"Draft and Develop" or "All In": What's next for the Jets?

What main direction should the Jets take now to get to the level of a true contender?

• Total voters

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah they have the ability to give him a front loaded contract with mostly signing bonus'. But that mean Marner is likely on his way out. Is that a tire we want to kick? Comes cheap in actual money but cap hit is a dozy.
Money needs to go towards the D....

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There wasn't much financial incentive (i.e., no fans) to juice up the team this year. Perhaps I am not too surprised this year's team wasn't invested into as much to "go for it".

I don't think our window is extremely short-term. Yes, we have good value contracts for Scheifele and Hellebuyck for three more years, but then Wheeler's contract comes off the books at that point in time. The team does not go bust after three more seasons. I think the Jets should continue to draft and develop until the team is ready to hit a home run.

Clearly, the defense is killing us. We had awful players last year (thanks Buff for that!), which was barely patched for this season. We need to find that high-end#1 RHD somehow this offseason (UFA/trade). I am OK giving up some draft capital/prospect for this piece. While I don't think our window will close, I also don't want to waste a season with such an obvious hole.

I still like Chevy (I think he strikes very good contracts and his scouting department typically makes great hits). While some may think I am a Maurice Apologist, I just think he deserves a fair shake as I often think he gets excessively impugned for these that are not reasonably in his control. I am indifferent to a coaching change to be honest. I don't like the lack of fight when a series starts to go bad (Vegas, Game 6 vs STL, Montreal).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know why you would say that Perfetti is off the table, especially when everyone else is on it.

Much as I like Perfetti and would love to keep him, our need for D outweighs our need for F. Not that there won't be a spot for Perfetti as soon as next year, but it is easier to fill a LW hole than it is to fill a top pair D hole.

You have to give to get and he is a valuable piece. If he is what it takes to get what we need, I move him in a heartbeat - for the right return.

The issue I have with going for those types of players are two fold. First no one gives up top pairing dmen signed to a term contract and two the top dmen that do get moved generally are on the last year of their deal before being able to walk as a FA.

If you can find a team willing to part with a top dmen with a good amount of term left then sure our grade A prospects should be on the table, I just peg our ability to get one of those players as incredibly slim.

For the players with one year left before being able to walk to UFA no way are either of our prime prospects on the table for a rental. That would be incredibly short sighted. Even if an extension is agreed to I don't do it. Karlsson didn't land Ottawa a grade A prospect with a year left so no way should the Jets give one up for a player in that same situation.

I think we need to be realistic and expect a couple top 4 dmen like Dumba or Ristinan plus internal growth from our prospects and no way is player of that caliber worth a Perfetti or Heinola.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241 and Cypruss

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't like the window open / window closed debate. There's enough parity of talent in the league that any team can win it any year. It's all about what team wants it bad enough.

I don't really ever like the GM strategy of going all-in. Each decision should be evaluated on a short term vs long term payoff but my bias would always be toward long term payoff.

Reactions: ps241 and Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There wasn't much financial incentive (i.e., no fans) to juice up the team this year. Perhaps I am not too surprised this year's team wasn't invested into as much to "go for it".

I don't think our window is extremely short-term. Yes, we have good value contracts for Scheifele and Hellebuyck for three more years, but then Wheeler's contract comes off the books at that point in time. The team does not go bust after three more seasons. I think the Jets should continue to draft and develop until the team is ready to hit a home run.

Clearly, the defense is killing us. We had awful players last year (thanks Buff for that!), which was barely patched for this season. We need to find that high-end#1 RHD somehow this offseason (UFA/trade). I am OK giving up some draft capital/prospect for this piece. While I don't think our window will close, I also don't want to waste a season with such an obvious hole.

I still like Chevy (I think he strikes very good contracts and his scouting department typically makes great hits). While some may think I am a Maurice Apologist, I just think he deserves a fair shake as I often think he gets excessively impugned for these that are not reasonably in his control. I am indifferent to a coaching change to be honest. I don't like the lack of fight when a series starts to go bad (Vegas, Game 6 vs STL, Montreal).

I mean we spent over the cap this year, not much more money the team could have thrown at the roster.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
After the draft. ..
Give up someone young with some adds for a re-signed Jones would be my first choice. Samberg, 1st in 2021, Copper and 3rd in 2022.
I doubt he would sign here.

Give Hamilton 6 x 9.125 with most of the money paid in the first three years...

Cernak for Copper and a 3rd would be nice.

Pesce for Copper, 1st in 2021 and KV.

I'd offer Ryan Murray a 2 x 3.75m deal but I doubt he accepts that low.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't like the window open / window closed debate. There's enough parity of talent in the league that any team can win it any year. It's all about what team wants it bad enough.

I don't really ever like the GM strategy of going all-in. Each decision should be evaluated on a short term vs long term payoff but my bias would always be toward long term payoff.

Yeah the window is always open as long as you have good players on good contracts. Colorado took a dip to get rid of some locker room cancers and snag themselves some good defencemen in Makar and Byram and they are on the up swing. Boston took a dip to grab themselves McAvoy, although they hit a home run with the Pasta pick. Sometimes even with a good roster a year or two of being bad can pay off.

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah the window is always open as long as you have good players on good contracts. Colorado took a dip to get rid of some locker room cancers and snag themselves some good defencemen in Makar and Byram and they are on the up swing. Boston took a dip to grab themselves McAvoy, although they hit a home run with the Pasta pick. Sometimes even with a good roster a year or two of being bad can pay off.

I wouldn't oppose a retooling year next year where we play our kids and if we dip in the standings and have a shot at Wright, Lambert, Savoie etc.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Semi scorched earth approach
‘21 1st+Copp+Heinola for Parayko
‘22 1st+‘22 3rd (CBJ)+Vesalainen for Reinhart
Sign UFA Armia
Sign UFA Perreault
Extend Pionk
Lose Appleton to Seattle in XD
77D4CD2F-53AF-4666-B429-A0284ECE4AFA.png

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Semi scorched earth approach
View attachment 444577

The defence of this roster has me thinking. Samberg seems like the perfect partner for Pionk if we can hit on him being a solid 4-6 kind of guy that works well. Moving Heniola for an established good RHD seems like a solid move if we can pull it off. Sure that could look bad down the road but it makes us much more competative right now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't oppose a retooling year next year where we play our kids and if we dip in the standings and have a shot at Wright, Lambert, Savoie etc.

Adding one of those guys likely makes one of our forwards expendable. Hard to guarantee you get any of the 3 without finishing dead last though.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Adding one of those guys likely makes one of our forwards expendable. Hard to guarantee you get any of the 3 without finishing dead last though.

Well Wheeler will be 35 next year and the year after 36 so I think the logical step would be to to have one of those players slide into his top 6 slot.

I think Savoie as a RS speedy skilled playmaker would be the best fit for that slot and we'll he might be the easiest to get as I think he is still on the table at 4 or 5.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well Wheeler will be 35 next year and the year after 36 so I think the logical step would be to to have one of those players slide into his top 6 slot.

I think Savoie as a RS speedy skilled playmaker would be the best fit for that slot and we'll he might be the easiest to get as I think he is still on the table at 4 or 5.

Hard to say, he had a pretty solid year in the USHL. If he can come in and be a solid player for the Ice next year he can keep his stock high. 2022 and 2023 look like solid drafts to have both high picks and a good quantity of picks. Any team retooling or rebuilding in these years should get some pieces they can work with.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hard to say, he had a pretty solid year in the USHL. If he can come in and be a solid player for the Ice next year he can keep his stock high. 2022 and 2023 look like solid drafts to have both high picks and a good quantity of picks. Any team retooling or rebuilding in these years should get some pieces they can work with.

I agree. I look forward to attending some ice games and seeing him next year. The Ice should have a good team and I look forward to getting back into scouting again and preparing a top 20 list for next year's draft. I missed doing it this year but not enough access to ayers to fairly assemble.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree. I look forward to attending some ice games and seeing him next year. The Ice should have a good team and I look forward to getting back into scouting again and preparing a top 20 list for next year's draft. I missed doing it this year but not enough access to ayers to fairly assemble.

Theres a lot of ways to watch if you can find them online. Easy enough usually to catch most games. It has been a hard year to scout kids from the armchair this year as the talent was playing all over the place. I got enough views to know who I like and who I don't like. Hard to get to invested with the sneaking suspicion that our 1st rounder is likely gone.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I doubt our first is moved unless it's at the draft with a player to get a d man. Anyone thinking they move it to protect Stanley or Appleton are completely out to lunch.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I mean we spent over the cap this year, not much more money the team could have thrown at the roster.

So this team with this d is a cap team.

How does something like this happen ?

is it fixable ?is our forwards group going to make us rely heavily on elcs instead of being able to get external help? Without trading one of our long term guys?

When are we going to be a now team ?
so many questions.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So this team with this d is a cap team.

How does something like this happen ?

is it fixable ?is our forwards group going to make us rely heavily on elcs instead of being able to get external help? Without trading one of our long term guys?

When are we going to be a now team ?
so many questions.

A good chunk of it comes off the books this summer.

Stastny and Perrault give us $11 million in cap space just between the two of them.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
8 years is long enough. It's time for a new voice. Seems If CSW isn't an option our coach has no clue.

Relying on CSW all year and not trying different combos... This is what happens.

Not getting the young D games when things were already determined is also on coaching. Top pair Poolman is on coaching.

I'd fire Maurice and Huddy and Kompon. Keep Lowry and give Vincent a chance. Ppl will say what has he won tho and I'll say... What has Maurice won ever either. Nothing.

Atleast Vincent is familiar with our younger players.

Reactions: Mbraunm and Cypruss

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think a big question relates to the potential / ceiling of the Jets' top prospects - Heinola and Perfetti.

For the Jets to really make a run in this window I think Perfetti needs to develop fairly quickly into a Suzuki-level player, and Heinola needs to develop into a very good top-4 D. If neither of them hit that level, I just don't think the Jets can be a true contender because their current roster doesn't have enough depth of talent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
8 years is long enough. It's time for a new voice. Seems If CSW isn't an option our coach has no clue.

Relying on CSW all year and not trying different combos... This is what happens.

Not getting the young D games when things were already determined is also on coaching. Top pair Poolman is on coaching.

I'd fire Maurice and Huddy and Kompon. Keep Lowry and give Vincent a chance. Ppl will say what has he won tho and I'll say... What has Maurice win ever either. Nothing.
Take it to the coaching thread, please. If you have any thoughts about the thread topic / questions, it would be great to hear your perspective.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
A good chunk of it comes off the books this summer.

Stastny and Perrault give us $11 million in cap space just between the two of them.

They are big pieces for us. More so stats. Going to have to pay to replace them. The way this team is built it has to 95 percent count on our long term players to get better. We are a one way track team .

Adding rookies is great and exciting. But it doesn’t necessarily make your team better immediately.

Either we have the most active offseason we have ever had or it’s more of the same. Sign everyone we already have and add some depth.

I hope it works out either way

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Voted other. This team won't become a true contender.

There's something inherently broken with this team. Something simple like upgrading the D or a new coach won't work. It's something deeper than that. If I knew what it was, I could suggest a way for the team to improve.

The core as constructed currently means this team is good enough to get into the playoffs, and win a round or two. But won't have what it takes to go all the way.

Now, may as well as pour myself a drink, 'cause that's what unemployed bums do in the middle of the afternoon :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Take it to the coaching thread, please. If you have any thoughts about the thread topic / questions, it would be great to hear your perspective.

Why? I chose other and it's the only somewhat realistic option. You aren't trading your kids on ELCs.. you can't move a guy like Wheeler because nobody would take him. So you are left with one option... Fire the coaching. Complacency is a thing with this group and the only realistic option is move on from the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad