Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
adam boqvist is the 2nd most talented dman in this draft. for pure talent and skills plus his hockey iq, there isnt anyone better in the attacking zone. he's both playmaker and sniper from the back end. his skating is fantastic as well. and dat shot. holy **** can he shoot it. :nod:

hes gonna be an exciting player but the injury concerns are real and his play in his own end has holes.

Actually i feel Confident saying he's the 3rd most talented dman in this draft for pure talent and skills... Ryan Merkley is above him, but he has serious issues which set him back

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Very excited about possibly landing one of these top D - if we can get Boqvist or Hughes at #9, oh man would that be a win.

Question - How would you rank the following as prospects:

-Hughes
-Boqvist
-Dobson
-Bouchard
-Heiskanen
-Makar
-Foote
-Brannstrom
-Liljegren

Heiskanen
Hughes
Brännström
Boqvist
Liljegren
Makar
Smith (adding him in there)
Dobson
Bouchard
Foote

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's the best speed skater. Dahlin is an equal or better skater.

Skating isn't just about how fast you are. Compare Aaron Lennon and Lionel Messi. Lennon is an outright faster dribbler. Messi is a considerably better dribbler. Which is harder to defend? The faster dribbler or the better dribbler.

Hughes isn't just a speed skater though, he's an excellent technical skater, great at every aspect of skating and i definitely hold his skating above Dahlins

Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Of course wanted first rounder next year as well but The way Tampa was playing most likely they weren't beating Vegas so taking 28th overall feels a little better than 30th. I know probably won't make a huge difference but maybe as trade collateral to move up in the first round it might???
So even if we keep 26 and 28 two really nice prospects should be there in a pretty deep draft.

It will be interesting to see if the Rangers dangle it as part of a trade.

Say a team asks for a pick this year, they could dangle next year's pick as being no lower than a second, with the potential to be a first.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
a some what under the radar player i like as a 2nd round grab is philipp kurashev the swiss lefty pivot who plays for the remparts in the Q.

he's got tools. skates beautifully and has some 2 way to his game. creative and possesses a very nice accurate release.

good bloodlines too.

any thoughts ?

Reactions: Joey Bones

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder:

San Jose is sending their 2019 1st to Buffalo since they are keeping Kane.

Does 26 and 28 get the Rangers to 21?

Should it?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
lol thats such a massive overpayment honestly

i wouldnt even bother moving up to 21, the difference between the quality of player at those spots is nonexistent, really.
It depends on who falls, might be worth it, might not. I guy I really like is Sandin, and his he probably isnt available at 26 anymore. Depends who is there. I'd rather have a better player, ideally I would like to go higher, but I dont think 26 and 28 get you into the teens either.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It depends on who falls, might be worth it, might not. I guy I really like is Sandin, and his he probably isnt available at 26 anymore. Depends who is there. I'd rather have a better player, ideally I would like to go higher, but I dont think 26 and 28 get you into the teens either.
Fair, and while I do think Sandin is a very good prospect (a bit underrated, really) I’d rather have two guys who will go in the 25-30 range than just Sandin.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
are the player available in the 10-20 significantly better than those from 21-35?

Should we do Namestiikov and/or Spooner + 26 or 28 to move up 10 spots or so? Or it would be a dumb move if we can get about as good a talent at 26 and 28?

Would any teams even be interested in trading for Namestnikov?

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
i think any trade that involves moving up from 26-28 (whether that be 10,15,20), isnt going to happen until that night and we see who falls and which team reaches....obviously...

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Fair, and while I do think Sandin is a very good prospect (a bit underrated, really) I’d rather have two guys who will go in the 25-30 range than just Sandin.

Really like Sandin (albeit LHD) and could see him wearing Ranger blue at pick 26. Seems like most mock drafts have him going between 22-30. Unless the Rangers scouts have him as having huge Ceiling potential I would rather keep the two picks 26/28.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
are the player available in the 10-20 significantly better than those from 21-35?

Should we do Namestiikov and/or Spooner + 26 or 28 to move up 10 spots or so? Or it would be a dumb move if we can get about as good a talent at 26 and 28?

Would any teams even be interested in trading for Namestnikov?

According to many up until pick 10- 15/16/17 then drops off a little. Its whether you prefer getting someone really good like Kravtsov at lets say 14/15 vs two very nice prospects at 26/28. I'm sure most Ranger fans would prefer the former. I would imagine teams in the first round realize how good this draft is gonna be and will want overpayment for their pick but who knows.

I personally don't think Names will move the needle that much. He's probably worth a second rounder. Probably should just keep him and see if he can have a bounce back year.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think I've talked myself into Kotkaniemi. Alright, Pronman talked me into him. But still. Lots of internet hype is making me hopeful, and internet hype is never wrong.
I know its all about BPA but what are we doing with all these young centers? Lias/Chytil/Howden/Kotkaniemi. I'm not even counting Zibby/hayes/Nieves who are all young as well. I really don't wanna move any of the young centers to wing.
If we did pick Kotkaniemi I would be salivating over our center depth in a few years. DAMN. Even without him still impressive

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
I think I've talked myself into Kotkaniemi. Alright, Pronman talked me into him. But still. Lots of internet hype is making me hopeful, and internet hype is never wrong.
I think he's gone by our pick. Dearth of centers this draft. Not necessarily a bad thing for us.

Reactions: bl02

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I know its all about BPA but what are we doing with all these young centers? Lias/Chytil/Howden/Kotkaniemi. I'm not even counting Zibby/hayes/Nieves who are all young as well. I really don't wanna move any of the young centers to wing.
If we did pick Kotkaniemi I would be salivating over our center depth in a few years. DAMN. Even without him still impressive

Plenty of centers shift to wing. Doesn't hurt to have a bunch of Cs at all.

Reactions: broadwayblue

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I wonder:

San Jose is sending their 2019 1st to Buffalo since they are keeping Kane.

Does 26 and 28 get the Rangers to 21?

Should it?

No, that's horrible for us. To go from 26 to 21 it shouldn't cost you more than a late 2nd rounder.

Last edited:
Reactions: jas

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

No, it really doesn't depend on who is there. And 26 and 28 definitely gets you into the teens...but again, that would be a bad move on our part. The guy you pick at 17 is really no more likely to pan out than the guy we take at 26. And statistically, I bet the two players taken historically at 26 and 28 are more successful than the guys taken at 17. Maybe you trade both those picks to move in to the top 10, but not to move up 5 or 10 spots.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Trading a good center for a good wing is about the easiest thing imaginable to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad