Draft Position Thread #2 (We pick 18th.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlsson2Turris*

on the bright side our dallas pick is improving

I honestly think we could've gotten more for Spezza at this deadline than we did at the draft :laugh:

These prices are crazy. If Vermette can get a 1st+prospect, imagine what we could've gotten for a legit #1C :cry:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol again with the Spezza talk.

I'd give you my left nut if Ottawa would be capable of playing the type of hockey they've been playing last 5 games, especially vs Cali teams, with Spezza leading the charge.

Nope.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But....is he a legit 1C now? Seems like he went to Dallas because he didn't want to be top dog anymore.

Anyways, under no circumstances to we trade that first round pick until after the lottery. (Although, it would be fun to see a lotto team trade away the pick that turns into McDavid. That would be a pink slip for that GM for sure.)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
But....is he a legit 1C now? Seems like he went to Dallas because he didn't want to be top dog anymore.
What?

He went there knowing he could get top dollar. Championship caliber teams do have the cap room to add a 7.5 million dollar player. Dallas did. He didn't want to go to the land of misfit toys(Nashville) though it looks like a bad choice now.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Id rather use our two seconds, moving up a few spots for two really good piks is just dumb in my opinion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Id rather use our two seconds, moving up a few spots for two really good piks is just dumb in my opinion.
Agreed, they will get at least three decent players in the first & 2nd rds in a deep draft. They got Hoffman & Stone in the 6th surely they can draft some decent players in earlier rds.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Depends.

Do you have a guy that will be taken in the next couple of picks whom you are high on?

Do you have guys who will last until your picks ranked much higher than others?

You could trade up for Tyler Biggs (for Rickard Rakell and John Gibson)

You could trade up for Zach Parise (MA Pouliot and JF Jaques)

There is clearly a need to trade up if you think you have a guy you like.

I'd be pretty angry if we decided to use our picks rater than get a guy like Parise.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Depends.

Do you have a guy that will be taken in the next couple of picks whom you are high on?

I'd be pretty angry if we decided to use our picks rater than get a guy like Parise.

Karlsson for Chet Pickard and Taylor Beck.

If they know they want a player I don't mind taking that risk at all.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Depends.

This is the right answer. This business about it being a "deep draft" is getting carried away. Being a deep draft doesn't mean it extends to the top 60 players, it means that the top 5-10 or so are better quality than normal.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is the right answer. This business about it being a "deep draft" is getting carried away. Being a deep draft doesn't mean it extends to the top 60 players, it means that the top 5-10 or so are better quality than normal.
No, I think it does & have heard so on more than one occasion. For sure the top 3 to 5 will be exceptional players no question but I remember the talking heads saying that you can get a guy well into the 2nd rd or even the 3rd that in other drafts would be in the late first or early second round.

They used Bittner as an example of a guy ranked to go anywhere from 15th to 40th who in another draft yr might get into the top 10. They mentioned a couple of pretty good goalies who will likely go in the 3rd rd in this draft who would move up at least a round in another draft. They also said there will be some good players in the late 2nd & 3rd rds who will end up in the NHl there always is but specifically in this draft because there will be so many good hockey players.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson for Chet Pickard and Taylor Beck.

We don't give Nashville enough thanks for that trade.

Anaheim was DEFINITELY gonna pick Karlsson and if we didn't make that trade we would be nothing right now.

Thank you Nashville... Thank you Anders Forsberg, from the deep wells of our hearts.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
What?

He went there knowing he could get top dollar. Championship caliber teams do have the cap room to add a 7.5 million dollar player. Dallas did. He didn't want to go to the land of misfit toys(Nashville) though it looks like a bad choice now.

Yeah there's still the myth floating around that he went to Dallas so he would have avoid the burden of being 1C (he's been a 1C since he was probably 9). But seguin is injured. It's not like spezza is refusing to play in that spot hahaha. He is their 1C. Carries a lot of responsibility. I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Agreed, they will get at least three decent players in the first & 2nd rds in a deep draft. They got Hoffman & Stone in the 6th surely they can draft some decent players in earlier rds.

I would trade up. Our team is so packed right now. I would rather get 1 first liner out of this whole draft. Than three 2-3 liners.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I would trade up. Our team is so packed right now. I would rather get 1 first liner out of this whole draft. Than three 2-3 liners.

Trade up to where though?

If we are picking 9th or thereabouts, the price to move up even just a few spots will cost us a 2nd, and all for a player our team might have gotten at 9th anyway?

If our scouts are screaming about a guy top 5 who they think is miles ahead of the next guy on their list, then by all means, burn the two 2nd rounders to make it happen, but the rankings are all over the place after the top 2 guys, so I suspect we'll get a guy top 5 on our team's list, even if we're picking 10th. And I doubt our scouts will see a massive drop in the 3-12 tier of players anyway - most scouts certainly don't.

Combine all of that with the fact our prospect pool is now below average (not counting our NHLers) and we actually really do need to load up with some organizational depth. Things will be ugly in two years if we don't.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Trade up to where though?

If we are picking 9th or thereabouts, the price to move up even just a few spots will cost us a 2nd, and all for a player our team might have gotten at 9th anyway?

If our scouts are screaming about a guy top 5 who they think is miles ahead of the next guy on their list, then by all means, burn the two 2nd rounders to make it happen, but the rankings are all over the place after the top 2 guys, so I suspect we'll get a guy top 5 on our team's list, even if we're picking 10th. And I doubt our scouts will see a massive drop in the 3-12 tier of players anyway - most scouts certainly don't.

Combine all of that with the fact our prospect pool is now below average (not counting our NHLers) and we actually really do need to load up with some organizational depth. Things will be ugly in two years if we don't.

Meant the 2 seconds to move up back into the 1st.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Having two seconds is great, if there is a player Murray loves late in the first its possible to trade up for him like they did for puemple

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I think I'd rather trade down and try to nail a high skill guy that falls a bit. Go for quantity and hope you hit big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad