GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let me guess with Columbus luck....
Columbus chooses Smith, he'll be decent but Carlsson will be a stud.
Columbus chooses Carlsson, it'll be Smith who is a stud lol
200w.gif

:sarcasm:

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Called this months ago. That fking win over penguings cost us a franchise type of player.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, why are people making a big deal about the Weekes thing?? All he really did, was say what he did sooner than he was supposed to, right?? How do you think he had all those team related draft picks statistics ready to go??

The reason the CBJ were “set” to pick at #3, was literally in the rules after SJ went to #4, correct?? Weekes just didn’t give people watching the time to come to terms/realize it yet, no??

That said, what ever happened to the ping pong balls?? What is the explanation they give to not hold the actual lottery, the picking of the balls ‘live’??

Reactions: Fred Glover

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
this organization is cursed until I die I am convinced

How much effort went into developing Bemstrom?

What did he accomplish?

The goal this organization needed the LEAST in 23 years of hockey.

I never want to see him in CBJ Red White and Blue ever again.....EVER!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Also, why are people making a big deal about the Weekes thing?? All he really did, was say what he did sooner than he was supposed to, right?? How do you think he had all those team related draft picks statistics ready to go??

The reason the CBJ were “set” to pick at #3, was literally in the rules after SJ went to #4, correct?? Weekes just didn’t give people watching the time to come to terms/realize it yet, no??

That said, what ever happened to the ping pong balls?? What is the explanation they give to not hold the actual lottery, the picking of the balls ‘live’??
Admittedly Weekes is just a scapegoat. The only thing he did wrong was leak it early because apparently there was a production error.

No it was not in the rules. The jackets could have picked anywhere from 1-4. Obviously when San Jose was at 4, that number was eliminated, and our odds to pick 3rd went higher (as did our odds to pick 1-2).

The ping pong ball reveal is usually released in a video sometime later.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

That’s right, Bus. After all Weekes is ESPN’s hockey version of Adam Schefter so he was just trying to scoop everyone, forgetting he scooped his own network. :sarcasm:

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Who is the next generational talent on the horizon? We should pick someone who matches up well against that person so we have a chance against PIT in the coming decade..

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I'm extremely glad that something broke in me over the past season and that I checked out mentally, because I shudder to think of just how much darker my mood could be after the shitshow tonight. I am feeling incredibly bitter as is, and honestly am not seeing a reason to support that absolute clown-shoes league any further. f*** the Blackhawks, f*** Bettman, and f*** the NHL.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Weekes has nothing to do with it. The question is why the third Chicago could have won. It doesn't make me angry that we lost. Happens yes and that kind of talent doesn't mean success will come, at least quickly, especially considering the payroll Colorado barely made it, Toronto... well you see for yourself, the Oilers took a long time too, long nothing, we'll see how this season goes. On the contrary Tampa won the SC twice, even though the first number of the draft Stamkos was no longer in prime age, actually plays as a mid first round player. On the contrary, Hedman, McDonaugh, Kucherov, Point and the Goodrow -- Gourde -- Coleman were great. Of course, Vasilevskiy was also a monster.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Admittedly Weekes is just a scapegoat. The only thing he did wrong was leak it early because apparently there was a production error.

No it was not in the rules. The jackets could have picked anywhere from 1-4. Obviously when San Jose was at 4, that number was eliminated, and our odds to pick 3rd went higher (as did our odds to pick 1-2).

The ping pong ball reveal is usually released in a video sometime later.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whats Dvorsky's upside? 1C but not as likely as others to reach it? More of a 2C guy on a good team?

Thankfully we won't have to draft Dvorsky, I'm not as high on him. Though his placement on Bob's list tells you that NHL scouts are high on him, some had him in the top 4. Grant McCagg has him at #3.

If he becomes a #1C it will be in the O'Reilly vein. He's a technically clean but slow skater, lacking athleticism. Very good defensively and very good hands for finishing, great shot. But I personally hate to pick a guy like that high, anything less than perfect processing at the NHL level and he'll be stuck as a 3C.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Thankfully we won't have to draft Dvorsky, I'm not as high on him. Though his placement on Bob's list tells you that NHL scouts are high on him, some had him in the top 4. Grant McCagg has him at #3.

If he becomes a #1C it will be in the O'Reilly vein. He's a technically clean but slow skater, lacking athleticism. Very good defensively and very good hands for finishing, great shot. But I personally hate to pick a guy like that high, anything less than perfect processing at the NHL level and he'll be stuck as a 3C.
Dvorsky has improved his skating and continues to work on it, so you don't have to worry about that if Jarmo picks him. Which I give minimal chance to.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor Did you have Carlsson at #2 on your board? I could use some uplifting analysis of why Carlsson is better than Fantilli

I did and I still might, but I have to watch more of Fantilli's second half and re-evaluate, and he was really damn good in the second half.

But either way Carlsson does a lot of things better. I expect him to be a classic #1C playmaker. Fantilli goes in at top speed and makes a mess, while Carlsson knows where he is going. But Carlsson also "makes a mess" in a good way, he challenges pro defenders and forces his way inside. So while he might be able to do everything Nick Backstrom did as a static outside playmaker, he can also break the defense with his skating. Carlsson can walk defenders. And the good news is that he has a lot of room to get better in his technique and strength with his legs. He's already fast. If he learns to shoot better he'll be an amazing scoring threat. I already expect him to be a 60+ assist guy. His shot isn't very good right now but I'd rather hope a guy can figure out the shot later rather than the other stuff that Carlsson has in his pocket. He has all the hardest stuff figured out, now let's try and make him a perfect player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad