Value of: Draisaitl´s next contract

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
It literally makes $0.00 net difference to the NHLPA how much Connor McDavid makes. Every single extra dollar McDavid takes comes directly out of NHLPA members pockets in escrow. NHL contracts negotiations are a zero sum game from collective players perspective. It doesn't even matter if the Oilers spend the discount.

Ok, forget the National Hockey League's Players Association and its obvious lack of influence on National Hockey League's Players.

Connor McDavid, a human being and ultra-competitive athlete would gladly take a sweetheart deal that leaves him as the 10th, 20th or 30th highest paid player in the league within two or three years, after he's probably won a couple of Ross awards, a Hart thrown in and is the face of the NHL.

If he falls short of 10 per, regardless of his RFA or UFA status it will be a miracle.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Habs need to swing for the fences and offer sheet this kid. As unlikely as it may be, there simply are so few other viable options out there.... No big young'ish names on the FA market this summer. Who could we trade for? Duchene? maybe, but at what cost?

Habs are all in, right now, lets go!

7.3mil x 7 years

Aren't Bergevin and Chia buds? Berg could give a courtesy call, out of respect, before pulling the trigger. I don't know... Just try it.

2ewi1jc.jpg

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Habs need to swing for the fences and offer sheet this kid. As unlikely as it may be, there simply are so few other viable options out there.... No big young'ish names on the FA market this summer. Who could we trade for? Duchene? maybe, but at what cost?

7.3mil x 7 years

Aren't Bergevin and Chia buds? Berg could give a courtesy call, out of respect, before pulling the trigger. I don't know... Just try it.

2ewi1jc.jpg

They're no friends in business. Chiarelly wants whats best for his team and will never let Bergevin sign away his 2nd best player.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

7.3mil x 7 years

2ewi1jc.jpg

At the numbers you suggested the contract would be calculated over 5 years so 51.5M divided by 5 is 10.22M so you'd be giving up 4 first round draft picks. And at 7.3M the Oilers would still match.

Basically to offer sheet Draisaitl you are going over 8M for 7 years and it's costing you 4 first rounders and you still have to get him to agree to sign the deal. The chances of all the happening are next to zero.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

7.3mil x 7 years

2ewi1jc.jpg

Draisaitl wouldn't sign a offer sheet. Havs would have to offer 9 + million a year

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

7.3mil x 7 years

2ewi1jc.jpg

lol. I thought you said habs should swing for the fences. 7.3mil is a pretty weak swing. it wouldn't even get to the oilers as Drai wouldn't sign an offer sheet with such a small number.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
lol. I thought you said habs should swing for the fences. 7.3mil is a pretty weak swing. it wouldn't even get to the oilers as Drai wouldn't sign an offer sheet with such a small number.

LOL i don;t know..if Draisatl wanted to get his contract signed before the McDavid extension..he might sign it just so its done cause the oilers match it. Why negotiate if the offer is in the ballpark...LOL...
they could even be mean about it and freeze the Habs 4 first round picks up for a week to prevent any other offersheets for a week before matching.

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
Draisaitl wouldn't sign a offer sheet. Havs would have to offer 9 + million a year

Its not completely out of the question. Its the discussion i'm choosing to have.

They already have 3 forwards making 6mil per and with McDavid coming soon @ 10+, can they really afford it, while staying competitive elsewhere?

Lets say they offer made, Drai signs & Chia matches. EDM only has 3 healthy D starters to start the year + needing to re-sign/sign at least 3 more forwards and knowing McDavid needs a contract as well. Chia would have to immediately get rid of either Eberle or Nuge or both, which isn't a guarantee. Vegas ain't taking Poo either.

All i'm saying is that there's a chance and Habs should give it a shot.

24pju3q.jpg

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Its not completely out of the question. Its the discussion i'm choosing to have.

They already have 3 forwards making 6mil per and with McDavid coming soon @ 10+, can they really afford it, while staying competitive elsewhere?

Lets say they offer made, Drai signs & Chia matches. EDM only has 3 healthy D starters to start the year + needing to re-sign/sign at least 3 more forwards and knowing McDavid needs a contract as well. Chia would have to immediately get rid of either Eberle or Nuge or both, which isn't a guarantee. Vegas ain't taking Poo either.

All i'm saying is that there's a chance and Habs should give it a shot.

24pju3q.jpg

There's really not a chance though unless they offer him something crazy like 9M+, and thats assuming he even makes it to RFA to listen to an offer (if he's even willing to listen, for all we know he's dead set on staying in Edmonton with McDavid. Sure sounds that way.). Draisaitl will be an Oiler next year unless somebody offers up some kind of insane trade offer for him that Edmonton can't say no to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad