Value of: Draisaitl´s next contract

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
GM's do occasionally use them...just rarely.

Rarely b/c an offer sheet is like a check move in chess...it's a challenge to the opposing GM's cap management so: 1. it won't be well received; 2. the opposing GM or one of his buddies may seek some payback later so you will need to have all of your own pieces covered. The offering GM also may be looking for a new job in a few years and, if he's made a few folks mad, that new job may be hard to find (in the NHL world of recycled GM's and recycled coaches). It's part old boys club, part chess and part anti-trust.

But tanking and having 8 top10 picks, 4 of which are 1st overall, in consecutive drafts should be well received? I feel this needs to be curbed and it's in the GMs hands. If GMs start offer sheeting these young stars, the dynamics of how this sport deals with young talent will be tipped on it's head.

I understand all the ramifications of this, but GMs can sign players sooner then July if they are worried.

1st: Draisaitl has to sign it
2nd: Draisaitl loves it in edmonton and is really close with McDavid and co. Saying that, I am positive he will get a fair deal from Chia, not sign an offersheet and be apart of something special here in Edmonton.

Sorry to say, I don't care about your insecurities. Maybe you are right, he loves it in Edmonton, he... but if offered 9.4M at the age of 21 for 5 years... I think it would be very difficult to walk away.

I'm not debating Draisaitl in particular, and I understand the ridiculousness of this statement in a Draisaitl discussion... I just want to know if other fans around the league think the NHL has a problem with teams finding ways to being a Stanley Cup Champion by sucking for a decade or more. This is by no means an exact science, but why should the 29/30 teams let them get away with it?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
2nd: Draisaitl loves it in edmonton and is really close with McDavid and co. Saying that, I am positive he will get a fair deal from Chia, not sign an offersheet and be apart of something special here in Edmonton.

Then Chia has a chance to match. If offered something like 9 x 5 (especially backloaded to make the QO higher) 8x8 looks shabby when the 3rd contract is higher under the OS.
You act like Draisaitl appreciated being sent down after about 39 games year 1.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Sorry to say, I don't care about your insecurities. Maybe you are right, he loves it in Edmonton, he... but if offered 9.4M at the age of 21 for 5 years... I think it would be very difficult to walk away.

Better question - which teams have the cap space to offer $9.4M per year for five seasons?

Which teams would be more competitive with Draisaitl at $9.4M for five, and why?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Then Chia has a chance to match. If offered something like 9 x 5 (especially backloaded to make the QO higher) 8x8 looks shabby when the 3rd contract is higher under the OS.
You act like Draisaitl appreciated being sent down after about 39 games year 1.

Yea I think he did appreciate being sent down.

He wasnt NHL ready and got to win WHL playoff MVP as well as Memorial cup MVP.

Also, why would he hold a grudge for being sent down under previous management? Almost 3 years ago lol

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yea I think he did appreciate being sent down.

He wasnt NHL ready and got to win WHL playoff MVP as well as Memorial cup MVP.

Also, why would he hold a grudge for being sent down under previous management? Almost 3 years ago lol

Because then it's more likely he'll leave the hated Oilers, and/or join my favourite team!

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Ovechkin is still the 4th highest paid player in the NHL. He signed that contract 9 years ago. Top players get a little more than 9 years ago, but only because the cap went up.. which it's no longer doing (much).

His contract is an outlier. Drai isnt generational

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Signing Draisaitl for 5 yrs at 9.4M would give him the second highest AAV contract for a player coming off an ELC in the salary cap era. Only behind Ovi, who it should be noted won a Rocket, Hart, Lester B Pearson and a Calder during his ELC.

So yeah, you may not be popular with your fellow GM's after you reset the RFA market in such a way that one season where you finish in the top 10 in NHL points allows you to ask for +9M per year in arbitration. You might not have any friends in the GM fraternity after that. Might be difficult to get another job after screwing every other team in the NHL over too.

Last edited:

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Signing Draisaitl for 5 yrs at 9.4M would give him the second highest AAV contract for a player coming off an ELC in the salary cap era. Only behind Ovi, who it should be noted won a Rocket, Hart, Lester B Pearson and a Calder during his ELC.

So yeah, you may not be popular with your fellow GM's after you reset the RFA market in such a way that one season where you finish in the top 10 in NHL points allows you to ask for +9M per year in arbitration. You might not have any friends in the GM fraternity after that. Might be difficult to get another job after screwing every other team in the NHL over too.

Being a GM in the NHL isn't a country club membership and last time I checked there are 30 other GMs trying to do a better job than everybody else. But you know what would make you unpopular? Playing hardball with one of your star players and having an extended hold out. You **** off the fans and you **** off the locker room.

EDIT: lol **** is censored

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Although he is having a monster season, do we really feel like hell get more than Tarasernko at 7.5? It was earlier reported he would be around 6.5 Like Mackinnon, Schieffle, Johhny G, Monahan, and Forsberg who are all comparable taking a average of 3 seasons.

I think due to his previous seasons he'll end up under 7, hoping closer to 6.5

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Being a GM in the NHL isn't a country club membership and last time I checked there are 30 other GMs trying to do a better job than everybody else. But you know what would make you unpopular? Playing hardball with one of your star players and having an extended hold out. You **** off the fans and you **** off the locker room.

EDIT: lol **** is censored

Well, if Leon holds out for more money, then your line about playing hardball will make sense. I do not expect this to turn into a PK Subban-like situation where the team forces an insulting bridge contract on Leon.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Although he is having a monster season, do we really feel like hell get more than Tarasernko at 7.5? It was earlier reported he would be around 6.5 Like Mackinnon, Schieffle, Johhny G, Monahan, and Forsberg who are all comparable taking a average of 3 seasons.

I think due to his previous seasons he'll end up under 7, hoping closer to 6.5

He shouldn't get more than Tank. Does he have 4 or 5 years of RFA remaining?

I think 6.5 million AAV sounds about right.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He shouldn't get more than Tank. Does he have 4 or 5 years of RFA remaining?

I think 6.5 million AAV sounds about right.

I think most Oiler fans would be happy with anywhere between 6 and 7 to be honest. Below that isn't realistic, and above that is an overpayment. The term is what interests me though - will he be willing to accept an 8 year deal? Will the Oilers only want to sign him to a 4 year deal so they can sign him to 8 at that time? Interesting indeed.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I think most Oiler fans would be happy with anywhere between 6 and 7 to be honest. Below that isn't realistic, and above that is an overpayment. The term is what interests me though - will he be willing to accept an 8 year deal? Will the Oilers only want to sign him to a 4 year deal so they can sign him to 8 at that time? Interesting indeed.

Agreed on the AAV---6-7 million seems like the right range. I would probably want 6 years minimum...kind of scary to only be buying RFA years on a player as good as Drai.

For many reasons, I don't see offer sheets being a huge threat with Drai....think he and the Oilers will come to terms pretty quickly.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's not signing for less than 7. Y'all are fooling yourselves if you think otherwise.

Probably asks for 8 for 8 and will get close to that

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Cant possibly be less than 6. Dont see it being more than 7.

6.85M would be my guess.

Draisaitl burned a year of his ELC 2 yrs ago before he was sent down to WHL but it didnt effect his RFA years. He still has 5 more years before he becomes a UFA. You just dont make 7M+ unless you are burning a big number of your UFA years.

MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Monahan, Scheifele contracts say that Drai gets 6.75-6.9 his next contract.

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
He's not signing for less than 7. Y'all are fooling yourselves if you think otherwise.

Probably asks for 8 for 8 and will get close to that

He has 4-5 seasons of RFA remaining and no arbitration rights. Not that they need it, but the Oilers have a lot of leverage. They should be able to get him under $7 million AAV on a 6-8 year deal.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Oiler fans of all people should know about "Player X loves in here and he actually has to sign it"

Thomas Vanek loved it in Buffalo and yet signed a massive offer sheet back in 2007. I'd be getting worried too about Draisaitl signing an offer sheet no matter what he says. Players want to get paid. Draisaitl has to know that there are going to be some possible big money offer sheets offered.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Cant possibly be less than 6. Dont see it being more than 7.

6.85M would be my guess.

Draisaitl burned a year of his ELC 2 yrs ago before he was sent down to WHL but it didnt effect his RFA years. He still has 5 more years before he becomes a UFA. You just dont make 7M+ unless you are burning a big number of your UFA years.

MacKinnon, Gaudreau, Monahan, Scheifele contracts say that Drai gets 6.75-6.9 his next contract.

I can see it below $6 if for some strange reason Draisatl and Edmonton decide to bridge as opposed buying UFA years. Just like i think it might go as high as $7.5 if they go 7/8yrs.

but I don't think the value can be pegged yet...there is a very large part of the season that is not settled yet, the longer the oilers playoff run lasts and if Draisatl starts to consistently take over more games like he did in game 6 the number starts to climb... best and worst case for the Oilers is that they win the cup but Draisatl wins Conn Smythe...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad