team in the West, there is not a matchup (a la last season and some prior) where you look at it and immediate write the Sharks off. Obviously contingent on their ability to keep this play going, the Sharks could do some damage in the West because they have some of the important pieces to do so. Even moreso, they could peak at the right time and not be the same team the standings dictate because of that god awful stretch.

There are a lot of ifs. They could even start losing again and miss the playoffs. All I am saying is if they are able to make it and can come close to resembling the play of the last 3 games, I'll certainly be watching with excitement to see what they can do. It won't be like past seasons where I expected certain things and was let down tremendously. This season is very much so, let's see what happens.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I hope the Pens show interest in Clowe, forcing other teams to overpay to keep him away from Pittsburgh.

That would be freaking hilarious.

Chiareli: "Alright Doug, I'll give you Koko and a 4th, but that's as good as it's going to get"

Wilson: "Thanks, but Shero is offering me Pouliot + Kennedy and a 3rd"

Chiareli: "SHERO?!?! ARRRHGGG WAAARRGAAARRBBLLLLLLLLEEE"

Wilson "Are you ok?"

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Historically has DW ever had to deal with a Clowe like situation. If yes, how has he normally dealt with them.

I am curious if he is more likely to sign him or trade him irrespective of our playoff push.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I very much understand that. This team looks like a completely different team since trading Murray. I'm not saying that is the only reason as Burns has infused some energy in the forward group and pushed people down the depth chart to create depth that was not there before. Moving Pavs back to 3C is also part of this equation.

If these things can remain consistent and not just be a little stretch, the Sharks have the components in place to make a run in the West. I'm not saying they are the favorites or even elite. However, when I match them up against any team in the West, there is not a matchup (a la last season and some prior) where you look at it and immediate write the Sharks off. Obviously contingent on their ability to keep this play going, the Sharks could do some damage in the West because they have some of the important pieces to do so. Even moreso, they could peak at the right time and not be the same team the standings dictate because of that god awful stretch.

There are a lot of ifs. They could even start losing again and miss the playoffs. All I am saying is if they are able to make it and can come close to resembling the play of the last 3 games, I'll certainly be watching with excitement to see what they can do. It won't be like past seasons where I expected certain things and was let down tremendously. This season is very much so, let's see what happens.

I see the improvement of late being more about not icing Handzus and Burish than anything. Murray being out and even Clowe for a bit helped too for sure.

Handzus is just really really bad ..and as I have said before, one player can absolutely drag a team down and make the difference. He is too slow.

justinboo*

i think its a mistake trading clowe before the playoff run. you never know how far they could make it. everyones going to be underestimating us.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The article then goes on to say absolutely nothing of the sort, just that Vancouver is one interested team. It's just sensationalism.

Well, I got excited for a second. Couldn't load the website....the URL seemed legit...

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
If we keep playing like how we are now, I think we just hang onto Clowe for the playoffs. Unless we're offered something REALLY good for him.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Well, I got excited for a second. Couldn't load the website....the URL seemed legit...

Excited? Why would you be excited about him going to Vancouver? Their prospects and futures is as bleak as ours so we wouldn't get anybody good and I'd rather trade Clowe to the East.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Excited? Why would you be excited about him going to Vancouver? Their prospects and futures is as bleak as ours so we wouldn't get anybody good and I'd rather trade Clowe to the East.

Niklas Jensen is a guy I'm really high on. Doubt he'd be moved for a rental, but he's the guy I think DW'd be after. And of course, I'd welcome Zack Kassian here. He's basically a Clowe-clone who can skate better, with less offensive upside.

I'd have no problem trading Clowe to Vancouver if their offer is best.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Vancouver might be one of the few teams Clowe would block a trade to considering the animosity between the two teams.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Vancouver might be one of the few teams Clowe would block a trade to considering the animosity between the two teams.

Has anyone in the history of the NHL with an NTC or NMC ever blocked a trade because the trade would send the person to a hated rival?

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Has anyone in the history of the NHL with an NTC or NMC ever blocked a trade because the trade would send the person to a hated rival?

If it's happened we likely wouldn't know about it. Most of those situations are not publicized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad