Doug Wilson speaks on taking C from Joe: Joe tells DW to "Shut his mouth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
All these comments about feelings being hurt make me think the supporting cast are a bunch of babies.

That's not really out of the realm of possibility especially with the youth that has been incorporated the last couple years. Most of the kids are still developing maturity as they go along.

And Thornton does have a strong personality by all accounts. That's a legitimate concern to have. I don't know that DW handled it correctly but I understand that your issue is certainly plausible and DW's take on it is certainly plausible as well. I don't think talking about it does any good though.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I am hopeful for what DW does at the draft and with teams up against the cap.
I think the season has gone as projected, except Niemi is still here and Stalock didn't grab his chance.
DW assembled a cup worthy team, but they didn't get it done. It is mainly on the players that they didn't get it done.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I don't think DW comments about Thornton make Joe look bad. It makes Joe look more human.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think DW comments about Thornton make Joe look bad. It makes Joe look more human.

Nobody with pride wants to hear that something was getting to them in a public forum.

And I don't agree that he put together a Cup worthy team. If he did, they would've won a Cup. Any time you blame the players, you must blame the GM as well if you're going to be fair about it. He puts the team together. He shares in their failures...that is unless you talk to DW obviously. lol

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks...n-his-players-performance-as-well-as-his-own/

You all missed Pollak's WTC with other notes.

Were any STH's from here at the Ice Insights? There was something Pollak said about Wilson not wanting certain things to leave the room?!?!

Yes. There were a number of things (like NHL call to apologize, some specific stats, and a few other things), that DW explicitly said that Pollak would not be allowed to repeat in his writings.

I have not yet read Pollak's write ups.

Things I took from the Ice Insights:

• Team is looking at adding 4+ goalies to organization depth this summer.
  • Plan on using all their draft picks this year to bulk up the organization
  • There were NO guaranteed options THIS YEAR that trading a first would ensure the Sharks would make the playoffs (and go deep)
  • The summer UFA market is often not worth participating in (many are guys not wanted to be re-signed by their old teams)
  • No apologies for signing John Scott. If the league won't protect the "kids", he'll make sure they are.
  • Trading/moving the guys they did ... never confuse the player with the person (love the story about his neighbor, Nabby's wife he shared, giving him the finger every time she jogged by after not re-signing him; and the hugs)
  • He tried to move the guys to places they would succeed and/or have a chance to re-sign
  • NYI was only team to be interested in Kennedy (reduced value due to injuries). But agent appreciated and may have a couple of undrafted free agents he'll persuade to sign with the Sharks.
May have more comments after I read Pollak's write up.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
I think DW has made far too many mistakes in his tenure to warrant any confidence. He has issues building depth. He's had draft issues that has only recently been changed but is inconclusive at this point. His player relationships are now in question with the way he's handled the leadership issues and Jumbo in particular. There are too many issues with DW and now the late round gems may be drying up that was in his favor for quite some time.

After failing to put together a Cup-winning team in 12 years, he doesn't deserve the opportunity to rebuild the team imo.

You might want to reread that.

You really missed my joke? I was just messing with you and your Marleau bad luck line. At the highest level, anything can be boiled down to "luck". Trades, Drafting, Games, Seeding, Player Performance, etc

Anyways, it is interesting that DW gave the Thornton details. He's definitely stirring the pot. I'd need to see a transcript to see the context, but maybe the "give other leaders a chance to step up" line wasn't going over well in that QA session?

So nobody knows anyone who was there?? Speak up people!

EDIT: Just saw your post LS. Thanks, do share all you can!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks...n-his-players-performance-as-well-as-his-own/

You all missed Pollak's WTC with other notes.

Yes. There were a number of things (like NHL call to apologize, some specific stats, and a few other things), that DW explicitly said that Pollak would not be allowed to repeat in his writings.

I have not yet read Pollak's write ups.

Things I took from the Ice Insights:

• Team is looking at adding 4+ goalies to organization depth this summer.
  • Plan on using all their draft picks this year to bulk up the organization
  • There were NO guaranteed options THIS YEAR that trading a first would ensure the Sharks would make the playoffs (and go deep)
  • The summer UFA market is often not worth participating in (many are guys not wanted to be re-signed by their old teams)
  • No apologies for signing John Scott. If the league won't protect the "kids", he'll make sure they are.
  • Trading/moving the guys they did ... never confuse the player with the person (love the story about his neighbor, Nabby's wife he shared, giving him the finger every time she jogged by after not re-signing him; and the hugs)
  • He tried to move the guys to places they would succeed and/or have a chance to re-sign
  • NYI was only team to be interested in Kennedy (reduced value due to injuries). But agent appreciated and may have a couple of undrafted free agents he'll persuade to sign with the Sharks.
May have more comments after I read Pollak's write up.

If this in general doesn't convince people that Wilson is shrewd and smart I dunno what to say. I'm not saying he's the best gm in the world, but we could do a lot worse.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
From the transcript:

Q: What did you learn from last spring’s playoff loss to the Los Angeles Kings?

“I don’t think I could be any more brutally honest than I was this summer. I will never make a negative comment about a player, I’ll talk about our team because in our sport, the teams win. What I said this summer — and this came from our players is ‘co-workers over teammates.’ It’s a very damning comment.

“It’s not about the individual, it’s about the attitude you have. I think our group has actually taken ownership of it. I’ve seen some things in the last little while in particular. . . . .Sometimes you have to really hit rock bottom to truly get by the denial.

“Man up. Crap happens. We beat ourselves in the LA series, right? So learn from it. The guys that learn from it will get calloused and tougher and go forward.”
---------------------
So he obviously doesn't consider talking about the Thornton lashing out to be a "negative comment about a player." It was just part of a more forthcoming discussion with those people. Better for Thornton and better for the team.

EDIT: I guess Thornton didn't take it that way. LOL!!!

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If this in general doesn't convince people that Wilson is shrewd and smart I dunno what to say. I'm not saying he's the best gm in the world, but we could do a lot worse.

Smart, certainly. Right man for the job? I don't think so. We can definitely do worse but I think they can do better too but only when Plattner is ready to proceed with bringing in a new manager. He needs to be able to understand what he needs for this franchise to take the steps he wants it to take and possibly bring in resources to help him get that information that is outside DW's circle.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thornton: "Doug needs to shut his mouth."

Woohoo. The rift is real.

I wish this were legit enough to make something happen. I may not like Jumbo and he certainly has blame to take for his performance in the playoffs but he's not entirely to blame nor should he be scapegoated for it. This happened before with Marleau and it doesn't help matters but that's what DW has done.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
From the transcript, talking about Marleau:

“I also understand though when you earn big contracts and you’ve got a high profile, you’ve got to take the bullet and Patty would be the first to say he’s never been minus-15 before and that’s a struggle. You own that, admit that. But Patty Marleau, when we talked this summer, wants to be part of it. This transition hopefully will be a quick transition."
----------------
Sounds like it will be a lighter rebuild because PM and JT want to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad