GDT: Draft Day 2016

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Taking the defense they've drafted in aggregate I am hopeful a couple will turn into NHL regulars and really hope one will turn out to be a top two guy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wings took Filip Larsson - a goalie with sweet 3.86 GAA. I guess it's an okay 6th round goalie pick - nothing mindblowing but you can't guess how they pan out.

Yeah 6th round and a goalie. Don't care at all. No problem with taking a goalie every other draft year in the latter half of the draft. Just pick a name out of hat and be done with it for the next two years.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I consider Sadowy a part of this draft class as well. Extremely happy with what they have done.

Lots of D-man and two guys that play an abrasive in your face brand of hockey. Got Abby lots of help, maybe coming in just in time to shrink his minutes by the end of his contract as he declines.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
Yeah 6th round and a goalie. Don't care at all. No problem with taking a goalie every other draft year in the latter half of the draft. Just pick a name out of hat and be done with it for the next two years.

I would agree with you, but the Wings have drafted a goalie now three years in a row. Chase Perry in 2014, Joren van Pottelberghe in 2015 and Filip Larsson in 2016. There's a myriad of free agent goalies available from Europe every offseason. No imperative need to spend picks on goalies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Elf put up decent points in Sweden. Big winger. Once again there's almost nothing about him out there. Honestly I'm pretty pleased with the draft. A ton of D with good mobility and passing.

Cholowski: wasn't a household name coming in and he's a project but honestly besides lack of strength he's pretty flawless.

Smith: looks like Bert 2.0 so while I'm not a fan I'll reserve judgment as I hated the Bert pick before so I'm mature enough to wait.

Hronek: Hakan pick, I like the sound of him

The rest are big gambles but Hakan had a big day and I'm always excited about his picks.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I really hope that trading Datsyuks contract helps us land some big-name UFAs. Otherwise we gave up a sure-fire #1 defenseman.

As of right now, I'm extremely disappointed with that draft.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I would agree with you, but the Wings have drafted a goalie now three years in a row. Chase Perry in 2014, Joren van Pottelberghe in 2015 and Filip Larsson in 2016. There's a myriad of free agent goalies available from Europe every offseason. No imperative need to spend picks on goalies.

Yeah three years in a row is a bit much for a position where you only get one starter and pick up a free agent backup for cheap or have a young guy break out and challenge your starter. So long as they are late round picks it's fine I guess.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Since there's no thread yet, here's some Elf info.

A big winger who has great skating ability and gets to top speed fairly quickly. You don’t expect to see a prospect this big with the speed to breakaway from the junior defenders, but he does. After they play against him a few rushes, they see how he forces them to back off. Displays a good strong shot, very good hands and an emerging physicality. He can beat you one on one, with a shot from the perimeter, or with body work. Projects as a player who can develop into a power player.
—Bill Placzek—

Can't paste this one, but here's another blurb. http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/CHL-Top-Prospects-RLR.pdf

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Excited about adding some high-potential D prospects. It would be so great if at least one turns into a legit player.

Only minor disappointment for me was not taking Sam Girard. I understand it in the context of the rest of our draft, but I would have liked to pick him up over one of Hronek/Malmstrom/Sambrook.

But overall an interesting group of prospects.

Gilhuleh

Sep 24, 2011
Ontario,Canada
I really hope that trading Datsyuks contract helps us land some big-name UFAs. Otherwise we gave up a sure-fire #1 defenseman.

I do agree missing out on Chychrun sucks but if he was such a sure-fire #1 defenseman I don't think he would have fell to 16. Think he tops out as a #2-3 guy.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Kind of wish we had a flier pick on Sean day. Although he has lots of issues (personal, off ice and on ice) and demons to overcome I think drw could be a good organization to set him straight

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From those who know, is Smith more talented or skilled than lil Bert? They were drafted in near identical spots from what I could recall.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
From those who know, is Smith more talented or skilled than lil Bert? They were drafted in near identical spots from what I could recall.

I preferred Bert in terms of comparing them at this stage of their developments. Though Bert had injury issues his frame was still catching up and he had more skill and was even a little grittier still. Smith is more physically developed already.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I preferred Bert in terms of comparing them at this stage of their developments. Though Bert had injury issues his frame was still catching up and he had more skill and was even a little grittier still. Smith is more physically developed already.

Interesting would you consider Smith little more inline with svechs skills set?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Dennis Cholowski
Givani Smith
Filip Hronek
Alfons Mamlstrom
Jordan Sambrook
Filip Larsson
Mattias Elfstrom

We needed D and we got D. But all of these are far away from the NHL, Smith is perhaps most NHL-ready player. Sambrook sounds like steal pick. Larsson pick i dont understand at all.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Interesting would you consider Smith little more inline with svechs skills set?

Way less skilled then svechs. He's a hard to play against tough as nails mucker. Think Matt Martin type player. Ken holland knows we need to get tough to play against. Here's top hoping he can max out his potential and be something.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Being honest here, I can ***** and moan about all the guys they drafted, but I'm not going to, the Larkin pick taught me better.

Let's see what Cholowski is made of, everywhere I look I keep reading that he has a very high IQ and is very skillful, his downside is he needs to mature physically, if that's the main issue, I like it.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Dennis Cholowski
Givani Smith
Filip Hronek
Alfons Mamlstrom
Jordan Sambrook
Filip Larsson
Mattias Elfstrom

We needed D and we got D. But all of these are far away from the NHL, Smith is perhaps most NHL-ready player. Sambrook sounds like steal pick. Larsson pick i dont understand at all.

If Holland can manage to sign and trade for a few high end players this summer, we may be ok with waiting with these guys to develop.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Wings took Filip Larsson - a goalie with sweet 3.86 GAA. I guess it's an okay 6th round goalie pick - nothing mindblowing but you can't guess how they pan out.

Good god, that is awful. :laugh:

I slept through the entire draft, see we didn't get Cliff Pu. Barnacles.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
none of them are NHL ready and that is a great thing . We have so many good prospect in GR. Let see what they can do with the big team . Hope AA, Mantha will play from day one and i like to see more Nosek, AO, Bert and other call ups

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

If he was a sure fire number 1 defensmen 15 other teams wouldnt have passed on him and 5 defensmem wouldnt have been drafted ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad