Draft Position Thread #2 (We pick 18th.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Did you miss the season? Hoffman did break out, he led the team in goals...

Oh I loved him this season and I am enormous Hoffman fan but I still believe he needs to elevate his game to another level if we want to contend with current LW group we have now. Thinking 30+ goal type production around 60ish points and higher.

We have so many LW players with top 6 upside.

I agree with what you say but i dont think anyone we can draft at LW screams im going to be better then what you have

Yea, we do have many with top 6 upside and 2 legit ones now but without a bonafide elite center, we need elite production from our winger groups. Stone and Ryan seem excellent on right side and we need more from Hoffman and MacArthur on the left even if Hoffman had an excellent season as a rookie last year.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The more I read about him the more I think Vince Dunn could be a great pick at 18. Sounds a lot like Karlsson in his draft year actually.

Elite Skater
Slightly undersized at 6'0, 187lbs
High level of skill with the puck
Awesome puck mover
Ability to score goals from the blueline

He's also a major draft riser and finished off the year with 17 goals and 41 points in his last 32 games. With the kind of upside he has its hard to understand why he's not being considered for a mid-1st selection. Could be a guy the Sens organization is seriously considering taking this year.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
The more I read about him the more I think Vince Dunn could be a great pick at 18. Sounds a lot like Karlsson in his draft year actually.

Elite Skater
Awesome puck mover

He's also a major draft riser and finished off the year with 17 goals and 41 points in his last 32 games. With the kind of upside he has its hard to understand why he's not being considered for a mid-1st selection. Could be a guy the Sens organization is seriously considering taking this year.

but we already have a vince dunn in the system.
same reason we couldnt draft erik karlsson, the forward.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Elite Skater
Awesome puck mover

Love Dunn, but there's no way we take him at 18, that would just be poor asset management.

In all likliness we can snag him with Dallas' 2nd, or use our second to move up in the draft to take him.

Most sites have him going mid second round.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Elite Skater
Awesome puck mover

An Erik Karlsson clone on LD.

Yeah, I could live with that. *swoons*

Love Dunn, but there's no way we take him at 18, that would just be poor asset management.

In all likliness we can snag him with Dallas' 2nd, or use our second to move up in the draft to take him.

Most sites have him going mid second round.

I have a funny feeling he might sneak into the end of the first. Seems to be a lot of undersized kids in the top 60 this year. They can't all slide. Plus, this kid is a late riser....usually those types continue to inch forward on draft day.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Elite Skater
Awesome puck mover

Why use our first on him when we can easily get him in the second

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Oh I loved him this season and I am enormous Hoffman fan but I still believe he needs to elevate his game to another level if we want to contend with current LW group we have now. Thinking 30+ goal type production around 60ish points and higher.

Yea, we do have many with top 6 upside and 2 legit ones now but without a bonafide elite center, we need elite production from our winger groups. Stone and Ryan seem excellent on right side and we need more from Hoffman and MacArthur on the left even if Hoffman had an excellent season as a rookie last year.

Hoffman, over the full year , if kept in the Top 9, would have produced 30+ goals and close to 60 points. That's the point - he got buried with the 4th line slugs who could not skate or keep up with him. And coach was trying to get MacArthur and Michalek going in the Top 6.

Michalek has another streaky, injury prone year (deal him); MacArthur had an off year compared to his first, and Ryan dried up at the end (conditioning??). Hoffman could very well be our 1LW in a short while, but should be Top 6 now. Prince, Puempel - their turn now. Condra is also in the background as one of our best PK players.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
His 4th line linemates for the majority of the time he was getting 4th line minutes were Stone and Lazar... hardly "slugs".

During that run he was with Legwand, Smith, Neil. I don't recall Stone being 4th line at all. MacArthur - Turris - Stone. Michalek was gifted Zibanejad and Ryan until coach had to reset him with Hoffman and it worked. Lazar was stapled to Pageau and Condra. That's what I was looking at anyway.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I trust our drafting people

Same. They havent really botched a pick yet. Even Cowen who looks like the closest thing to a botched pick was probably an easy choice.

Pretty happy with what theyve done in the first two rounds and we've managed to get some top 6 nhl players, bottom 6 NHL players and some other interesting prospects in the later rounds.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
His 4th line linemates for the majority of the time he was getting 4th line minutes were Stone and Lazar... hardly "slugs".

Around the Boston game we lost he was put on the forth liner for like 10/15 games.

Him and Bobby were both ice cold and the top line was having trouble producing anything. Puempel was moved there and Michalek was hot so he played on the forth line with Legwand and chiasson. Sometimes he would start the game on zibby's line and then play 90 percent of the game with legwand. Other times hed start on the bottom line and then play some shifts on the top line...but ya he played around ten games shifting back and forth and mostly playing on the 4th liner.

During this time though he was basically as cold as ryan.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Why use our first on him when we can easily get him in the second

The simple answer to that question would be because the team doesn't believe that Dunn will be around. There are already many suggesting he could go late 1st. Based on his play in the 2nd half of the season with 17 goals and 41 points in his last 32 games. That is some serious production. And our scouts have shown they aren't afraid to draft like that, taking Englund WAY ahead of where he was ranked last year. We did the same with Noesen in his draft year.

It is the kind of move that I could definitely see happening.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The simple answer to that question would be because the team doesn't believe that Dunn will be around. There are already many suggesting he could go late 1st. Based on his play in the 2nd half of the season with 17 goals and 41 points in his last 32 games. That is some serious production. And our scouts have shown they aren't afraid to draft like that, taking Englund WAY ahead of where he was ranked last year. We did the same with Noesen in his draft year.

It is the kind of move that I could definitely see happening.

More likely if they really liked him, they would trade back to take him. I haven't read a single option of Dunn being a 1st Rd Pick.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
More likely if they really liked him, they would trade back to take him. I haven't read a single option of Dunn being a 1st Rd Pick.

All it takes is 1 team to like a player. It happens literally every year and everybody acts all surprised for some reason.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
All it takes is 1 team to like a player. It happens literally every year and everybody acts all surprised for some reason.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm saying in all likliness he goes in the 2nd round, and if that's the case, using a 1ST Rd pick on him, is a wasted asset.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm saying in all likliness he goes in the 2nd round, and if that's the case, using a 1ST Rd pick on him, is a wasted asset.

That should something like what Don Brennan said about the Karlsson pick

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

I think he's gone before our 2nds kick in. He'd be a great addition if he was there.

I would like to see Senyshyn and maybe Spencer (he's nasty to play against) a consideration for our 2nds

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
That should something like what Don Brennan said about the Karlsson pick

Except that I didn't say Dunn was a garbage pick, or that he wouldn't be a good player, besides that yah it's exactly like something Brennan would say.

What I'm actually saying, is if the Sens like Dunn, they would be better of trading back to take him, because in all likliness, he's available in the 2nd Rd.

Ultimately it depends on how much they like someone, if they think he will be 10x better than anyone available between picks 19 and 42, then you wouldn't risk trading back.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Except that I didn't say Dunn was a garbage pick, or that he wouldn't be a good player, besides that yah it's exactly like something Brennan would say.

What I'm actually saying, is if the Sens like Dunn, they would be better of trading back to take him, because in all likliness, he's available in the 2nd Rd.

Ultimately it depends on how much they like someone, if they think he will be 10x better than anyone available between picks 19 and 42, then you wouldn't risk trading back.

That's not how the Sens work. They were fully ready to take Englund in the first. Dorian said if we got a pick from the Spezza trade, Englund was the guy they were taking. If you feel strongly about a player, the value of the pick doesn't matter. (Very glad personally that never happened)

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
That's not how the Sens work. They were fully ready to take Englund in the first. Dorian said if we got a pick from the Spezza trade, Englund was the guy they were taking. If you feel strongly about a player, the value of the pick doesn't matter. (Very glad personally that never happened)

Worked out incredibly well with those Puempel and Noesen picks.

Nonetheless, we're arguing about an incredibly hypothetical situation, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I'm hopeful Kyle Connor is available in the 18 slot. Terrific skill, great skater, and he'll be attending Michigan (NCAA) so the team can be patient in his development.

Plus, he's a ginger. You can never have enough fiesty gingers on a hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad