Draft Position Thread #2 (We pick 18th.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
seems like Lemieux has a bit of an attitude problem, no?

The rumor was he refused to sign with Buffalo. I doubt the Sens would've had that problem though considering he came to Ottawa last summer to interview/workout with management.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's great that there are so many guys I want with the 18th, that realistically will be there within reach.

Chabot, Chaplik, Juulsen, Harkins, Konecy, Merkley, White, Beauvillier, Boeser. All these guys would leave me extremely happy.

Obviously if there are guys like Rantanen, Werenski, etc still available, that's a home run.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
With almost the same amount of talent from 15-45 this will be the draft where we really see who the best scouts are (or the luckiest).

Definitely it's going to be very interesting to see how it unfolds. I'm glad we have the management team that we do heading into a draft as important as this one is.

We have 3 picks in the top 50. I expect us to walk away with 1 high quality NHLer, and hopefully 2 or 3 others that can play.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With almost the same amount of talent from 15-45 this will be the draft where we really see who the best scouts are (or the luckiest).

Bingo! Our history should give us a good potential in any case. I bet at least one of the top 3 picks is a surprise (they know something specific about a guy they target)

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Pierre Dorion on TSN 1200

"I think we’re going to get a real good player for the Ottawa Senators in the upcoming year. I’m not sure he’s going to play right away next year depending on who we get, but it’s someone that I know for sure is going to be a top two line guy or a top four defenceman.

Those are some really good projections right there. I'm now very excited for this draft.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

"I think we’re going to get a real good player for the Ottawa Senators in the upcoming year. I’m not sure he’s going to play right away next year depending on who we get, but it’s someone that I know for sure is going to be a top two line guy or a top four defenceman.â€

Those are some really good projections right there. I'm now very excited for this draft.

No goalie i guess lol..

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.

"I think we’re going to get a real good player for the Ottawa Senators in the upcoming year. I’m not sure he’s going to play right away next year depending on who we get, but it’s someone that I know for sure is going to be a top two line guy or a top four defenceman.â€

I'm more excited for the 2nd round, we have a pretty good history there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

So if that holds true, what does everyone think the best course of action would be? Keep our picks where they are, or try to package those two 2nds for a first round pick?

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
So if that holds true, what does everyone think the best course of action would be? Keep our picks where they are, or try to package those two 2nds for a first round pick?

Depends who is available sliding down in the first... some decent defensemen projected to go anywhere from 25-35 that I would have no issue with selecting in that range (Jacob Larsson, Noah Juulsen, Vince Dunn). Trading one of our goaltenders might be able to net a pick in that range from a team needing a goalie (see the usual suspects- Buffalo and Edmonton).

Dealing one of them within our own division could potentially back-fire on us, so if Murray does call up his nephew I hope he holds out for the 21st pick. That might make it worth the risk of dealing one of our goaltenders within our own division.

If we come out with four picks in the top 48 (18, 21, 42 and 48), that would be a pretty damn good haul in my opinion.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON

I would trade back a few spots for another 2nd, there will be some great players available in the 2nd round IMO.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Konecny is similar to johnson

But if Tampa wins the cup he might be gone cause this is a copy cat league

BigBush*

Konecny is similar to johnson

But if Tampa wins the cup he might be gone cause this is a copy cat league

Konecny looked extremely impressive in the CHL prospects game. I know that was only one game, but I think it removed a lot of doubt from some scouts. If he's available at 18 (doubt it) ill be very happy if the Sens took him.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd LOVE Konecny. One of those guys who everyone knows has the skill and IQ to be an excellent player in NHL but for some reason have doubts about him and he gets passed down in a draft but becomes a steal in a year or two.

BTW, I fully expect Ottawa to draft a top line player or top pairing defender with this pick knowing their draft history and success, especially in deep drafts. I keep saying this fact over non-stop, lol because anything less imo is a disappointment. We need one more elite prospect to help our contending years as legit.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I agree.

Konecny is my guy if we stay pat at 18 and he's available. Just makes too much sense.

Hope we can nab him!

BigBush*

Wasn't Konecny very highly touted last year or 2 years ago as a top 5 pick?

Ya, highly touted after being drafted 1st overall in the OHL draft. He's kinda dropped because of injuries and got off to a slow start this year.

I wonder if management would trade their 2nd and 1st to move up to grab this guy.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wasn't Konecny very highly touted last year or 2 years ago as a top 5 pick?

Yup. Injuries and not growing combined with under performance in his draft year have hurt him

Kylington was also a formerly top rated pick that fell off. Number 1 European skater and now number 6

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Yup. Injuries and not growing combined with under performance in his draft year have hurt him

Kylington was also a formerly top rated pick that fell off. Number 1 European skater and now number 6

I wonder if they would consider trading down for him while securing a fourth pick in the top 48. I also wonder if some team might just take him around 15-20 anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad