Draft Lottery Winners. What Would Be The Biggest Story?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Last season, they overachieved, this year they have underachieved. Both years, they should have been a wildcard team.
I think that sounds spot on. Talbot has always been a good goaltender. I don't know what happened with him this season but I would still count him as a solid #1 goaltender having a bad year at this point. Add that Oilers have been dreadful at special teams this year, which seem as quite the anomaly in itself, and you have a couple of factors that by themselves should elevate the team next year.

I'd bet we'll see a completely new team from GM to coaching staff for next season, one that at least doesn't make almost every single player look like their worst selves, and as a result the Oilers get back to being a wild card-type of team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team. Edmonton is dead in the middle of that pack. But way to try to use its old meaning to 'strengthen' your weak arguments. Aside from McDavid, everything has gone wrong for Edmonton this year. Injuries, bad systems (assistant coaches need to go), Spending the first half of the year outchancing teams more than any other but losing on bad or flukey bounces.

This team will be bounce back and easily be a playoff team next year. Guarantee right here. Go ahead and quote me on it this time next year.

Talbot had an off season like most modern starters do. He is already bouncing back and will be fine next season. Oilers 'lack of depth' has been a shortsighted response to injuries. Yes they need a better coaching system, thats an easy fix in the summer.

These excuses are insufficient. Anaheim had either the most or close to the most man games lost to injury of any team. The dinosaur named Randy Carlyle has the Ducks playing incoherent hockey and yet Anaheim is still in the thick of the playoff hunt. I'm sure injuries and bad bounces didn't help but it doesn't paint a complete enough picture of the problem.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think that sounds spot on. Talbot has always been a good goaltender. I don't know what happened with him this season but I would still count him as a solid #1 goaltender having a bad year at this point. Add that Oilers have been dreadful at special teams this year, which seem as quite the anomaly in itself, and you have a couple of factors that by themselves should elevate the team next year.

I'd bet we'll see a completely new team from GM to coaching staff for next season, one that at least doesn't make almost every single player look like their worst selves, and as a result the Oilers get back to being a wild card-type of team.

I think there are a number of factors with Talbot. His top 3 dmen from last year have all had injury problems. I don't care how good a goaltender is, a shaky defense will make him look bad. Edmonton has a good enough defense for a Goaltender to thrive, but only if they are healthy. They don't have the depth, or that 25+ minute a night guy to afford those injuries.

I do hope for a GM and coaching change. GM specifically though. The only thing Chia has been good for is drafting. The Oilers finally have some prospects coming out of later rounds that are worth talking about. Contracts and Trades however...

He has turned Hall, Eberle, Barzal, Beauvillier and Maroon into Larsson, Strome and a 3rd round pick. He has 10mill committed longterm with NMC's for Lucic and Russell...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nyr would be interesting. Can’t think of the last time we had a top top pick, and we had good odds at Crosby and totally lost.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
There are a lot of potential Big Stories of teams winning the draft Lottery. With almost every team, there is a big story here. Which would be the biggest?

Edmonton - 5th 1st overall within 9 years. McDavid/Dhalin has to be idiot proof? Even Chia Proof?

Chicago - 1st year out of playoffs for mini-dynasty, gets new franchise player to build around.

Calgary - Throwing away Dahlin + 2 2nds for Hamonic

Islanders - If they win with either pick, is it enough for Tavares to stay? If he leaves still, it certainly makes it less painful

Senators - Replacement for Karlsson, making him even more tradeable to acquire more depth elsewhere.

Habs/Rangers - Big Market teams that need a fresh start. Story would be huge in either city.

Coyotes/Sabres - Justice for missing out of McDavid?

Vancouver - Would really speed up their rebuild. Sedins may want to stick around to mentor Dahlin.

Detroit - Crosby/Lemieux. McDavid/Gretzky. Dahlin/Lidstrom? Will history continue to selfishly reward the elite to a select few teams?

Biggest story for the Canucks would be they would finally get to draft 1st overall in the history of the franchise.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even though we all know the draft lottery is not fixed in advance for one specific team if the Blackhawks win the 1st pick I'm sure there will be some people who will say the NHL made it happen, so the Blackhawks can be better next season and so NBC has another excuse to keep showing all their games.

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Even though we all know the draft lottery is not fixed in advance for one specific team if the Blackhawks win the 1st pick I'm sure there will be some people who will say the NHL made it happen, so the Blackhawks can be better next season and so NBC has another excuse to keep showing all their games.

I think the McDavid lottery should be all the proof that anyone needs that it isn't rigged. But I think there are several potential winners this year that will
have been calling it rigged.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Nyr would be interesting. Can’t think of the last time we had a top top pick, and we had good odds at Crosby and totally lost.

Rangers have never had the top pick in the "modern" draft, in 1999 (worst draft ever) we had the 4th and drafted Pavel Brendl (bust). Had the 6th in 2004 (another terrible draft) and took Al Montoya. We f***ing deserve Dahlin

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
These excuses are insufficient. Anaheim had either the most or close to the most man games lost to injury of any team. The dinosaur named Randy Carlyle has the Ducks playing incoherent hockey and yet Anaheim is still in the thick of the playoff hunt. I'm sure injuries and bad bounces didn't help but it doesn't paint a complete enough picture of the problem.

I look around the league and I see teams getting a lot more out of a lot less roster wise. Talbot was very poor to start the year but has, for the most part, returned to form but it's inconsequential as Mclellan and company has coached this team into the gutter. It can't be overstated enough how poor a job the coaching staff has done this season, I mean I see players doing things on the ice that I would castrate my midget AA players for, and it's happening repeatedly. That's on the coaching staff to get these NHL players in line. The decisions he's made and the way he's coached this team this year have been absolutely mind boggling. His refusal to change up a completely ineffective PP, his refusal to make in game adjustments, his horrible player usage, his inability to have the team ready to start games (they've been scored on the first shot something like 9 times this year) and finish games (giving up leads in the final minutes of games)

Then take into account the fact that they are one of the most penalized teams in the league and also have the least amount of power plays by a large margin (I think the 30th place team has 10 more PP's then the Oilers this year) special teams in games this year have consistently been 4-1, 5-1 in favour of opponents. It's hard to overcome those kind of numbers alone let alone when you PK has been historically bad for long stretches of the season and the PP is just a complete non factor.

Finally I think the group just bought into their own hype and they weren't putting in the work it takes day in and day out to be competitive and the coaching staff never corrected that behaviour.

Like many have said this team isn't as good as they we're last year and they aren't as bad as they have been this year. I mean it's easy to make assertions in hindsight but the fact is many knowleageable people in hockey had the Oilers as contenders and most everyone had them firmly in a playoff position.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Everyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team. Edmonton is dead in the middle of that pack. But way to try to use its old meaning to 'strengthen' your weak arguments. Aside from McDavid, everything has gone wrong for Edmonton this year. Injuries, bad systems (assistant coaches need to go), Spending the first half of the year outchancing teams more than any other but losing on bad or flukey bounces.

This team will be bounce back and easily be a playoff team next year. Guarantee right here. Go ahead and quote me on it this time next year.

Talbot had an off season like most modern starters do. He is already bouncing back and will be fine next season. Oilers 'lack of depth' has been a shortsighted response to injuries. Yes they need a better coaching system, thats an easy fix in the summer.

My weak argument? You dont even have an argument other then putting down others and stating your opinion. It is much more plausable that a team that is consistently in the position edmonton is in, with no changes will stay in that position. You are saying that one season out of (?11) means they are a good team and will be better next year, I am saying all evidence and history says that THIS is more likely where is edmonton is at unless they make huge changes.

That is an argument friend, pointing to evidence not just insulting others and stating an opinion with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We're definitely overdue for some luck at the lottery but I doubt any of us Canuck fans are expecting that to ever happen.

I think Buffalo and Arizona have suffered nearly as bad as we have and deserve a shot at Dahlin.Calgary winning any of the lottery picks would be comedic gold.

I'm going to predict that Chicago and Ottawa will each win one of the lottery picks just because.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit got 4 Stanley cups in 21 years, they can suffer a few more years. Personally it's Vancouver time to get some lottery love.
Why does Vancouver need to get some lottery love here? Just so that Dahlin can pine away in Vancouver like the Sedins did wasting their careers there. Dahlin probably has a greater chance of winning a cup in Detroit then he'll ever have in Vancouver.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The biggest story will be how stupid and unfair this new lottery system is when a team such as Chicago or Edmonton wins the lottery again while Vancouver is stuck with 5th again despite having the worst record in the NHL over the last 3 seasons and no 1st overall picks or Stanley Cups in their 48 year history.

The new lottery system is a total joke. It offers no hope or consolation for a bad team that happens to be unlucky and it actually ensures that a bottom 3 team has better odds of drafting outside of the top 3.
It's statistically harder for a bad team to get out of the basement now. The new system does nothing to even the competitive balance out over a season or much less a generation.

Realistically the odds between the 10th worst team and the 1st are pretty negligible in a lottery such as this because its a really small sample. 18 to 4.5% odds are not really going to even out when there are not a lot of draws taking place. A few teams are going to be very lucky. Most bottom feeders will be unlucky.

What kind of insanity is this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad