Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is actually fair, and I'm willing to admit that I might be being irrational about MZA. I have confidence that he has many more useful years left though.
I agree, but we're kinda stuck in a rough spot where he's one of our more valuable assets and he'll be due for a bigger contract after next year. If we're moving him, I'd want to get an already established prospect back rather than just another pick. I also don't really want to move him because he's one of my favorite players.

@ManUtdTobbe where do you think he'll go? I can still see us trying to move up from one of our later picks into the late teens, and I'd think he'd still be on the board.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is actually fair, and I'm willing to admit that I might be being irrational about MZA. I have confidence that he has many more useful years left though.

The hard part about our current state is that sometimes moving a player isn’t about being dissatisfied with them, but instead it is about trying to get building blocks for 3-5 years from now, and beyond.

It’s a risk because you’re moving a known quantity for the unknown, and the odds of getting equal or greater value isn't favorable.

But I think the Rangers have to explore the value that Zucc can bring back. Even if he stays relatively close to this production level, history says his value is far more likely to decrease than it is to increase with time.

For better or worse, this is the landscape we now find ourselves in.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Dobson was featured yesterday on the NHL Network during an intermission show of a Memorial Cup game. Lot's of praise from the network's talking heads.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
couple things this am.

i have 3 dmen in my top 10. all 3 would be great picks but one stands out to me.

hughes to me is the best skating dman in this draft. he's phenomenal. he has a crazy first few steps and the ability to beat anyone up the ice with the puck. his edge work is flawless. he's a dynamic skater. period. his size isnt ideal nor is his lefty shot.

boqvist isnt far behind him tbh, but the thing with boqvust is his dangerous shot. he's got a great shot and he's a scorer from the back end. his skating and shot and ability to make plays makes him a special player. his concession history and overall lack of a developed 2 way game scares me. he's also kinda small.

as for dobson- he's my favorite man in the draft after dahlin because he's got size, he's a righty, and he's extremely smart playing his position. his one on one play is stellar and he handles the puck in a smart, efficient manor. his skating is actually very good. long balanced strides get him up to speed quickly. he's very smooth in his transitions and backwards skating. he's an all around excellent skater.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I agree, but we're kinda stuck in a rough spot where he's one of our more valuable assets and he'll be due for a bigger contract after next year. If we're moving him, I'd want to get an already established prospect back rather than just another pick. I also don't really want to move him because he's one of my favorite players.

@ManUtdTobbe where do you think he'll go? I can still see us trying to move up from one of our later picks into the late teens, and I'd think he'd still be on the board.
My guess is 15-20

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm sad because i don't see us getting Bokk :(
We won't "reach" for him at 9 and he won't be there for our later picks.... This makes me soooo sad because he's exactly what we need to add to our pipeline.
Who says we won’t reach for him?

We basically made the same type of pick last year in Andersson. Frankly, no one knows what we’ll do with our picks — anything is a possibility right now IMO.

Reactions: jas

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I'm sad because i don't see us getting Bokk :(
We won't "reach" for him at 9 and he won't be there for our later picks.... This makes me soooo sad because he's exactly what we need to add to our pipeline.
if he is available at 14 or 15 i think you could see us trading up to acquire a player like him...my guess is zucc or spooner is the main piece going the other way

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
With Quinn on board does that increase the odds that we take Tkachuk with #9 pick, if he drops to us.

Also any of you guys have an idea why Boquist's value is reportedly dropping.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I don't think Boqvist's value is dropping per se, but it's feasible that he's the most likely to drop. He's one of the highest boom/bust prospects and those tend to be the players who often drop. He could be 5-10 on 15 teams' draft boards & still go in the teens. It's all about who's left and who reaches.

Of all the players realistically available at our pick (or that may drop to say, 7, wherein we may move up), Hughes would be the one guy who I would literally jump for joy for. He's my #4 in this draft and I think the most likely to be a dynamic difference maker from the backend besides Dahlin.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
couple things this am.

i have 3 dmen in my top 10. all 3 would be great picks but one stands out to me.

hughes to me is the best skating dman in this draft. he's phenomenal. he has a crazy first few steps and the ability to beat anyone up the ice with the puck. his edge work is flawless. he's a dynamic skater. period. his size isnt ideal nor is his lefty shot.

boqvist isnt far behind him tbh, but the thing with boqvust is his dangerous shot. he's got a great shot and he's a scorer from the back end. his skating and shot and ability to make plays makes him a special player. his concession history and overall lack of a developed 2 way game scares me. he's also kinda small.

as for dobson- he's my favorite man in the draft after dahlin because he's got size, he's a righty, and he's extremely smart playing his position. his one on one play is stellar and he handles the puck in a smart, efficient manor. his skating is actually very good. long balanced strides get him up to speed quickly. he's very smooth in his transitions and backwards skating. he's an all around excellent skater.

He is and it isn't all that close IMO.

I say this while acknowledging that Boqvist, Dobson and Dahlin are all great to excellent skaters.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
adam boqvist is the 2nd most talented dman in this draft. for pure talent and skills plus his hockey iq, there isnt anyone better in the attacking zone. he's both playmaker and sniper from the back end. his skating is fantastic as well. and dat shot. holy f*** can he shoot it. :nod:

hes gonna be an exciting player but the injury concerns are real and his play in his own end has holes.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I swapped Hughes with Boqvist in my top-10. I was pretty wrong about him in my original assessment, but hey, that’s why we need to watch these kids more than once or twice

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Boqvist and Hughes are close for me, and I have them at 4th and 5th respectively on my board.

Both guys have some question marks, but you can't deny the upside --- which is very high.

I don't think either player's floor is as high as Bouchard and Dobson, but I do like their ceilings.

Hughes/Boqvist both have the potential to completely change the course of a game.

Reactions: TheBPA and Bozle

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this new breed of smaller, exceptional skating and offensively gifted dmen seem to be a hot commodity right now. but i continue to believe the guys like hughes and bokvist also need to play defense to be considered elite. its not one or the other.

the only (and its a large only) thing separating hughes and bokvist from dahlin is his size. he's 6'2 1/2 and 200 lbs. his overall game is on a different level.

he plays like bobby orr but better. he's a unique specimen for sure and head and shoulders above the rest. his ability to do all things makes him different. stupid skills plus ability to play defense.

and this all brings me back to the 2nd best overall defender on my board, noah dobson.

Reactions: eco's bones

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I swapped Hughes with Boqvist in my top-10. I was pretty wrong about him in my original assessment, but hey, that’s why we need to watch these kids more than once or twice

Same here, also wrong, was not high enough on his offensive game. The difference in his play from the WJC to the WC was pretty incredible. Still not sure his shot is elite at the NHL level, but he will be able to QB a PP no doubt.

With the caveat that I haven't seen much of Boqvist, Hughes' ability to separate opposing players from pucks differentiates him. Would normally have reservations about taking a Dman THIS small SO high in the draft, but Hughes has made so many great defensive plays by using his skating, smarts, and low leverage / stick. Net front may still be a bit of a liability, but it's not like he is coming into the league in 2002 either.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
this new breed of smaller, exceptional skating and offensively gifted dmen seem to be a hot commodity right now. but i continue to believe the guys like hughes and bokvist also need to play defense to be considered elite. its not one or the other.

the only (and its a large only) thing separating hughes and bokvist from dahlin is his size. he's 6'2 1/2 and 200 lbs. his overall game is on a different level.

he plays like bobby orr but better. he's a unique specimen for sure and head and shoulders above the rest. his ability to do all things makes him different. stupid skills plus ability to play defense.

and this all brings me back to the 2nd best overall defender on my board, noah dobson.
I dunno, Hughes’ defense is way way better than people like to make it out to be just because he pinches a lot. But he never gets burned when he pinches at the college level because he’s that good/smart, but people project him to always do it at the NHL where he ‘won’t be able to get away with it as much’ like he’s not actively identifying when is a good and bad time to do it. He’s also great at separating the puck from the other team in the neutral and defensive with his stick, but since he’s not physically throwing people off of it people think he can’t play defense

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I dunno, Hughes’ defense is way way better than people like to make it out to be just because he pinches a lot. But he never gets burned when he pinches at the college level because he’s that good/smart, but people project him to always do it at the NHL where he ‘won’t be able to get away with it as much’ like he’s not actively identifying when is a good and bad time to do it. He’s also great at separating the puck from the other team in the neutral and defensive with his stick, but since he’s not physically throwing people off of it people think he can’t play defense

hes a fantastic prospect. period.

at 5'10 170 ish you just cannot do what someone who's almost 6'3 and 200 can do. you just cant.

and while he shows good defensive awareness and attempts physicality, he isnt on the same overall defensive level as dahlin or even dobson.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Very excited about possibly landing one of these top D - if we can get Boqvist or Hughes at #9, oh man would that be a win.

Question - How would you rank the following as prospects:

-Hughes
-Boqvist
-Dobson
-Bouchard
-Heiskanen
-Makar
-Foote
-Brannstrom
-Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.