Value of: Doughty to Toronto

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Given that Lou would have a full year to talk Drew into a contract, especially when he would be playing with the young crowd TOR has to help him have fun playing again, I am not sure the lack of an extension has more value than the mid-late first that it should turn into.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Anyone who thinks the Leafs get it done without Marner or Nylander in the deal is high lol

Anyone who thinks the Kings will get a signed Nylander or ELC Marner+ his rights for ONE YEAR of Doughty is high.

If they can get that or even better, I would tell them to take it because I sure as hell wouldn't give up those sorts of players for ONE YEAR of Doughty.

The Kings are not in a position of strength, every day that Doughty doesn't sign his value diminishes and we have seen that the current Kings team is VERY far away from a cup.

Maybe if they sign Tavares, Doughty is back on, but right now it looks like Doughty is as good as gone.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The Kings are not in a position of strength, every day that Doughty doesn't sign his value diminishes and we have seen that the current Kings team is VERY far away from a cup.

While I agree with this in principle, this is also what darn near everyone in the hockey world was saying about Duchene as well. Now I do not think Lou is as dumb as Dorian, senility can strike at any time. :)

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
No doubt he gets more than Subban. He's better. As for the question, my guess is he goes to the highest bidder that isn't a fishbowl hockey market. I'm thinking maybe Capitals, Flyers, or even Blues.
Capitals are in a cap crunch. Only way I see them they affording Doughty is to lose Carlson and keep the cap space, or trade Holtby away.

Flyers will not have the cap space without MAJOR changes. Provorov getting a huge raise next summer.

Blues probably want to use that cap space at C or LHD as they have two extremely good RHD. Pietrangelo and Parayko make Doughty a luxury not needed. Only way they add Doughty is moving one of those three to play on their off side.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Joined 2007 and still can't spot a sarcastic comment

How are you keeping all of Matthews, Nylander & Rielly with Doughty on roster? Adding him as a free agent?

Ya as I said earlier.. likely only FA could make Doughty a Leaf. I just don't see front office risking assets for a guy that can walk soon after acquiring. Leafs are only going to get better with time.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
He has 1 year left.

1 year of anyone in the NHL isn't worth that, if we were moving those sorts of packages I'd just look for young assets coming back, not a guy we could sign anyways in a year.

A much more realistic trade would be Kapanen, Liljegren and a 1st, although I doubt Kings do it, but I also doubt they'd get significantly more.

People VASTLY overrate what 1 year of any player is worth, even the best in the world.

The op literally says with a reasonable extension

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
How is Toronto not a contender with...

C - Matthews + Kadri
W - Marleau + Hyman
D - Doughty + Rielly
G - Andersen

as well as
two/all of Nylander Marner Brown
one/both of Gardiner Zaitsev
one/both of Dermott Kapanen

???

Why not sign with Pitts on the cheap if he wants a cup?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ask yourself how they aren't a contender when they are out in the 1st round by next week.
Psychic predictions as the basis of an argument demonstrate an inability to support your argument and suggest a motivation of pettiness and spite. This is obvious to everyone, can you not see this?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
With an extension I would pay Nylander+1rst and a prospect not named Timmy. Probably a bit more if I had to.

However, it makes far more sense to keep all that and sign him as a Free agent. if he really wants to come to Toronto (which I put at about a 20% chance) there is no need to trade when we can just wait for him. Either pay the deadline price or wait until he is free.

Odds are he stays in LA IMO.

Jan 21, 2018
Anyone who thinks the Leafs get it done without Marner or Nylander in the deal is high lol

No, that's exactly how it'll get done if it happens. Doughty either joins the Leafs as a UFA or he remains with LA (or signs with a different team).

Do you really think LA will give up on Doughty and trade him for a 1st + whatever at the TDD? He's going to finish out the year and then decide on his future in the offseason, we see it every time with big name free agents, they take all the time they want because they've earned the right to do so and teams will wait on them.

Anyone who thinks the Leafs are trading to acquire Doughty is high.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
IF Kings were looking to rebuild and wanted a winger for doughty than their is a small chance number 1 D normally you try and obtain a Number 1 C at a little younger age

Nylander + 1st + High end blue chip prospect is what it would cost probably k.k / Lil G

Or

Kadri , 1st + high end prospect

Reactions: KingTrouty
Feb 24, 2017
Hell no to the non extension offer.

The extension offer...

That's pretty devastating if Liljegren develops into a top pairing RHD. Or if the Kings really hit on that 1st rounder. Absolutely crushing if both happen. Not sure that Lou will pay that price due to the risk factor.

On the other hand, if Liljegren is a #4/5 guy long term and the 1st rounder is a depth guy or bust long term, this is a very nice deal for Toronto.
There are things called risk and uncertainty. I know the blue posters on this website absolutely refuse to believe they should have to face either of those boogeyman, but them’s just the facts, jack. Like a couple possible uppercuts that may never be thrown.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
IF Kings were looking to rebuild and wanted a winger for doughty than their is a small chance number 1 D normally you try and obtain a Number 1 C at a little younger age

Nylander + 1st + High end blue chip prospect is what it would cost probably k.k / Lil G

Or

Kadri , 1st + high end prospect
A package like that would have to be a sign and trade at a manageable cap it.
I can't think of a time when a package like Nylander + Kapanen + 1st has been traded for 1 player, nevermind a pending UFA.

Reactions: Menzinger

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
He won't come to Toronto if he wants to win a cup. He'll go to a contender for a lower cap hit.

Regardless of where Doughty signs if anyone thinks that he will sign a deal with any discount or lower cap hit is just kidding themselves. He will get paid and will be top 2 paid defenseman in the league and he is worth every penny.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he makes F/A ,I think he may ,I have no doubt Toronto will right on the top of his list....Big city,good young team and money is no object

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
1 of Nylander or Marner with some big pluses on top, like Liljegren or the 2018 1st and possibly even more.

The guy is unquestionably a top 3 d in the game and those don't come cheap

Jan 21, 2018
Anyone who thinks the Kings will get a signed Nylander or ELC Marner+ his rights for ONE YEAR of Doughty is high.

If they can get that or even better, I would tell them to take it because I sure as hell wouldn't give up those sorts of players for ONE YEAR of Doughty.

Maybe if they sign Tavares, Doughty is back on, but right now it looks like Doughty is as good as gone.

Serious question, if he gets traded to the Leafs without an extension, what happens to Doughty after ONE YEAR?

Wait, I finally understand, he decides to take up basketball and joins the Raptors instead.

"LOWRY...TO DEROZAN...ALLEY OOP TO DOUGHTY!!!!"

Seriously do you actually think the Kings will trade Doughty without getting Nylander/Marner in return?

Which means if the Leafs are giving up Nylander/Marner as the main piece to acquire him, they will have assurances that Doughty will re-sign with them. There is no scenario where the Leafs acquire Doughty and he leaves after ONE YEAR

So to make it even simpler for you to understand, IF the leafs acquire Doughty via trade, he will have an extension and thus Toronto will be giving up at least one of their core pieces to acquire him.

The more likely route is the Leafs hold onto their pieces and hope Doughty decides to join them as a FA.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Didn't Doughty say he likes LA as he can walk around without getting pestered while in Toronto he can't go outside pretty much without getting approached by fans?

I could see him moving to another less hockey crazed city IF he leaves LA.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
what most of you don't seem to understand is Drew Doughty has complete control over his future, the Kings have little say in what Doughty wants to do, unless he decides to ride out his career there

if he wants to go to toronto he'll make it happen, either via trade or FA

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Serious question, if he gets traded to the Leafs without an extension, what happens to Doughty after ONE YEAR?

Wait, I finally understand, he decides to take up basketball and joins the Raptors instead.

"LOWRY...TO DEROZAN...ALLEY OOP TO DOUGHTY!!!!"

Seriously do you actually think the Kings will trade Doughty without getting Nylander/Marner in return?

Which means if the Leafs are giving up Nylander/Marner as the main piece to acquire him, they will have assurances that Doughty will re-sign with them. There is no scenario where the Leafs acquire Doughty and he leaves after ONE YEAR

So to make it even simpler for you to understand, IF the leafs acquire Doughty via trade, he will have an extension and thus Toronto will be giving up at least one of their core pieces to acquire him.

The more likely route is the Leafs hold onto their pieces and hope Doughty decides to join them as a FA.
More likely he never wears the Blue and White.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad