Value of: Doughty to Toronto

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Doughty is on the record as saying something along the lines of "I'd love to stay an LA King but I'd like to win a cup more". Team is stagnating, needs a rebuild, and was just swept while putting up 3 total goals in the entire series.

What does it take to get Doughty (UFA 2019) to Toronto? (edit - 2nd question added...) What does it take to get Doughty to Toronto with a long term extension?

Matthews and Rielly are off the table. Matthews is untouchable and what we are really looking for with this trade is Rielly AND Doughty on our blueline going forward.

Everybody else could potentially be available. Just IMO but I believe IF we move a young stud here, IF, Nylander would be moreso available than Marner due to the cap difference between them next year, and Doughty's big cap hit.

Reactions: bchuck

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He won't come to Toronto if he wants to win a cup. He'll go to a contender for a lower cap hit.
How is Toronto not a contender with...

C - Matthews + Kadri
W - Marleau + Hyman
D - Doughty + Rielly
G - Andersen

as well as
two/all of Nylander Marner Brown
one/both of Gardiner Zaitsev
one/both of Dermott Kapanen

???

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Doughty coming to Toronto is a UFA possibility unlikely via trade.

I would give him 7 year 70 million.

He's worth it and make Leafs a serious contender.

Reactions: robertmac43

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ask yourself how they aren't a contender when they are out in the 1st round by next week.

They aren't a contender, because they lack a Top pairing RHD... the right hand side of the D isn't very good.... and that's about it... and some maturity.

and Doughty is a what... oh ya... Top pairing RHD.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
How is Toronto not a contender with...

C - Matthews + Kadri
W - Marleau + Hyman
D - Doughty + Rielly
G - Andersen

as well as
two/all of Nylander Marner Brown
one/both of Gardiner Zaitsev
one/both of Dermott Kapanen

???

Lol that’s really not that good

Bigboi123

Apr 15, 2018
Kitchener ON
They aren't a contender, because they lack a Top pairing RHD... the right hand side of the D isn't very good.... and that's about it... and some maturity.

and Doughty is a what... oh ya... Top pairing RHD.

Do top pairing D usually have more suspensions than points in a series?

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
They would want a young, high upside RHD to replace him so the only teams I see as a match are BOS (Carlo++), COL (Makar) and TBL (Foote+). Those three will probably also be in on Karlsson, so the loser will still get a pretty good consolation prize.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Matthews or Rielly++ you can’t have untouchables asking for the best Dman in the league.
You do not get elite players in return for guys on one year deals, regardless of how amazing the guy on the one year deal is. It's just how the NHL works.

Maybe with a long term contract extension trading Rielly makes sense, but we would rather have Rielly than Doughty long term I think (age, cap, locker room, team identity). Having both is ideal.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Matthews or Rielly++ you can’t have untouchables asking for the best Dman in the league.

I'm not sure that Rielly is the right ask for you. Dermott or Liljegren might be the better asset to get back for LA. If you are trading away Doughty, to me it implies rebuild, and futures more so, and while 24 isn't old... at the start of a 4-5 year rebuild I'd aim younger. Matthews wouldn't be on the table, that's just reality. I appreciate who Doughty is, but you aren't going to gut a team, just to get a trade done. Maybe it would start with a Nylander level guy, a Dermott or Lily, and 2018 1st

Bigboi123

Apr 15, 2018
Kitchener ON
Joined... Monday, obviously to troll. This statement is just beyond ridiculous.

Joined 2007 and still can't spot a sarcastic comment

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown

Rielly - Doughty
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott- Liljegren

Andersen

Uh ya I would say that's pretty good.

How are you keeping all of Matthews, Nylander & Rielly with Doughty on roster? Adding him as a free agent?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Extended....Nylander, Liljegren, Kapanen, and a first. No extension, take out Kapanen or the first.

Problem with this one, is you have traded away two of our roster Right Wingers... We've got a number of LW prospects, or young guys who aren't far off Kap's value.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

He has 1 year left.

1 year of anyone in the NHL isn't worth that, if we were moving those sorts of packages I'd just look for young assets coming back, not a guy we could sign anyways in a year.

A much more realistic trade would be Kapanen, Liljegren and a 1st, although I doubt Kings do it, but I also doubt they'd get significantly more.

People VASTLY overrate what 1 year of any player is worth, even the best in the world.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Extended....Nylander, Liljegren, Kapanen, and a first. No extension, take out Kapanen or the first.
Hell no to the non extension offer.

The extension offer...

That's pretty devastating if Liljegren develops into a top pairing RHD. Or if the Kings really hit on that 1st rounder. Absolutely crushing if both happen. Not sure that Lou will pay that price due to the risk factor.

On the other hand, if Liljegren is a #4/5 guy long term and the 1st rounder is a depth guy or bust long term, this is a very nice deal for Toronto.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

The value is fine, but there's no chance Leafs do it, despite the fact that it might even be in their favor.

I'd take Nylander on his ELC, Lilly on his ELC for 3 over Doughty for a year and no it's not a value thing, if you said that the world gets nuked if the Leafs don't win the cup in the next year, it makes sense, but if we're planning on existing past this year I don't see any way that Doughty for a year makes us better long term.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
The value is fine, but there's no chance Leafs do it, despite the fact that it might even be in their favor.

I'd take Nylander on his ELC, Lilly on his ELC for 3 over Doughty for a year and no it's not a value thing, if you said that the world gets nuked if the Leafs don't win the cup in the next year, it makes sense, but if we're planning on existing past this year I don't see any way that Doughty for a year makes us better long term.
Nylander's ELC is over.

Matthews Marner Kapanen have one more year on their ELCs. Dermott has 2 more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad