Speculation: Dougie Hamilton Negotiations (Pt. 2)

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
The question Dougie needs to ask himself, IMO, is can he handle the Press pressure he will be getting is such a larger market?

Boston was a bust,
Calgary better but didn't associate with teammates supposedly
Carolina relaxed and prospered teammates liked him.

I understand he is older and more mature but the question still remains will he be as successful if he moves to a market where he is going to be hounded day in and day out by the Press.

To me if not Carolina, Dougie would be better off going someplace like Nashville, Dallas, maybe Colorado or Seattle, where he won't constantly be hounded by the Press, just my opinion.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The question Dougie needs to ask himself, IMO, is can he handle the Press pressure he will be getting is such a larger market?

Boston was a bust,
Calgary better but didn't associate with teammates supposedly
Carolina relaxed and prospered teammates liked him.

I understand he is older and more mature but the question still remains will he be as successful if he moves to a market where he is going to be hounded day in and day out by the Press.

To me if not Carolina, Dougie would be better off going someplace like Nashville, Dallas, maybe Colorado or Seattle, where he won't constantly be hounded by the Press, just my opinion.

I think all this is probably bunk, tbh.

If he stays, it's probably because he wants to stay, and the offer satisfies his ego.

If he leaves, it's probably because he believes he's worth more and wants to feel valued, which also satisfies his ego.

Either way, the money will be astronomical. Some folks keep score with money, and if he is one of those people, the highest score will be somewhere else.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I think all this is probably bunk, tbh.

If he stays, it's probably because he wants to stay, and the offer satisfies his ego.

If he leaves, it's probably because he believes he's worth more and wants to feel valued, which also satisfies his ego.

Either way, the money will be astronomical. Some folks keep score with money, and if he is one of those people, the highest score will be somewhere else.

I agree it will probably be about the money, That is why I stated in my opinion I think he should consider.

However, I believe that in a lot of athletes going for Free Agency and they take the money, Some succeed and some fail after they land that big contract. I see Dougie as having a potential of being on the failing end if he goes someplace where he will be constantly under the presses eyes.

I for one hope he stays, and if he goes I wish him luck, but if he goes to NJ, or another high profile team where the Press will constantly be on him, it will not surprise me to see him traded in 3 to 5 years with his team eating a big portion of the contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I agree it will probably be about the money, That is why I stated in my opinion I think he should consider.

However, I believe that in a lot of athletes going for Free Agency and they take the money, Some succeed and some fail after they land that big contract. I see Dougie as having a potential of being on the failing end if he goes someplace where he will be constantly under the presses eyes.

I for one hope he stays, and if he goes I wish him luck, but if he goes to NJ, or another high profile team where the Press will constantly be on him, it will not surprise me to see him traded in 5 to 5 years with his team eating a big portion of the contract.

Any contract will give him legacy money.

He needs to decide what value money is in relation to who he will work with, the community he will live in and the team/franchise he will join

Plenty of folks (particularly short work lived athletes) have taken the extra money only to regret where they ended up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

So would Dougie be considered "the big splash" at the price points discussed above?

I have a feeling this might be the setup for;

“we like Dougie and gave him a fair offer, but we needed an answer now so we could plan for free agency. Ultimately, he wants more than we are offering so we have to move on.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009

“we like Dougie and gave him a fair offer, but we needed an answer now so we could plan for free agency. Ultimately, he wants more than we are offering so we have to move on.
The problem is that Donnie says pretty much the same about Fox. "Yeah, I feel good about this, everything would be fine".

Honestly I'm not sure it's good strategy to pay that much for Dougie. But Tampa pay a lot and find a way to keep the things balanced, so... I prefer to keep the core, to keep the really good players. Hamilton is good player, really great fit. If Dundon wants to pay, he will.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I think the Canes are looking at if Dougie Signs they Buyout Gardiner, If Dougie Doesn't sign they keep Gardiner on the roster, hoping he can play and be the point man on the PP. That is why they need Dougie to give them an answer within the next 48 hours.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Stupid question - if you buy him out, why not just bury him? Whats the diff? If you can't get anything for the asset, can you just waive him and see if someone takes that horrid contract? If not you use the 22m expansion fees to pay his stupid salary.

I'd MUCH rather have Deangelo than Gardiner. Dougie to gards is a massive slap in the face.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Stupid question - if you buy him out, why not just bury him? Whats the diff? If you can't get anything for the asset, can you just waive him and see if someone takes that horrid contract? If not you use the 22m expansion fees to pay his stupid salary.

I'd MUCH rather have Deangelo than Gardiner. Dougie to gards is a massive slap in the face.
I guess it depends on how much cap space they need this season. They free up more by buying him out than burying him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

You save 2.8 million in space with a buyout only 1.125 with a bury in the minors.

Last edited:

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007

I for one hope he stays, and if he goes I wish him luck, but if he goes to NJ, or another high profile team where the Press will constantly be on him, it will not surprise me to see him traded in 3 to 5 years with his team eating a big portion of the contract.

NJD fan here....the Devils are not a high profile team. We have a couple of beat writers, that's about it. The media market barely knows we exist. It's perfect for a guy like him if he wants low key.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018

Cap hit on buried $2,975,000 X 2 years = 5,950,000
Cap hit on buyout: $1,441,667 X 4 years = 5,766,668
Savings all around for the Buyout.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

I agree. Also, think it's a big mistake to overpromise and put hope out there so soon after after the Ned situation if he knows a deal isn't getting done. A more measured and restrained approach might have been the way to go given the state of the fanbase right now.

It almost feels like the FO is overreacting to the playoff performance as much as fans sometimes do. Negating how a tough learning experience, along with an added year of maturity, could serve as a performance motivator with someone like Ned, for example.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Oh please, he could have mentioned the negotiation deadline and level set..a little transparency can go a long way. Particularly, when he's already built up expectations on the Ned replacement front.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

Seems like a thinly veiled attempt to squeeze a 4th/5th round pick from the devil's to me.

I hope I eat crow... because I really want Dougie back, but I'm getting sick of the BS Don and the FO feeds the media.

All of this hardball negotiation is going to backfire really quickly.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seems like a thinly veiled attempt to squeeze a 4th/5th round pick from the devil's to me.

I hope I eat crow... because I really want Dougie back, but I'm getting sick of the BS Don and the FO feeds the media.

All of this hardball negotiation is going to backfire really quickly.

I do think this could be true.

Devil's have a 7 year $63 million deal on the table and want him bad. Ideally they just wait out the clock and sign him.

Waddell sees this and makes his final pitch. Let's say he matches the $55-60 million over 8 years. Ideally Hamilton would prefer to play in Carolina or the point is moot.

Now NJ can either lose Hamilton or pay Carolina assets to up their offer to $72 million over 8 years. Waddell can decide what that may be worth to him versus retaining Hamilton. That 8th year is Waddell's last chance to extract value, either through trade or a lower AAV.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Well, if he lie to us, that's another questionable move from the Regime.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
We'd replace him by committee.

Thats true and it isn’t. Hamilton completely changes the way you play when he’s on the ice, you don’t replace something like that by committee. The replacements will be a different PP QB/shooter, and a new partner for Slavin (probably different players) so I’m that sense, yes. But it’s not replacing what he actually brings to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad