Draft Lottery Winners. What Would Be The Biggest Story?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There are a lot of potential Big Stories of teams winning the draft Lottery. With almost every team, there is a big story here. Which would be the biggest?

Edmonton - 5th 1st overall within 9 years. McDavid/Dhalin has to be idiot proof? Even Chia Proof?

Chicago - 1st year out of playoffs for mini-dynasty, gets new franchise player to build around.

Calgary - Throwing away Dahlin + 2 2nds for Hamonic

Islanders - If they win with either pick, is it enough for Tavares to stay? If he leaves still, it certainly makes it less painful

Senators - Replacement for Karlsson, making him even more tradeable to acquire more depth elsewhere.

Habs/Rangers - Big Market teams that need a fresh start. Story would be huge in either city.

Coyotes/Sabres - Justice for missing out of McDavid?

Vancouver - Would really speed up their rebuild. Sedins may want to stick around to mentor Dahlin.

Detroit - Crosby/Lemieux. McDavid/Gretzky. Dahlin/Lidstrom? Will history continue to selfishly reward the elite to a select few teams?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
There are a lot of potential Big Stories of teams winning the draft Lottery. With almost every team, there is a big story here. Which would be the biggest?

Edmonton - 5th 1st overall within 9 years. McDavid/Dhalin has to be idiot proof? Even Chia Proof?

That's what they said about McDavid, yet here we are with a below .500 team and a 9M raise coming next season.

Out of all those teams, I probably want Detroit to get him.

Reactions: Voight

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That's what they said about McDavid, yet here we are with a below .500 team and a 9M raise coming next season.

Out of all those teams, I probably want Detroit to get him.

Are you implying that the guy chasing down his 2nd consecutive Art Ross, and best player in the world, isn't worth the raise. We all know Edmonton isn't as bad as their record indicates. Good teams have bad years in a league with so much parity, when circumstance doesn't go their way.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Cheering for Sens to help save the franchise. Cheering against Hawks, Central is rough enough without them pulling off a Red Sox 2012-2013 worst to first

Reactions: DRC and McLovin

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Are you implying that the guy chasing down his 2nd consecutive Art Ross, and best player in the world, isn't worth the raise. We all know Edmonton isn't as bad as their record indicates. Good teams have bad years in a league with so much parity, when circumstance doesn't go their way.

I'm not saying he's not worth the raise. Just the Oilers ruined his ELC years and now are in a 9M handicap with the exact same team next year. That's a pretty big difference.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
This draft is pretty weak so this isnt the year you want to win the lottery.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
People are gonna hate this but Detroit deserves it most. One single solitary top 10 pick in the last 25 years.

... At least, that's the argument I'm making to the hockey gods.

I would honestly be okay with this. Like I said, I somehow think this is fate.

11.5 for mcdavid, so...

Flip a coin and it lands on heads. That doesn't make it greater than 50% chance that the next flip is Heads again. Gamblers often get caught in the results of past odds. But it means nothing going into this lottery. The year after Edmonton had the 2nd best odds, in the first lottery, and the best in the next 2 and lost all 3 lotteries.

This draft is pretty weak so this isnt the year you want to win the lottery.

Weak in terms of depth? Absolutely. But we are talking about the top pick which is one of the 5 best top picks this century so far. Yes, you want to win that lottery.

Also that is an absurd thing to say. I don't care how good the top player is or not, you always want to win the lottery and get the player you want most. The only way it effects your odds the next year is if that player carriers you. If so, why would you be upset, you clearly got a winner.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Chicago - 1st year out of playoffs for mini-dynasty, gets new franchise player to build around.

Calgary - Throwing away Dahlin + 2 2nds for Hamonic

Islanders - If they win with either pick, is it enough for Tavares to stay? If he leaves still, it certainly makes it less painful

Senators - Replacement for Karlsson, making him even more tradeable to acquire more depth elsewhere.

Habs/Rangers - Big Market teams that need a fresh start. Story would be huge in either city.

Coyotes/Sabres - Justice for missing out of McDavid?

Vancouver - Would really speed up their rebuild. Sedins may want to stick around to mentor Dahlin.

Detroit - Crosby/Lemieux. McDavid/Gretzky. Dahlin/Lidstrom? Will history continue to selfishly reward the elite to a select few teams?
Great list. IMO the biggest stories would be Edmonton, Calgary, and Chicago.

Reactions: Joel Ward

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Weak in terms of depth? Absolutely. But we are talking about the top pick which is one of the 5 best top picks this century so far. Yes, you want to win that lottery.
I meant weak draft at the top.

There have been several drafts in this century where Dahlin is not a top3 pick.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
[mod] or you [mod] haven't seen Dahlin play
I live in Sweden and I see him playing every week.

Have you ever seen him playing? I really doubt it.

Also picking him doesnt affect your next season because he is not NHL ready.

Maybe team like Edmonton will force him to play in the NHL but its going to be a bloodpath.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
NYI winning it with the Calgary pic would be amazing. It would cause so much rage. Edmonton winning probably a close second.

I honestly want Vancouver to win it. They deserve the pic, but I wouldn't mind if Arizona or Detroit won it either.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad