GDT: Draft Day 2016

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Good that they drafted so many defenseman, but i think trading down is gonna end up being a huge mistake.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the Wings struck gold in the later rounds.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Seems like a "Please Hakan, don't leave us for Toronto" draft...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
save for hronek, the Ds they picked fill the following boxes (according to wings scouting reports): size, mobility and puck-moving ability.

They should keep going with that drafting philosophy. Every great NHL defender seems to have at least 2, and usually all 3 of those things.

Obviously right now we just wait and see if we hit the next Klingberg or Gostisbehere.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This doesn't seem like an exciting draft, and not because they traded down either. Just not very many exciting players. Probably because they drafted D instead of boom or bust goal scorers?

Wings desperately needed to draft D though. It's just not as exciting.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This doesn't seem like an exciting draft, and not because they traded down either. Just not very many exciting players. Probably because they drafted D instead of boom or bust goal scorers?

Wings desperately needed to draft D though. It's just not as exciting.

I'm kind of excited to see how malmstrom turns out

Oct 18, 2006
Wright on Cholowski, "We believe he’s got top-four potential and that’s why we took him.” At pick 20 I should hope so.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
I really like that they finally went balls to the wall on D. Hopefully one or two of those guys turn out to be players.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I just hope they don't stop drafting d until we get a dcore. (And still draft one or two)

We need to stop drafting goalies until mrazek is like 29-30

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Pretty meh draft. Bit disappointed we didn't draft Tim Wahlgren and would rather have had Grundström over Smith. Not that excited over Håkan's picks anymore. Didn't bear much fruit in what? Since Nyquist was drafted?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Pretty meh draft. Bit disappointed we didn't draft Tim Wahlgren and would rather have had Grundström over Smith. Not that excited over Håkan's picks anymore. Didn't bear much fruit in what? Since Nyquist was drafted?

He hasn't that many players that got drafted. Holland traded away most of them or they left the red wings in recent years.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Corey Pronman over at ESPN gave the Wings a B- for their draft grade. Wasn't thrilled with the Wings drafting Cholowski in the first round. Felt he should have gone in the 2nd. He said he has good speed, above average offensive tools, and is good at evading pressure off the edges. He said Cholowski's physical game is a significant issue. Called him undersized and can have a real tough time winning one-on-one battles.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Stransky, Sawchenko, Kuznetsov, Lazarev, Gleason are some of the undrafted guys I would like to send camp invites to.

Really have no clue why Kuznetsov was not drafted, thought he could go in 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad