draft lottery proposal by Gary B

Status
Not open for further replies.

WC Handy*

norrisnick said:
The seasons in the past that have already been accounted for with past drafts have nothing to do with future drafts either. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

Besides that was a line of reasoning between Jaded and I.

I can't believe I'm still wasting my time with this, but...

Draft orders are set the way they are for a reason. The point is to give the teams that had the worse season the best players.

Why should the league abandon the entire thought process behind setting the draft order just because the league missed a season?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
WC Handy said:
I can't believe I'm still wasting my time with this, but...

Draft orders are set the way they are for a reason. The point is to give the teams that had the worse season the best players.

Why should the league abandon the entire thought process behind setting the draft order just because the league missed a season?
Because the league missed a season. Period.

If the point is to give the teams that had the worse season the best players, please tell me which team had the worst '04-'05 season so Gary can give them Crosby. It would solve a lot of bickering.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
This Pens' team?

Sure . . .it is an unpopular position even among Pens' fans, but I know my team is going nowhere next year, it will be 2-3 years before we can talk about being good. If we did happen to nudge into the playoffs it would be to get our butts handed to us without winning a single game, and play for the Cup? Our best goalie was benched in the AHL playoffs. Most of our best prospects are not even shaving yet. Sure, guarentee me a top five pick and I will gladly give up the playoffs next year for the Pens. They were heading there anyways.
Add my team (Caps) to the list as well . . . . no way they are going to get a sniff of the playoffs for two or three years.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
norrisnick said:
Because the league missed a season. Period.

If the point is to give the teams that had the worse season the best players, please tell me which team had the worst '04-'05 season so Gary can give them Crosby. It would solve a lot of bickering.
Then skip the draft entirely . . . . . seems fair enough to me.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
HockeyCritter said:
Then skip the draft entirely . . . . . seems fair enough to me.
Very much so, but that isn't about to happen with media darling Crosby waiting in the wings. If he weren't out there and there was no similar hype surrounding anyone else I think Gary and the league would honestly consider it (provided the 'PA, agents, and lawyers don't throw a fit). The NHL needs the hype to help sell the game coming off the lockout. Desperately.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
luongofan said:
I personally don't like this idea. You tell me that Tampa could get Crosby? I think they should exclude all teams that made the playoffs last year.

No teams made the playoffs this season

The bottom feeders are getting their salary cap so they can compete, which means the teams that have done well in the past will suffer because of the said bottom feeders. ALL teams should have a chance in any draft lottery. Personally still think it would be better to get rid of 6-8 teams.

We would have so much less whining, better games (due to the fact slugs like Tie Domi or Chris Neil would not be in the NHL) and all the teams would make $$$$$

FrozenPond

Feb 7, 2005
WC Handy said:

The NHL has to evolve with the times. Good ideas are sometimes abused and therefore require modification.

The draft order was seen as a mechanism for giving a leg up to struggling or expansion teams. Unfortunately, too many GMs view it as a central part of their rebuild strategy. They consciously put a crappy product on the ice for a few years so that they can reap the benefit of being handed young franchise players on a golden platter. If you ask me, that sucks.

Good rebuild strategies include making improvements in management, coaching, scouting and development. The teams that primarily focus on these areas often finish ahead of the teams that purposely tank it, and are penalized as a result.

Now is the perfect time for the NHL to send a clear message to all teams in the league. The league will set a level playing field for all teams, and the teams with the best management, coaching, scouting and development will rise to the top.

This new CBA will hopefully remove the competitive advantages that existed for the economically strong markets. You will no longer be able to attempt to buy the Cup. I think that’s great for the league.

The league should do the same with the draft. Tanking it should no longer be an option. Every team should be given and equal chance at obtaining young players. Every year, every team should have a 1 in 30 chance of obtaining the top pick. Every year, every team should have a 1 in 10 chance of obtaining a top 10 pick. That is a level playing field, no more handouts.

Draft order doesn’t matter much in the 4th round, it’s all about scouting and development. That’s they way it should be. Randomly decide the draft order every year. In some years you get a good draft position, in some years you don’t, the same holds true for all teams. Over time, the teams that best manage their organizations from top to bottom will have the best odds at winning the Cup. There is nothing unfair about that.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
The league should do the same with the draft. Tanking it should no longer be an option. Every team should be given and equal chance at obtaining young players. Every year, every team should have a 1 in 30 chance of obtaining the top pick. Every year, every team should have a 1 in 10 chance of obtaining a top 10 pick. That is a level playing field, no more handouts.

The Hockey News made that same point just a few months ago. The article stated that under a new CBA that evens out the playing field, the current draft system should be re-structured and I agree. :clap:

WC Handy*

FrozenPond said:
The NHL has to evolve with the times. Good ideas are sometimes abused and therefore require modification.

The draft order was seen as a mechanism for giving a leg up to struggling or expansion teams. Unfortunately, too many GMs view it as a central part of their rebuild strategy. They consciously put a crappy product on the ice for a few years so that they can reap the benefit of being handed young franchise players on a golden platter. If you ask me, that sucks.

Good rebuild strategies include making improvements in management, coaching, scouting and development. The teams that primarily focus on these areas often finish ahead of the teams that purposely tank it, and are penalized as a result.

Now is the perfect time for the NHL to send a clear message to all teams in the league. The league will set a level playing field for all teams, and the teams with the best management, coaching, scouting and development will rise to the top.

This new CBA will hopefully remove the competitive advantages that existed for the economically strong markets. You will no longer be able to attempt to buy the Cup. I think that’s great for the league.

Draft order doesn’t matter much in the 4th round, it’s all about scouting and development. That’s they way it should be. Randomly decide the draft order every year. In some years you get a good draft position, in some years you don’t, the same holds true for all teams. Over time, the teams that best manage their organizations from top to bottom will have the best odds at winning the Cup. There is nothing unfair about that.

If your goal is to make the NHL the joke that everyone already thinks it is, then I'd recommend your new draft procedure.

FrozenPond

Feb 7, 2005
WC Handy said:
If your goal is to make the NHL the joke that everyone already thinks it is, then I'd recommend your new draft procedure.
You may believe that the NHL is a joke, but you are mistaken if you believe that everyone on the planet shares, or is required to share, your opinion. I certainly don’t.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
FrozenPond said:
You may believe that the NHL is a joke, but you are mistaken if you believe that everyone on the planet shares, or is required to share, your opinion. I certainly don’t.

I am sure that fans of the Yankees do not believe that baseball is a joke either.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
norrisnick said:
Are you willing to sacrifice any chance at the playoffs (even if your team were to be in the top 16) in exchange for a 5-10 team lottery for #1?

Actually, this isn't that bad an idea. IF you're going to do an everybody is even lottery, I would add the following "gotcha":

Teams would declare if they were going to opt in to the first part of the lottery, for the top picks, etc. Anyone who opts in is automatically excluded from making the playoffs that year. So if you opted in, got the 3rd overall pick, then qualified for the playoffs, your spot would go to the next team in line.

As you say, this puts your money where your mouth is. Only teams that truly believe they would miss the playoffs would opt in, maybe 7 to 10 teams or so.

After the opt-in teams have been done, then the final 20+ picks etc are handed out to the rest without penalty.

WC Handy*

FrozenPond said:

If I thought the NHL was a joke I wouldn't be here. Did I actually need to make it clear that I didn't literally mean everyone? I thought it was pretty obvious that my statement was referring to the people who often go off on the NHL.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
WC Handy said:
If I thought the NHL was a joke I wouldn't be here. Did I actually need to make it clear that I didn't literally mean everyone? I thought it was pretty obvious that my statement was referring to the people who often go off on the NHL.
The NHL could be perfect and those people would still go off on the NHL. You can't please everyone especially those that never want to be pleased.

GSC2k2*

I think all of this discussion about lotteries for the top pick in the '05 draft is totally misguided.

I don't think they should have anything to do with ping pong balls.

I think there should be a special "Fear Factor" competition among the respective GM's/coaches for each of the teams. I think I would be most interested in watching Pat Quinn being dropped out of a plane and punching a big hole in the pavement when his big melon head hits it. Or imagine Bobby Clarke wolfing donw a big bucket of creamed maggot soup.

Last guy standing gets Crosby.

It'd be gold, Jerry!!!! Pure Gold!!!!!!

WC Handy*

Hoss said:
Your opinion has more validity thAn his? I don't think so.

Did I say my opinion has more validity than his? I don't think so.

But now that you bring it up, yes, it is. His opinion that the Wings, Avs, Devils, etc. should have the same shot at Crosby as the Hawks, Penguins, Predators, etc. is absolutely ridiculous.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
WC Handy said:
Did I say my opinion has more validity than his? I don't think so.

But now that you bring it up, yes, it is. His opinion that the Wings, Avs, Devils, etc. should have the same shot at Crosby as the Hawks, Penguins, Predators, etc. is absolutely ridiculous.
The bottom feeders were already awarded for thier poor showing in the last draft. Why should these losers be awarded yet again for thier ineptness? And yes, in so many words, you did infer that his opinion was not as clever as your sage advice.

WC Handy*

Hoss said:
The bottom feeders were already awarded for thier poor showing in the last draft. Why should these losers be awarded yet again for thier ineptness? And yes, in so many words, you did infer that his opinion was not as clever as your sage advice.

Why should teams that haven't missed the playoffs in a decade have ANY shot at Crosby. Certainly you can see that it makes more sense that these 'losers' are more deserving of getting the early picks that the.. uh... 'winners'.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Hoss said:
Is it ineptness? Does finishing bottom five automatically make your team incompetent?

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
WC Handy said:
Because you say so?

No, because there is nothing fair about a wighted draft in this situation. Who is to say that the wings would have been better than the blues this season or, the blues better than the preds even. Who is to say that atlanta wouldnt have been a playoff team. There is no way anybody can say one team is better than the other now. Or for that matter, the last 2 ninth seeded would miss the playoffs again. The previous draft rewarded the previous season. What about the teams with new ownership and different budgets. There have been a rediculouis number of changes in personell and players since the last draft or played season.

Edit: Basically alot of things have changed , is what i was getting at.

WC Handy*

topshelf331 said:
No, because there is nothing fair about a wighted draft in this situation. Who is to say that the wings would have been better than the blues this season or, the blues better than the preds even. Who is to say that atlanta wouldnt have been a playoff team. There is no way anybody can say one team is better than the other now. Or for that matter, the last 2 ninth seeded would miss the playoffs again. The previous draft rewarded the previous season. What about the teams with new ownership and different budgets. There have been a rediculouis number of changes in personell and players since the last draft or played season.

Edit: Basically alot of things have changed , is what i was getting at.

What might have happened in a season that never happened has absolutely no relevence to how to set the most fair draft order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad