Confirmed Signing with Link: Doughty re-signs with Kings (8 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I wouldn’t trade Doughty strate up for anyone on the Leafs . They don’t even come close to being worth what Doughty is ; a generational defenseman who has won multiple Olympic golds , Multiple Cups , Norris and everything else you can think of . Memorial cup etc... .

They can’t even hold his jock when it comes to value . f*** Leafs

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I wouldn’t trade Doughty strate up for anyone on the Leafs . They don’t even come close to being worth what Doughty is ; a generational defenseman who has won multiple Olympic golds , Multiple Cups , Norris and everything else you can think of . Memorial cup etc... .

They can’t even hold his jock when it comes to value . **** Leafs

Doughty is a great defenseman but he isn't generational good.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
Love doughty as a player

Trouble is, that players in the league just have NEVER faced an offence like the leafs have this season.

If a team puts a doughty type guy out to shut down Matthews, Matthews still gets 2 or 3 points, and it allows elite players like Tavares and Marner to take the rest of the other team to school.

If a team tries to shut down Tavares and Marner, they each put up points and it allows Matthews to absolutely destroy the rest of the others teams players

An offence like the leafs have is impossible to stop. And that’s not even taking in to account the powerplay, that looks like it could break records

It’s not doughty’s fault he was at a disadvantage playing against superior players like Matthews and Tavares. Doughty can’t do it all himself

The leafs model actually quite closely emulates the Pittsburgh Penguins. Two elite centers, a couple top tier wingers and decent offensive defencemen.

I would not say this has not been experienced before in the NHL. Even the penguin's Powerplay was as explosive as the leaf's is.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Love doughty as a player

Trouble is, that players in the league just have NEVER faced an offence like the leafs have this season.

If a team puts a doughty type guy out to shut down Matthews, Matthews still gets 2 or 3 points, and it allows elite players like Tavares and Marner to take the rest of the other team to school.

If a team tries to shut down Tavares and Marner, they each put up points and it allows Matthews to absolutely destroy the rest of the others teams players

An offence like the leafs have is impossible to stop. And that’s not even taking in to account the powerplay, that looks like it could break records

It’s not doughty’s fault he was at a disadvantage playing against superior players like Matthews and Tavares. Doughty can’t do it all himself

Kings faced an offense practically on the Leafs level the game before and got beat much harder by that team that already beat the Leafs and their unprecedented offense this year lmao

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Doughty is a great defenseman but he isn't generational good.
'depends on what you call Generational. TO me its someone who is one of the top 5 dmen throughout his career. Doughty sure has been one of the top 3 dmen in the last 10 years. SO id definitly say generational. Stanley cup x 2, norris, olympic gold. etc. Generational talent on D.

Doughty and Karlsson are the best two D from anyone drafted between 2005-2016.

Crosby Ovechkin Malkin from 2004 to 2014...Stamkos woulda have been close to it had he not gotten injured twice. and those doubting Stamkos. look at his stats from his 1st 3 seasons and comapre them to what matthews the god is doing now.

P.S. Forgot Yakupov

Reactions: Stumbling Jack

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Doughty has been great, but that contract is already starting to look scary. It would be a no-brainer to trade him for Matthews (who is 7 years younger). Toronto wouldn't even take your call.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Drew got absolutely DESTROYED by his boyhood team last night. I actually felt bad

I agree with you, he made a couple of big mistakes that led to Leaf goals. These things happen. I'm not picking on Doughty in particular, but signing these guys in their late twenties to eight year contracts seem rather cap dangerous to me.
Next year 11m a year. OEL is another contacts I question. 8.5m to the age of 35.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto

Lmao. You really don't understand player value. Matthew's is worth more than Doughty, and Doughty is my favourite defenceman. It's simple. Matthew's is younger, and a top 5 center in the league. Doesnt mean the value is way off but hes more valuable. Also depends on what your team needs, but to say "they cant even hold his jock when it comes to value" is silly, or stupid or idiotic or all 3.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Drew got absolutely DESTROYED by his boyhood team last night. I actually felt bad

IMagine doughty on the leafs. If Morgan Rielly gets 50-70 points this season Doughty would absolutely tear it up playing on that PP. Good lord.

If he would have signed in toronto this summer they could have their two top lines Doughty and 5 rookies on D and theyd still win 80% of their games. Even with Allan Bester in net.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
'depends on what you call Generational. TO me its someone who is one of the top 5 dmen throughout his career. Doughty sure has been one of the top 3 dmen in the last 10 years. SO id definitly say generational. Stanley cup x 2, norris, olympic gold. etc. Generational talent on D.

Doughty and Karlsson are the best two D from anyone drafted between 2005-2016.

Crosby Ovechkin Malkin from 2004 to 2014...Stamkos woulda have been close to it had he not gotten injured twice. and those doubting Stamkos. look at his stats from his 1st 3 seasons and comapre them to what matthews the god is doing now.

P.S. Forgot Yakupov

Your missing the point of what generational means. "A once in a generation talent". Gretzky and Orr were generational. That means no one else was close. If McJesus scores his 3rd straight scoring title, he might start the path into that conversation. But being as good as 5 other guys is not generational. It's just all star level talent.

Your post is all over the place. You mention 5-8 players that you think are the best player of their generation. That just cheapens the term.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I agree with you, he made a couple of big mistakes that led to Leaf goals. These things happen. I'm not picking on Doughty in particular, but signing these guys in their late twenties to eight year contracts seem rather cap dangerous to me.
Next year 11m a year. OEL is another contacts I question. 8.5m to the age of 35.

And how do you feel about Tavares at $11M to age 34?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

You might not but that GM of yours would trade Doughty for Matthews in an instant. You'd be tarred and feathered if you turned down that trade.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's just not him; it's everyone from the players to the coaching staff. The players have no clue what's going on, first thing first fire the coaching staff and then trade the complacent players

This is what I was afraid of when Stevens was promoted. He's been with the team so long that the players are comfortable around him and know where they stand with him. That promotes complacency. Players who are his favorites don't need to try to impress him and those in his doghouse know that it's pointless. Blake should've hired a new coach from outside of the organization, someone who all of the players would want to impress and be afraid of disappointing. Not doing so was a big mistake.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
And how do you feel about Tavares at $11M to age 34?

I get all this enthusiasm about Tavares on the team now...and for a few more years, but I'm wondering if he is going to 11m effective in years 5/6/7 of his contract.
One good thing for possible longevity is Tavares didn't have many miles put on him due to the lack of playoff appearance the Isles had.
We can a more objective view of his contract in 2025. (and Doughty' and OEL's)

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i just want to keep bumping this to first page and feed leafs fans with comments
they look so hungry, actually they must be starving for a cup

so come on guys, keep em coming

let's talk about Doughty's board play... oh he sure sucks around the boards doesn't he?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
yes...great comment coming from a fan base is 6-1 at the start of season and think they have won everything...they have won nothing..zero! Just like Nylander ...AM and MM will want thier money ... discounts are dead...and to add Doughty has won 2 golds, 2 cups, norris BEFORE he signed for $11m ...AM and MM will have won, a calder trophy between the two of them ...so please think before you puff your chest out

I made no comment about the Leafs being better.

The point is: He came here and said he may consider signing with us. He also said that he wanted to win more Cups.
Then he said it was just a ploy to gets the Kings to pony up.

I believe the Kings window is closing, with that, I say it was never about winning more, just the money.
I don't like being used, but its the nature of the game.

If you want to talk about the Leafs-there's a board for that.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Kings faced an offense practically on the Leafs level the game before and got beat much harder by that team that already beat the Leafs and their unprecedented offense this year lmao

I thought they didn't play well in the Sens game. They played better against us, and I still don't consider the Sens a huge offensive team.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
i just want to keep bumping this to first page and feed leafs fans with comments
they look so hungry, actually they must be starving for a cup

so come on guys, keep em coming

let's talk about Doughty's board play... oh he sure sucks around the boards doesn't he?

Come on dude this was bumped by a Sens fan. I hope you realize how salty this post reads after last night.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I'd say right now Doughty is more valuable than any Leaf except Matthews.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
You might not but that GM of yours would trade Doughty for Matthews in an instant. You'd be tarred and feathered if you turned down that trade.

I highly doubt he would considering franchise/generational #1 dman are valued higher than a 1C. Especially since we also have Kopitar .

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

I can’t stand the Leafs but you wouldn’t trade him for Matthews?

If you were LA’s GM, and you turned that down, you’d be run out of town.

Reactions: SteadyFreddie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad