GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
+1 in the camp of wanting Leo… I just think you build championship teams with guys like him more than guys like Smith. Smith is just too one dimensional imo

Has there been any reputable reason to think Jarmo and co will take Smith over Carlsson? Beyond Portzy’s baseless tweets and the Mackenzie list? Asking for a friend.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Doug did get us #1 by trading up... The only CBJ GM with guts to do so....
And trading up to #1 has happened only once since then in 2003. No one is trading for #1 overall pick anymore unless it is such an overpay you put your franchise back a decade, guts or no guts.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Its not the same shit though, atleast this time there is a center expected to be a number 1 by almost everyone sitting here. Its not like they picked a bad year like Yakupov/Murray or taking a bit of a gamble on Dubois. Not getting Bedard sucks but its far from bad.
Sorry, as promising as the options are at 3 (and we don't even know which of the three likely options will be the pick) they aren't a prospect like Bedard. If they were they'd be going 1.

So yes, this is the same shit.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
People being upset at picking at 3 is reminiscent of the negative reactions of (many) people after the picking of Dubois over Puljujärvi.

I haven’t watched much video of Carlson/Fantilli (or Bedard really) up until this point, until the draft position was set.

While Bedard is obviously on another level offensively, I’ve made multiple comments about how simply adding him to the team still doesn’t FIX the Columbus Blue Jackets. I understand all he can bring offensively, and the concept of the other team not scoring when not having the puck. While irrelevant at this point anyway, I don’t think Bedard helps at keeping the puck out of the net at the NHL level. CHI now has the same issue they had the last couple years, and it’s the same as the CBJ, keeping the puck out of their net.

My question is what people see in the OVERALL games of Carlson/Fantilli, and who do people think will be the best OVERALL player??

It shouldn’t be looked at that the CBJ will not end up with the 2nd best player in the draft down the line. And while it might seem crazy to say at the time now, maybe Carlson/Fantilli translate their games better to the NHL, and Bedard plays his entire career on the wing.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
+1 in the camp of wanting Leo… I just think you build championship teams with guys like him more than guys like Smith. Smith is just too one dimensional imo

Has there been any reputable reason to think Jarmo and co will take Smith over Carlsson? Beyond Portzy’s baseless tweets and the Mackenzie list? Asking for a friend.
As far as I know, that’s it. But Bobs list isn’t “his” list. It’s a canvassing of scouts and what they think. It appears general consensus recently is Smith>Carlsson

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
People being upset at picking at 3 is reminiscent of the negative reactions of (many) people after the picking of Dubois over Puljujärvi.

I haven’t watched much video of Carlson/Fantilli (or Bedard really) up until this point, until the draft position was set.

While Bedard is obviously on another level offensively, I’ve made multiple comments about how simply adding him to the team still doesn’t FIX the Columbus Blue Jackets. I understand all he can bring offensively, and the concept of the other team not scoring when not having the puck. While irrelevant at this point anyway, I don’t think Bedard helps at keeping the puck out of the net at the NHL level. CHI now has the same issue they had the last couple years, and it’s the same as the CBJ, keeping the puck out of their net.

My question is what people see in the OVERALL games of Carlson/Fantilli, and who do people think will be the best OVERALL player??

It shouldn’t be looked at that the CBJ will not end up with the 2nd best player in the draft down the line. And while it might seem crazy to say at the time now, maybe Carlson/Fantilli translate their games better to the NHL, and Bedard plays his entire career on the wing.

I'm not mad about 3; I'm mad about Chicago....

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
In true CBJ fashion, the story begins with Chapter 1 where we once again blow the chance to have the worst record. Chapter 2 describes how we once again drop down in the lottery draw. I’m expecting the story ends with Chapter 3 which tells the story of shrewdly drafting Will Smith who grows up to become our next Gilbert Brule. The End.

Sorry folks - I’m just in a very pissy mood right now.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I think people are starting to overreact about the players at 3. We all knew this would be a top heavy draft. Yes Carlsson and Smith are not Bedard, but Carlsson could been 1OVA in basically any draft except 15,16 and this year. So instead of complaining about how bad these players are compared to Bedard, let's talk about why we think they can help the jackets, because let's be honest they're still very thin at C

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I’m saying we probably shouldn’t go crazy spending assets or cap space on a goalie, I don’t think our defensive lineup will be that good next season, once Jiricek matures we go all in

Same here..Weekes spoiled big time
I agree with you to an extent
don’t go crazy but they really need to figure it out
it is such an important component

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
As far as I know, that’s it. But Bobs list isn’t “his” list. It’s a canvassing of scouts and what they think. It appears general consensus recently is Smith>Carlsson
Genuinely hoping that list was based on timing, and things cool after the u18s and recency bias.

Mayyyybe I’ll live with Smith as the pick if I can believe there are multiple opinions he’s the best available, and that it’s not just Jarmo ‘smartest man in the room’ syndrome

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think people are starting to overreact about the players at 3. We all knew this would be a top heavy draft. Yes Carlsson and Smith are not Bedard, but Carlsson could been 1OVA in basically any draft except 15,16 and this year. So instead of complaining about how bad these players are compared to Bedard, let's talk about why we think they can help the jackets, because let's be honest they're still very thin at C
Carlsson would only be #1 last year and the Hischier draft year. Possibly Owen Power year.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Guts had f***-all to do with it. Rick Dudley was a blisteringly incompetent idiot and MacLean was able to take advantage. And Craig Patrick did much the same the year after. And after that Dudley was fired.
Weird draft too because the top 3 players were 3 different positions and the top 3 teams openly coveted the player they got. Columbus only gave up the right to swap 1st rounders the next year which didn't even come to pass because Florida was worse. So they got Nash for nothing. Dudley meanwhile gave Atlanta 3rd and 4th rounders go not pick Bouwmeester.

Completely possible Florida would have taken Bouwmeester if no trade was there. Would have been cheaper and easier for them.

Reactions: Viqsi

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I am happy to get Carlsson but pissed that Chicago won it. Chicago shouldn’t be rewarded for openly tanking

Reactions: cslebn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad