Draft party

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I've heard a lot of rumblings in Islander-dom. Seems like these rumblings are implying a massive change in mgmt. GM/Coach being changed wouldnt be out of the question.

I would hope these changes would be done before the draft, and before JT signs with another team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Of course you may be right, but then why would Malkin keep snow if he can't trust him to do his job?
Why do you think it’s a matter of trust? There are certain negotiations that go above the GM in all sports. Bruce McNall drove the Wayne Gretzky to LA trade. Alex Rodriguez was brought to the Yankees by George Steinbrenner, not Brian Cashman. In the NBA star players have dealt directly with team owners for decades.

The Islanders will give John Tavares the richest contract they ever gave to a player. It makes sense that this negotiation would be handled by the owner personally.

Reactions: PK Cronin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Why do you think it’s a matter of trust? There are certain negotiations that go above the GM in all sports. Bruce McNall drove the Wayne Gretzky to LA trade. Alex Rodriguez was brought to the Yankees by George Steinbrenner, not Brian Cashman. In the NBA star players have dealt directly with team owners for decades.

The Islanders will give John Tavares the richest contract they ever gave to a player. It makes sense that this negotiation would be handled by the owner personally.

I'd agree with that except for one thing...

It was reported that Malkin was also the one dealing with Sorokin's agent. I mean if your GM can't handle the negotiations involving a 22 year old goalie prospect who is more likely to never play in North America, then I don't know what to tell you.

So "trust" or whatever, Malkin is overstepping into the GM role on multiple levels so again...Why keep snow around?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It was reported that Malkin was also the one dealing with Sorokin's agent. I mean if your GM can't handle the negotiations involving a 22 year old goalie prospect who is more likely to never play in North America, then I don't know what to tell you.

So "trust" or whatever, Malkin is overstepping into the GM role on multiple levels so again...Why keep snow around?

Say buying out his contract will cost the team $100 million as opposed to just paying him $5 million per year for the remainder of his current contract, which is around 3 or 4 years. It makes sense to just leave him in place and do everything you can around him, and strip his powers. Maybe Snow is actually good at some aspects of the job but not others, so Malkin is controlling some of them until they can re-organize everything. There are a bunch of different answers.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Where has the owner “overstepped into the GM role on multiple levels”? It hasn’t been pervaisve around here.

Look, I want Snow gone as much as anyone here. Maybe more because I actually go to the games. And I’m happy to look for things that Snow has botched over the years to bolster my argument, which there are plenty of. But I’m not going to nitpick over minutiae to craft a narrative to suit my argument. I don’t know whether Malkin and Ledecky spoke with Sorokin’s agent or not and I’m not willing to take the word of a suspect blog. Nor do I know Scott Malkin’s true feelings about his GM. If I’m going to make an argument calling for Garth Snow’s job I don’t need to grasp at supposition.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Say buying out his contract will cost the team $100 million as opposed to just paying him $5 million per year for the remainder of his current contract, which is around 3 or 4 years. It makes sense to just leave him in place and do everything you can around him, and strip his powers. Maybe Snow is actually good at some aspects of the job but not others, so Malkin is controlling some of them until they can re-organize everything. There are a bunch of different answers.

I hear you and understand, but two things:

1. When you are part of the investment group spending upwards of a BILLION dollars to get your own new arena/shopping center, then you do what you have to do financially to get the front office needed to win a Stanley Cup.
  2. We should already be sending wang hate mail daily, but if he gave snow a 10 million buyout much less 10 million then I encourage everyone to pillage wang's house for whatever they want.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Where has the owner “overstepped into the GM role on multiple levels”? It hasn’t been pervaisve around here.

Look, I want Snow gone as much as anyone here. Maybe more because I actually go to the games. And I’m happy to look for things that Snow has botched over the years to bolster my argument, which there are plenty of. But I’m not going to nitpick over minutiae to craft a narrative to suit my argument. I don’t know whether Malkin and Ledecky spoke with Sorokin’s agent or not and I’m not willing to take the word of a suspect blog. Nor do I know Scott Malkin’s true feelings about his GM. If I’m going to make an argument calling for Garth Snow’s job I don’t need to grasp at supposition.

These are all fair points. The problem with the Isles is that they're like the North Korea of the NHL. No information ever leaks out of the front office. The only way to find anything out is when a player "escapes" to an other country (team) and hopefully reveals something.

So yes we are all connecting dots based on 2nd hand information over here, but the bottom line is that any GM who presided over the last decade of work should be fired. To be no better off in the standings than when you took over 12 years ago should be the definition of a fireable offense, but here we are - With a the Japanese Knotweed of GMs - One you literally cannot remove or kill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad