Draft Position Thread #2 (We pick 18th.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I'm hopeful Kyle Connor is available in the 18 slot. Terrific skill, great skater, and he'll be attending Michigan (NCAA) so the team can be patient in his development.

Plus, he's a ginger. You can never have enough fiesty gingers on a hockey team.

Likely gone, but looks like a gamer.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
In retrosprect though, Englund hasn't made them look like geniuses yet for going so far off the board to grab him. Thought I've read that he's been a struggling a fair bit over in the SHL?

I'm just thankful that they didn't get that 1st round pick and take him with it, for their own sake.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
In retrosprect though, Englund hasn't made them look like geniuses yet for going so far off the board to grab him. Thought I've read that he's been a struggling a fair bit over in the SHL?

I'm just thankful that they didn't get that 1st round pick and take him with it, for their own sake.

They drafted him because of his character

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's still far, far too early to pass judgement on picking Englund

Granted he didn't have a great year but that happens. I'd wait three years before deciding on if it was the right move or not, sometimes player break out before that and that's great but I don't expect it, I hope for it.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They drafted him because of his character

While you can't undervalue how important it is to have good character, going that far off the board for a guy who is simply lacking in almost every area aside from character, is not the brightest move imo.

Who knows maybe he can make a career in the NHL someday, but that looks less likely now than it did on draft day, and I'm not sure that his positive attitude will be enough to get him there.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
19 year old defensive defensemen are not known to typically tear up the SEL. Way too early to write him off. I think he will surprise people in the next few years.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
They didnt draft him solely because character. They drafted him because Murray and Melnyk had been making a point of looking for a Volchenkov type defensemen.

Melnyk even went so far to say volchenkov by his name was the type of player this team needed to be good.

Looking at some scouting reports who name comes up as a comparison for Englund? Volchenkov. I dont think he had a bad SHL season for his age. I dont think theres many teenage defensemen in the SHL. He still has to improve and was a bit of an off the board pick but he still could be good.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
That would be Ivan Provorov I think. Top 10 this year. Love to land him. Columbus written all over him I think with Reilly not signing.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
If the sens were able to make an NHL defensemen out of Boro they probably can make englund into an NHL dman

I want to believe that lol

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While you can't undervalue how important it is to have good character, going that far off the board for a guy who is simply lacking in almost every area aside from character, is not the brightest move imo.

Who knows maybe he can make a career in the NHL someday, but that looks less likely now than it did on draft day, and I'm not sure that his positive attitude will be enough to get him there.

Wow, and I got crapped on for not having him in my top 20 prospect list. :shakehead

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't read into Englund's lack of production in the SEL. The guy was drafted as a Volchenkov clone and defensive defencemen always take longer to develop. I'd expect that he won't even sniff the Sens roster for another 3 years, so the kid will have time to grow.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Beauvillier and Svechnikov are on my wish list

Then sign a UFA D to move Weir outta top 4 and let the kids grow together!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Wow, and I got crapped on for not having him in my top 20 prospect list. :shakehead

Not sure how he didn't make your top 20, he would on mine...

I'm just not sold on him as a 2nd round pick (or potentially a 1st if they had one :shakehead: )

I like the idea of what he could be, which is basically another borocop from what I've heard, I'm just not sold on the likelihood that he gets there.

If the team is going for these off the board/hail Mary type picks, I'd prefer to see them use our high picks on more offensive guys, and save picks like Englund for the later rounds.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1819069

this guy did some AMAZING write ups on his top 120. very detailed and well structured. pretty great resource that the poster provided :handclap:

Holy carp those are some detailed write ups...

Holy_carp.jpg

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wouldn't be the least bit mad if we took Juulsen 18th. I am pretty confident saying he will be a riser next year. If anyone gets him past 25, they have a big steal.

If we don't, I would try my hardest to move up to get him.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I feel like it's going to be a very strange draft this year.

So much of the talent expected to go 15-45 is interchangeable.

I'd really like to see the team end up with 4 picks in the top 45, if at all possible. (return from one of our goalies, plus moving up from 48th)

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Not sure how he didn't make your top 20, he would on mine...

I'm just not sold on him as a 2nd round pick (or potentially a 1st if they had one :shakehead: )

I like the idea of what he could be, which is basically another borocop from what I've heard, I'm just not sold on the likelihood that he gets there.

If the team is going for these off the board/hail Mary type picks, I'd prefer to see them use our high picks on more offensive guys, and save picks like Englund for the later rounds.

You seem to just be extrapolating from your own personal paranoia. By all accounts Englund is an extremely safe pick... and to cap his upside as Boro is just :shakehead

edit: thought this was the prospect thread. sorry for carrying on.

Who are some late round steals we can target? Any ideas?

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
It's still far, far too early to pass judgement on picking Englund

Granted he didn't have a great year but that happens. I'd wait three years before deciding on if it was the right move or not, sometimes player break out before that and that's great but I don't expect it, I hope for it.

Especially when you look back at the 2nd round and see who was picked after Englund. The only person I would take over him is Christian Dvorak. A couple guys like Montour, Hickey, Collins, and Kamenev seem to be on the rise but I wouldn't take them over Englund right now.

It's too bad we couldn't get Lemieux.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Especially when you look back at the 2nd round and see who was picked after Englund. The only person I would take over him is Christian Dvorak. A couple guys like Montour, Hickey, Collins, and Kamenev seem to be on the rise but I wouldn't take them over Englund right now.

It's too bad we couldn't get Lemieux.

seems like Lemieux has a bit of an attitude problem, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad