Confirmed Signing with Link: Doughty re-signs with Kings (8 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Well considering franchise/generational #1 dman are valued higher than a 1C, yes I’d turn it down. Especially since we also have Kopitar .

Matthews isn't just an ordinary 1C. You should know this more than anyone after watching him repeatedly school your team's generational D.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Matthews isn't just an ordinary 1C. You should know this more than anyone after watching him repeatedly school your team's generational D.

Lolllll ! It’s just 1 game bro it happens. Matthews is definitely special . He’s going to be an elite star for a long time and Leafs are blessed to have him , but cmon get real. That’s like saying if Matthews has a bad game and a certain player schools him and I rub it in your face . Cmon how old are u ? Lol

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Lolllll ! It’s just 1 game bro it happens. Matthews is definitely special . He’s going to be an elite star for a long time and Leafs are blessed to have him , but cmon get real. That’s like saying if Matthews has a bad game and a certain player schools him and I rub it in your face . Cmon how old are u ? Lol

Just saying that you're severely downplaying his talent by just calling him a 1C. He's a franchise 1C at the least, and those are basically equal to franchise 1D's. Due to Doughty's age, it'd be insane to try to say he's more valuable than someone like Matthews.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Just saying that you're severely downplaying his talent by just calling him a 1C. He's a franchise 1C at the least, and those are basically equal to franchise 1D's. Due to Doughty's age, it'd be insane to try to say he's more valuable than someone like Matthews.

Oh he’s definitely a franchise 1C , I never said he wasn’t . He sure is and is the 2nd best player in the league right now . He’s amazing but again franchise 1 Dman are valued higher than a franchise 1 C. That’s always been the M.O of the league

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Oh he’s definitely a franchise 1C , I never said he wasn’t . He sure is and is the 2nd best player in the league right now . He’s amazing but again franchise 1 Dman are valued higher than a franchise 1 C. That’s always been the M.O of the league
Even if you think franchise D-men have more value than franchise Cs in general, Matthews still has way more value than Doughty because he's almost 8 years younger.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Even if you think franchise D-men have more value than franchise Cs in general, Matthews still has way more value than Doughty because he's almost 8 years younger.

This is one of those instances where age don’t matter . Doughty is a player that will perform and defend at an elite level until his 40s like Lidstrom , Bourque , Blake and everyone before him. Doughty is special too anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know much about hockey . And again dmen are valued higher . Always has been . It’s a harder position to get .

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
This is one of those instances where age don’t matter . Doughty is a player that will perform and defend at an elite level until his 40s like Lidstrom , Bourque , Blake and everyone before him. Doughty is special too anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know much about hockey . And again dmen are valued higher . Always has been . It’s a harder position to get .
There's as much of a chance that Doughty only has 5 more years of being elite than the 11+ years you're suggesting. He's a crazy athlete but if it's true that he doesn't train hard in the offseason then he might slow down faster. Would rather have 10+ years of Matthews being a consistent top 2-6 C that scores 40+ goals and 80 + points C with a few 50+ G and 100 + point seasons or 5 years with a small chance for 10 of Doughty being a a top 2-6 D with a

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
'depends on what you call Generational. TO me its someone who is one of the top 5 dmen throughout his career. Doughty sure has been one of the top 3 dmen in the last 10 years. SO id definitly say generational. Stanley cup x 2, norris, olympic gold. etc. Generational talent on D.

Doughty and Karlsson are the best two D from anyone drafted between 2005-2016.

Crosby Ovechkin Malkin from 2004 to 2014...Stamkos woulda have been close to it had he not gotten injured twice. and those doubting Stamkos. look at his stats from his 1st 3 seasons and comapre them to what matthews the god is doing now.

P.S. Forgot Yakupov

Being a top 5 defenseman through your career isn't generational. You need to be the best and not only the best but the best by a good amount to be generational. Its all about dominance. He is a great defenseman but not generational good.

Well of our generation I consider him the best dman so to me he is generational. His numbers would have been higher in another system but the guy is elite , franchise dman and The best in the world at his position and we are blessed to have him .

He isn't generational. He needs to be clearly the best and by a good amount. 1 Norris Trophy that he won from a year that Karlsson had a historic producing season doesn't come close to being good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad