Doug Wilson speaks on taking C from Joe: Joe tells DW to "Shut his mouth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
My favorite quote:

We still have a chance -- probably I'm surprised we have a chance, but if we can get on a roll and play the way we have the last four games, we have a chance to make the playoffs. We put ourselves in that position."

Ninja Hertl

formerly sharkohol
Feb 25, 2006
The Yay
Kind of destroys the narrative about Thornton not caring. Lashing out at other teammates indicates passion. Mainstream media will ignore that, though.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
He has actually done what he said he would so I feel like we should give him more time. It's hard to make a big impact in a short amount of time and hopefully he's going to limit stupid risks like taking McGinn for a 3rd. I have confidence in him and if he can make good moves at the draft, I think the sharks could actually be in a really good position.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He has actually done what he said he would so I feel like we should give him more time. It's hard to make a big impact in a short amount of time and hopefully he's going to limit stupid risks like taking McGinn for a 3rd. I have confidence in him and if he can make good moves at the draft, I think the sharks could actually be in a really good position.

I think DW has made far too many mistakes in his tenure to warrant any confidence. He has issues building depth. He's had draft issues that has only recently been changed but is inconclusive at this point. His player relationships are now in question with the way he's handled the leadership issues and Jumbo in particular. There are too many issues with DW and now the late round gems may be drying up that was in his favor for quite some time.

After failing to put together a Cup-winning team in 12 years, he doesn't deserve the opportunity to rebuild the team imo.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I don't understand how you plan to miss the playoffs, which he pretty much admitted. Should have been tanking if that was the plan

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
A 3rd liner and a 4th liner doesn't exactly qualify as "great" signings.

Those were great signings. We got them for nothing on cost controlled 2W contracts and they have become mainstays on the team. For a team with a hard time attracting FA's, these depth kid signings are very important.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Did some other GM sign a top 6 undrafted FA last year? I must have missed that. Did they sign any undrafted FA's that have as good of stats as Melker?

Only other UDFA from the CHL to make the team out of camp was Washington's Liam O'Brien and he was sent down shortly after. We hit it out of the park with our FA signings.

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
I think DW has made far too many mistakes in his tenure to warrant any confidence. He has issues building depth. He's had draft issues that has only recently been changed but is inconclusive at this point. His player relationships are now in question with the way he's handled the leadership issues and Jumbo in particular. There are too many issues with DW and now the late round gems may be drying up that was in his favor for quite some time.

After failing to put together a Cup-winning team in 12 years, he doesn't deserve the opportunity to rebuild the team imo.

After putting together a team that has stayed this competitive for this long, I believe he does deserve the chance to refresh this roster.

I think a lot of people joke that DW has no plan because they expect to see him fully commit to a rebuild or fully commit to going for it. I have to agree with the previous poster that he's been true to his word.

A few years ago when this team bowed out to STL in 5 games this looked like an aging declining team that was headed for a rebuild, but he refreshed that group well, so I'd like to see where he's going with this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't understand how you plan to miss the playoffs, which he pretty much admitted. Should have been tanking if that was the plan

I admit I haven't read the article yet, but did he really actually say this?

If so, then I think he might be safe if there's no playoffs this year.

I've had the feeling that he may have answered to his higher ups (Hasso) that they may in fact not make the playoffs this season, and that Hasso might have been alright with this plan.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
A few years ago when this team bowed out to STL in 5 games this looked like an aging declining team that was headed for a rebuild, but he refreshed that group well, so I'd like to see where he's going with this.

I've had the feeling that he may have answered to his higher ups (Hasso) that they may in fact not make the playoffs this season, and that Hasso might have been alright with this plan.

It will be fascinating. Once I move beyond the "punishment" instinct I have for Wilson squandering so many draft picks and prospects on "missing pieces" that didn't pan out, I then check around the league for replacement GMs and think "Uh... no thank you."

With the AHL team moving into SJ Arena I think this actually gives Wilson a major rebuild advantage. Although I'd like to see Sommer replaced, I think a lot of Wilson prospects will develop quickly either way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
After putting together a team that has stayed this competitive for this long, I believe he does deserve the chance to refresh this roster.

I think a lot of people joke that DW has no plan because they expect to see him fully commit to a rebuild or fully commit to going for it. I have to agree with the previous poster that he's been true to his word.

Except putting a competitive team together for this long wasn't the goal. Winning the Cup was and he failed for the same reasons...depth at key areas were lacking. Sure, he's been true to his word with putting more youth in the lineup but so what? At best, he'll get this team back to where it was and run into the same depth issues and he still won't have an answer for it.

Those few years ago, it was his team that he put together that failed and was declining and it got that way and got that way fast because he made moves that were panic moves that shortened their window, made them slower, and forced his hand at that point. If it weren't for beneficial matchups, they would've suffered a worse fate earlier. When they ran into a bad matchup, they got slaughtered because they were ill-prepared for it due to personnel decisions.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Except putting a competitive team together for this long wasn't the goal. Winning the Cup was and he failed for the same reasons...depth at key areas were lacking. Sure, he's been true to his word with putting more youth in the lineup but so what? At best, he'll get this team back to where it was and run into the same depth issues and he still won't have an answer for it.

Those few years ago, it was his team that he put together that failed and was declining and it got that way and got that way fast because he made moves that were panic moves that shortened their window, made them slower, and forced his hand at that point. If it weren't for beneficial matchups, they would've suffered a worse fate earlier. When they ran into a bad matchup, they got slaughtered because they were ill-prepared for it due to personnel decisions.

Yes. But... maybe by having nothing to lose now, he fleeces some of his competitors on a few good deals. I'd certainly like to see what DW does later this summer -- as Sharks GM -- when bargain hunting with other GMs pressured by cap compliance.

If DW's summer is a disaster? Plattner can dump him mid-season.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Everything Wilson says makes me like Jumbo more and dislike Wilson more. So I guess mission accomplished if that was his goal.

Jumbo is certainly justified if he feels like Wilson's acquisitions failed to support Jumbo's Cup aspirations. Those 3rd and 4th liners were garbage. But Jumbo had some issues himself.

Bottom line: it's a business and the next move is the future. Wilson should be given this summer to make some moves. Plattner can judge them later next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad