Dorion to get contract extension as per Bruce Garrioch

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty much. In the press release Melnyk already said "pain with an endgame in sight."

That quote definitely worries me. I think we can be right back at it next year with some retooling. But it sounds like Melnyk may want to blow it up

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That quote definitely worries me. I think we can be right back at it next year with some retooling. But it sounds like Melnyk may want to blow it up

In fairness, the full quote reads:

"Rest assured, we will only tolerate pain with an endgame in mind: building an organization that wins - at all levels - year in and year out."

... like, still not super inspiring or anything, but it is certainly less ominous than the edited version. Still suggests that a rebuild is potentially in the cards, I guess...

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
How much should we read into the bit about a "renewed commitment to scouting, drafting and development". That could be the standard press release nonsense, or it could suggest that perhaps a rebuild is in the cards.

Dorion and Melnyk recently met in Barbados to plan the long-term direction of the team. Let's say that - hypothetically - they decided a rebuild was in fact needed, that could explain Dorion's extension. He would probably want some security to pursue that vision over the next few years.

It's all very curious.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
"Today's announcement reflects a renewed commitment to scouting, drafting and development. It may require changes to our lineup. Rest assured, we will only tolerate pain with an endgame in mind: building an organization that wins - at all levels - year in and year out."

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE f***ING KIDDING ME

Are the Ottawa Senators a parody account?

Where is Ashton, I'm assuming we are being Punk'd

I mean, is this not the team that has traded 3/4 of it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from 2016-2019 is it?

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
In fairness, the full quote reads:

"Rest assured, we will only tolerate pain with an endgame in mind: building an organization that wins - at all levels - year in and year out."

... like, still not super inspiring or anything, but it is certainly less ominous than the edited version. Still suggests that a rebuild is potentially in the cards, I guess...

Yeah, I did see the whole quote, just quoted that post because it was relevant.
McKenzie's comments this week made it sound like they wouldn't be going for a full rebuild, so hopefully things havent changed drastically or anything..

However if this is true:

Dorion and Melnyk recently met in Barbados to plan the long-term direction of the team. Let's say that - hypothetically - they decided a rebuild was in fact needed, that could explain Dorion's extension. He would probably want some security to pursue that vision over the next few years.

then that is also worrying

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
"Today's announcement reflects a renewed commitment to scouting, drafting and development. It may require changes to our lineup. Rest assured, we will only tolerate pain with an endgame in mind: building an organization that wins - at all levels - year in and year out."

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ****ING KIDDING ME

I mean, is this not the team that has traded 3/4 of it's 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from 2016-2019 is it?

I bet the new PR firm from Toronto wrote that... and hey it sounds pretty good. Until you remember that we already traded two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks in the last 18 months...

But scouting and drafting!

Reactions: Emerica and Cosmix

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I don't mind Dorian that much. Maybe his salary is really low and saves Melnyk money. Atleast we are not stuck with Chiarelli. Team can be good and bad based on psychology and momentum. Nobody expected the Bruins to be this good this year and they made few roster moves from last season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I bet the new PR firm from Toronto wrote that... and hey it sounds pretty good. Until you remember that we already traded two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks in the last 18 months...

But scouting and drafting!
It's actually astonishing.

Coannpt wrap my head around it, this is actually a shit show of massive proportions.

Honestly, it's entertaining. At least the Sens are still filling that entertainment void.

Melnyk had his bozo's whip that up after he saw Gorton and Sather take the spotlight yesterday :laugh:

Reactions: Cosmix

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Pretty certain this 'pain' and 'renewed commitment to scouting' is a clear indicator that we will not be committing to mr. karlsson past this season. And based on Karlsson's comments on Turris the past couple days, it's clear he sees the writing on the wall

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
These press releases today are getting progressively more head scratching. I’m mentally prepared for the Boucher extension getting announced tonight

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Dorion is born again with a new mission to take us to the promised land . . Stanley Cup Winner!

Time will tell whether this was a smart move. My bet is it is not.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't mind Dorian that much. Maybe his salary is really low and saves Melnyk money. Atleast we are not stuck with Chiarelli. Team can be good and bad based on psychology and momentum. Nobody expected the Bruins to be this good this year and they made few roster moves from last season.

Agreed, I thought for sure Boston had no choice but to blow it up.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Maybe they are drip feeding us this bad news throughout the day so we are already dead inside for the 10pm Mckenzie “Karlsson Requests Trade” tweet :sarcasm:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Why is his scouting ability worth anything when he trades all our picks away?
I've addressed this in another thread and while trying not to beat a dead horse, this is absolutely not true. He trades drafted players from time to time and the odd pick, similar to any other GM. The numbers show that...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Anybody who thought Dorion wouldn’t be re signed doesn’t really understand the game or the business. And no this doesn’t signal karlsson is going to be traded

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

They were hoping you wouldn't mention that

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Things that Pierre Dorion is good at:
- Drafting
- Amateur scouting
- Player development (especially as it relates to our late round picks)
- hyping things
- being, generally, a pretty decent human being, from all outward appearances
- being from Orleans

Things that Pierre Dorion seem to not be good at:
- Pro Scouting
- being patient about re-signing players in the organization
- being conservative when trying to trade for players he likes
- Assessing players named "Alex Burrows".
- remaining unemotional in press conferences.
- buying good looking suits.

Things we are unsure about Pierre Dorion's skillset:
- How he fares when selling players instead of buying them
- How hard he will fight/ how strategic he will be in an Arbitration case
- How good he is at math.

He's good at being from Orleans... interesting. It does add a point to the good list .. so balances out.

Reactions: BonkTastic

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This about as bad of news as anything we could have gotten out of the Sens at this point. Oh boy, this is gonna be a really painful 3 more years. We're probably looking at being a botton feeder for many years beyond as well. Ouch. Just. Wow.

Reactions: branch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad