Dougie Hamilton & Michael Frolik Introduced on Friday @ 10am

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Regarding the high number:

-Both Burke and Treliving believe in that policy of low numbers. The problem they're running into is running out of numbers due to retired/unofficially retired numbers. They've made the decision to expand their numbers. Apart from Michael there might be a few other changes, but it was management's choice, not because Michael demanded it.

Dougie, where does our defence rank around the league:

-It's exciting. Could see how active they were last year. For me I just want to fit in and play my game, and I think my game suits that style. Exciting for me to learn and adjust and get back to playing that way.

Why sign long term in Calgary?

-Why... not? (lulz) It's exciting and a dream come true. Likes that he's playing with a Canadian flag on his shoulder.

Michael, you've been around the league for a while. Everyone seems to think you're a quietly solid player. Now you're being paid for being a solid player. What does that mean to you?

-Doesn't really change much. I'm excited to be here and happy. We'll see what the role is going to be, but I'm excited to do it. Reiterates that he can play anywhere in the lineup.

About the choice to come to Calgary:

-We met during the draft. With management here, I have a good feeling about the organization, and I know they like me as a player and a person. Had a good feeling coming out of the meeting.

Why 67?

-Not really much meaning. I just like the number. Jagr was his favourite player, so he went one number lower.

Michael, what do you do to get ready for the season?

-I just do the same thing, do my routine and don't change that. I know what I need to do to be ready for the season. Overall it's going to be great here and I'm very excited to work with the coach here. He likes players who play hard, and I want to be the guy he likes.

Dougie, are there comparisons between Gio and Chara and what they do as captains?

-Yeah, you can take things from every player. I learned from a lot of players on Boston, and I'm excited to learn from guys on Calgary. Both captains have great leadership. Make you feel welcome when you first arrive. More watching and learning from them... hopefully I can take some things from Gio.

What are you looking forward to most?

-New chapter of my life. Everything with this organization so far has been really good. All that excites you. It's a great place to play with the crowd, city and organization. No real flaws with this place. I'm excited to start playing and evolve as a player and a person.

Brad, the team made a quantum leap... there tends to be regression. Getting these players, what do you think it says to people around the league?

-To improve, a lot of people think it needs to come from the outside, but there's 'organic' growth. You look at a lot of our young guys. Our message to all of our players was that everyone needs to get better. We're pushing everybody in terms of their conditioning. But when you have the opportunity to add players like this, they fit needs that we have... the exciting thing is they come in and they make us better, they can make others better, and they can grow with us. We're always trying to get better. You look around the league, and it hasn't gotten any worse, so we also need to get better.

When you look at your d-corps on paper now, what are your first thoughts in terms of its capability?

-It's exciting. Can move the puck, all kinds of combos, ability to kill penalties, run PPs... there's depth, there's balance. It's exciting. Has a chance to be a real dynamic defensive corps. At the same time, there's a lot of time to talk about it, but in the end we'll have to go out and do it. Thinks he's given the coaches a lot of options.

Frolik, what about your relationship with Hudler, who's a bit of a character....

-I know him pretty well. Never had the opportunity to play on the same team. Both work out in Montreal. I know he's a pretty funny guy. One of a kind. Pretty excited, and I know we're going to have fun together. As a hockey player, he had a great year last year and he's a smart player.

Was last year a good marketing campaign for the Flames?

-I think it plays a part. We made the trade for Dougie, I get on the phone and we start talking, and a little bit into the conversation and he's talking about winning. We sign Michael, and once again a short time into the conversation, he talks about winning. They both want to win. Again, we have to curtail talking about our success last year, because it ended too soon. But when you play longer, you get more visibility and the league sees you more as a winning team. Just seeing the city come alive and seeing the atmosphere, it makes players excited to come here. Starts when they look and say "I like what's going on there." Makes the pitch easier.

Are we trying to emulate Anaheim's build and team makeup?

-They're a great team. There's a reason they finished where they did, and they probably got even better in the summer. I don't know if there's one team you try to copy. You're trying to get ahead of the competition. In the end, it still always comes down to getting good players. Both of these guys fill needs and make us better. I don't know if there's a bulls-eye target. We feel strongly that to have success, the game needs to be played a certain way, and both of these guys help with that.

Dougie, was there a time when you realized that you weren't going to be a Bruin for life?

-Not really. I think going through it I thought I would be a Bruin for life. Had that vision that I'd only wear one jersey in the NHL. I am really thankful to that organization. It's a great organization, and the fans and teammates are unbelievable. Something that I enjoyed a lot. I'm excited now to move forward. Excited to be back in Canada and to be a Flame. Things change quick and you just move on.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Thanks for the write up AS!!

Happy to see the silly number rule be changed

Aug 3, 2010
Thanks for the write up AS!!

Happy to see the silly number rule be changed

Actually it's too bad. I started to hope that eventually all of Calgary's numbers from 1-39 would be retired with great players, due to the low-numbers policy. Then Calgary would be left with 40+ and the team would have the highest average numbers on each player in the NHL, kind of a unique thing.

Oh well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hamilton with his trademark terrible attitude and nothing but bad things to say about his prior team and past teammates.

There was no reason for him to drag that into the conversation, either. Just seems like he wants to take shots at them at every opportunity. :shakehead

May 27, 2012
Earth
So it's gonna be forever
Or it's gonna go down in flames
You can tell me when it's over
If the high was worth the pain
Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
Cause you know I love the players
And you love the game

Aug 3, 2010
Frolik looks like an older Ashton Kutcher.

191075-23d70ed2-a287-11e4-b988-694a6302ad1f.jpg
|
michael_frolik_chicago.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay I just changed my mind on Frolik, let's make him our #1 RW and play him with Johnny Hockey & Monahan.

We could call the line Two and a Half Men

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Okay I just changed my mind on Frolik, let's make him our #1 RW and play him with Johnny Hockey & Monahan.

We could call the line Two and a Half Men

Haha that's really good actually :laugh:

It's also possible, they might want to move Hudler on Bennett's line to even out the scoring as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00