Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sure, but the latter is almost a lock to be gone by the time we pick unless good things happen in the lottery, in which case picking him would be a bad idea.

This draft is loaded with great RHD. They can still land a potential 1st pairing guy later. Wilde probably plays his way into our range with a strong showing at the u-18, he may even jump Dobson.
If we win lottery no doubt you take Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina/Boqvist. No brainer. You don't even look at need (but all those selections fill a need). I would be more than happy with Dobson at 9/10 and that could happen. Bouchard lately has been flying up the charts but who knows he could be there at 8/9.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Sure, but the latter is almost a lock to be gone by the time we pick unless good things happen in the lottery, in which case picking him would be a bad idea.

This draft is loaded with great RHD. They can still land a potential 1st pairing guy later. Wilde probably plays his way into our range with a strong showing at the u-18, he may even jump Dobson.

Precisely why we need to hope they keep losing. I really do hate to see them lose, but it would suck even more seeing Bouchard or Dobson picked one spot ahead of us

Then again... I'd still be pretty thrilled with Farabee or Smith. Best case scenario is Farabee falls and we trade up and snatch him around the 15 spot with our second 1st

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Precisely why we need to hope they keep losing. I really do hate to see them lose, but it would suck even more seeing Bouchard or Dobson picked one spot ahead of us

Then again... I'd still be pretty thrilled with Farabee or Smith. Best case scenario is Farabee falls and we trade up and snatch him around the 15 spot with our second 1st
Even if picks go as planned (i.e. meaning no one like Veleno or Hayton sneaking into top 10) Dobson will have to be there at 9. We need to be in that top 9. Even if Dobson is taken higher then a guy like Wahlstrom would drop to 8/9

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've had Kravtsov in the 10-11 range my last two rankings. I don't see the point in moving him up more than a few spots. He's now producing better, but its mostly ice-time related. He was doing pretty well with the little minutes he got with worse players. Now he's playing a big role with big minutes.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Zibanejad is doing what he's done before - showing just how high his skill level is.

The key, and one hr hasn't quite been able to fully wrangle, is staying healthy and doing it for a full season.

There's not doubt that Kreider and Zibanejad are immensely talented, the key is putting the pieces together consistently enough over an 82 game schedule.

I'll say what I've said a hundred times before, from a pure talent standpoint, 30/30 from Kreider and 30/70 from Zibanejad is not an absurd concept. It's more a question as to whether both guys can consistently lock into a zone that allows them to get there.
The burn it down crowd are excited because their values are rising.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zibanejad is doing what he's done before - showing just how high his skill level is.

The key, and one hr hasn't quite been able to fully wrangle, is staying healthy and doing it for a full season.

There's not doubt that Kreider and Zibanejad are immensely talented, the key is putting the pieces together consistently enough over an 82 game schedule.

I'll say what I've said a hundred times before, from a pure talent standpoint, 30/30 from Kreider and 30/70 from Zibanejad is not an absurd concept. It's more a question as to whether both guys can consistently lock into a zone that allows them to get there.

You think Mika has 100 point potential or is that 70 points?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry don't know if I should post this here but have a question.
Do I have to root for the leafs in round 1 to beat the bruins? or does it not matter in terms of draft seeding if the Bruins make it to round 2 and lose there. I think it wouldn't matter if Boston loses in first or second round when it comes to our pick they traded us in terms of where that pick ends up???

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Sorry don't know if I should post this here but have a question.
Do I have to root for the leafs in round 1 to beat the bruins? or does it not matter in terms of draft seeding if the Bruins make it to round 2 and lose there. I think it wouldn't matter if Boston loses in first or second round when it comes to our pick they traded us in terms of where that pick ends up???

The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[7]
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first). Tie-breakers are governed by the same rules used to determine ties in the regular season standings. The order of picks 1–15 may change during the first round of the draft based on the results of the NHL Draft lottery. In the subsequent rounds, the basic order based on point totals is used.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The basic order of the NHL Entry Draft is determined based on the standings of the teams in the previous season. As with the other major sports leagues, the basic draft order is intended to favour the teams with the weakest performance who presumably need the most improvement in their roster to compete with the other teams. Subject to the results of the NHL Draft Lottery (discussed below), the teams pick in the same order each round, with each team getting one pick per round. The basic order of the picks is determined as follows:[7]
  1. The teams that did not qualify for the playoffs the previous season (picks 1–15)
  2. The teams that made the playoffs in the previous season but did not win either their division in the regular season or play in the Conference Finals (picks 16–23 up to 27)
  3. The teams that won their divisions in the previous season but did not play in the Conference Finals (potentially picks 24–27)
  4. The teams that lose in Conference Finals (picks 28 and 29)
  5. The team that was the runner-up in the Stanley Cup Finals (pick 30)
  6. The team that won the Stanley Cup in the previous season (pick 31)
The number of teams in the second and third group depends on whether the Conference finalists also won their division. The teams in each group (other than the Stanley Cup winner and runner up) are ordered within that group based on their point totals in the preceding regular season (with the lowest point total picking first). Tie-breakers are governed by the same rules used to determine ties in the regular season standings. The order of picks 1–15 may change during the first round of the draft based on the results of the NHL Draft lottery. In the subsequent rounds, the basic order based on point totals is used.

Thanks. So gotta root for the Preds, Knights and maybe Jets to lose in first two rounds that would push the Boston pick a little higher. Just food for thought when trying to grab the likes of a Bokk around mid 20's

Reactions: NYR1967

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
BONUS ITEM: According to an NHL source, the Florida Panthers have been told that prospect Adam Mascherin won't be signing with them before the draft. If that remains the case, he would re-enter the draft where he would be an interesting prospect coming off a big season in Kitchener. He has 40 goals this season in 67 games. Mascherin was the Panthers second-round pick (No. 38 overall) in 2016 and GM Dale Tallon is now shopping him to try and get a return before the draft.

GMs' offseason priorities: Rangers open to moving a...

I really like Mascherin. Would be interesting to see where he'd go in the draft if he was eligible. Other than skating, kid's got it all.

Other interesting tidbits for the rangers
"What his colleagues are finding in those conversations is a GM in New York who isn’t against moving some of the draft picks. He confirmed he's open to trading a first-rounder.
He’s open to moving a first-rounder if he can get a good young player who is a little closer to contributing at the NHL level back in return.
“They can’t all be 18 (years old),” Gorton said. “You need different age groups to build your team.”
"

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
BONUS ITEM: According to an NHL source, the Florida Panthers have been told that prospect Adam Mascherin won't be signing with them before the draft. If that remains the case, he would re-enter the draft where he would be an interesting prospect coming off a big season in Kitchener. He has 40 goals this season in 67 games. Mascherin was the Panthers second-round pick (No. 38 overall) in 2016 and GM Dale Tallon is now shopping him to try and get a return before the draft.

I really like Mascherin. Would be interesting to see where he'd go in the draft if he was eligible. Other than skating, kid's got it all.

Other interesting tidbits for the rangers
"What his colleagues are finding in those conversations is a GM in New York who isn’t against moving some of the draft picks. He confirmed he's open to trading a first-rounder.
He’s open to moving a first-rounder if he can get a good young player who is a little closer to contributing at the NHL level back in return.
“They can’t all be 18 (years old),” Gorton said. “You need different age groups to build your team.”
"

Not surprised by this at all. I think a big part of what the Rangers are looking for is younger NHL players with whom they feel a bit more comfortable "projecting."

I'd still be somewhat surprised if the Rangers end up using all of their picks.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

“The fact that you have picks and you have the ability to get your assets, it makes you a little more popular amongst your peers,” Gorton told The Athletic.

“At the point we’re at, we’re looking to get as many good players as we can,” Gorton said. “We’re trying to rebuild. It’s hard to say no to anything. We have to keep our options open and I think we’ll do that.”

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Let's say Mascherin doesn't get traded anywhere and goes back to the draft? Where does he go? 20? 25? Would folks be willing to trade one of our late 1sts for him?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Let's say Mascherin doesn't get traded anywhere and goes back to the draft? Where does he go? 20? 25? Would folks be willing to trade one of our late 1sts for him?
Do you think Florida would take our second rounder we got from NJ?

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017

He had a down year compared to last year even though he scores 40 goals.

They are fighting for a playoff spot. Do we trade them Devils 2nd round pick and a roster player?

The roster player won't be able to play in the playoffs but maybe help them get ahead of the Devils for the final playoff spot?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Coming off a slightly down year, into a deep draft --- that's certainly a calculated risk. Especially when history dictates players don't typically go higher the second time around.

Reactions: Joey Bones

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
He had a down year compared to last year even though he scores 40 goals.

They are fighting for a playoff spot. Do we trade them Devils 2nd round pick and a roster player?

The roster player won't be able to play in the playoffs but maybe help them get ahead of the Devils for the final playoff spot?
I don't think he's really had a down year. He's had to be a different kind of player is all.

He's got an absolutely lethal shot, great IQ and a nose for the net. He's small, but fairly stocky and has a good NHL frame in my opinion. The one knock (and it can be a big one) is that his footspeed is fairly subpar. If he doesn't make it to the NHL, that'll be the reason.

Personally, I'd easily give up our 2nd rounder for him. I can see someone else giving up more, though. It makes me think, given the above article that we're looking for slightly older prospects with a bit of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad