Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I don't think he's really had a down year. He's had to be a different kind of player is all.

He's got an absolutely lethal shot, great IQ and a nose for the net. He's small, but fairly stocky and has a good NHL frame in my opinion. The one knock (and it can be a big one) is that his footspeed is fairly subpar. If he doesn't make it to the NHL, that'll be the reason.

Personally, I'd easily give up our 2nd rounder for him. I can see someone else giving up more, though. It makes me think, given the above article that we're looking for slightly older prospects with a bit of experience.

If he's 5'9'' with subpar foot speed, I pass on him. The smaller you are, the faster you have to be in order to create separation. He sounds like a 3rd line player with PP time with his shot.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
If he's 5'9'' with subpar foot speed, I pass on him. The smaller you are, the faster you have to be in order to create separation. He sounds like a 3rd line player with PP time with his shot.
Mmm, maybe, I'm higher on him than most. He plays a very high intensity and energy game and he's deceptively strong. The Rangers have been looking for high character guys with very high IQ and work ethic. We don't really have many scorers in our prospect pool. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in on him.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Mmm, maybe, I'm higher on him than most. He plays a very high intensity and energy game and he's deceptively strong. The Rangers have been looking for high character guys with very high IQ and work ethic. We don't really have many scorers in our prospect pool. I wouldn't be surprised if we were in on him.

I would definitely take him as a prospect. I just wouldn't trade a 2nd round pick for him as others suggested.

It all depends on what FLA wants for him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
For reference, Connor Bleakley was a late 1st rounder and didn't sign with the team that drafted him. He went in the 5th round when he was drafted again the 2nd time around. A 20 year old has considerably diminished drafting value even if they developed since they were first drafted at 18.

I'd be interested in Mascherin as a late rounder, but no more.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
For reference, Connor Bleakley was a late 1st rounder and didn't sign with the team that drafted him. He went in the 5th round when he was drafted again the 2nd time around. A 20 year old has considerably diminished drafting value even if they developed since they were first drafted at 18.

I'd be interested in Mascherin as a late rounder, but no more.
Didn’t he have a bad back injury?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[7]
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first). Tie-breakers are governed by the same rules used to determine ties in the regular season standings. The order of picks 1–15 may change during the first round of the draft based on the results of the NHL Draft lottery. In the subsequent rounds, the basic order based on point totals is used.

For the sake of the "Rebuild" to obtain maximum best case results Rangers basically need Boston to lose the division and then lose in the first round. Then Tampa to win the whole thing to receive another 1st in 2019. Devs losing out would help with the 2nd to potentially be in the 40's.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we give up a 2nd for the florida prospect, i'll be pretty pissed

MAYBE a 3rd
Boston's 7th rounder or he can go back into the draft.

I'm really not a fan of taking overages as a principle unless the scouts feel that they can carve out an NHL career quickly. Would much rather take the chance on an 18 year old taking another step or two forward otherwise.

Reactions: Joey Bones

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
For the sake of the "Rebuild" to obtain maximum best case results Rangers basically need Boston to lose the division and then lose in the first round. Then Tampa to win the whole thing to receive another 1st in 2019. Devs losing out would help with the 2nd to potentially be in the 40's.

Yes Boston can't win the division but they can lose in the second round or first. Doesn't matter.
I guess we do have to root for Tampa to win this year. and Devils missing would be great on many different levels including the pick they traded to us.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I'd trade a conditional third or fourth (becomes a sixth or seventh if he reenters) for Mascherin
I really hope we don't trade a first for a "more nhl ready" player, that would be a really dumb move in my opinion

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Admittedly, I am not a huge Mascherin fan. I’m somewhat lukewarm on him.

Can’t say I’m terribly interested in giving up a second or third for him.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
People are falling in love with the playoffs and late season surge.

He's a good prospect. I just think one has to be careful to not fall too in love with the hot streak.

I'd be more worried about his hot streak if he did it with the same usage as he had all season, but he was bumped up the lineup and given more TOI, that's when his hot streak started so maybe he was this good all season but just never got the ice time to show it? :)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd be more worried about his hot streak if he did it with the same usage as he had all season, but he was bumped up the lineup and given more TOI, that's when his hot streak started so maybe he was this good all season but just never got the ice time to show it? :)

Definitely think the talent is there. More a question of whether a team feels really comfortable skipping over some of the other players who would still be on the board.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
BONUS ITEM: According to an NHL source, the Florida Panthers have been told that prospect Adam Mascherin won't be signing with them before the draft. If that remains the case, he would re-enter the draft where he would be an interesting prospect coming off a big season in Kitchener. He has 40 goals this season in 67 games. Mascherin was the Panthers second-round pick (No. 38 overall) in 2016 and GM Dale Tallon is now shopping him to try and get a return before the draft.

GMs' offseason priorities: Rangers open to moving a...

I really like Mascherin. Would be interesting to see where he'd go in the draft if he was eligible. Other than skating, kid's got it all.

Other interesting tidbits for the rangers
"What his colleagues are finding in those conversations is a GM in New York who isn’t against moving some of the draft picks. He confirmed he's open to trading a first-rounder.
He’s open to moving a first-rounder if he can get a good young player who is a little closer to contributing at the NHL level back in return.
“They can’t all be 18 (years old),” Gorton said. “You need different age groups to build your team.”
"

Kind of obvious seeing that NYR picked up more prospects than picks at the deadline.

As for Mascherin, I'm surprised to be honest. Pretty talented. Wouldn't mind the selection later in the draft.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sorry don't know if I should post this here but have a question.
Do I have to root for the leafs in round 1 to beat the bruins? or does it not matter in terms of draft seeding if the Bruins make it to round 2 and lose there. I think it wouldn't matter if Boston loses in first or second round when it comes to our pick they traded us in terms of where that pick ends up???
You want Boston to lose in round one, the devils to miss the playoffs and Tampa to win the cup.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You want Boston to lose in round one, the devils to miss the playoffs and Tampa to win the cup.

2 and 3 correct why do i want to Boston to lose to Toronto in round 1? You want them to lose now and get behind as many teams as possible point wise in the regular season. As long as they don't make it to conference finals it makes no difference if they lose round 1 or round 2.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
2 and 3 correct why do i want to Boston to lose to Toronto in round 1? You want them to lose now and get behind as many teams as possible point wise in the regular season. As long as they don't make it to conference finals it makes no difference if they lose round 1 or round 2.
Because Boston is a threat to Tampa and you want them out early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad