Dorion to get contract extension as per Bruce Garrioch

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm in the minority on this forum, in that I am fine with Dorion. I understand, we're not getting an all-star GM in our price range. I don't think there is any guarantee that whoever replaces him will do a better job with the limitations the team has. I also think he was indirectly forced to run a playoff bubble team like a win now monster due to the looming prospect of having to convince Karlsson to re-sign. I'm curious to see how well he does in trades that aren't painted by that brush now that this season is in the toilet, and Karlsson will either be signed or move on.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Melnyk is not well. I want a new owner more than anything but stepping outside that wish for a second...The man just is 2 cans short of a 6 pack. I worry the chaos is a reflection of his mental state.

Reactions: Icelevel

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No Melnyk was and is his boss

GM reports to the President and CEO, President and CEO reports to the owner. That's how a proper organization is structured.

But in our case, Melnyk probably tries to run everything and is an all around idiot and shitty person, so it's no surprise that Anselmi left so fast. Coming from MLSE, I'm sure he didn't want to work in a circus organization.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Listen. Good or bad. Like him or hate him. There’s questions about this extension.

I think this is actually a very fair and rational take on this.

I don't hate Dorion. I don't love the guy obviously (some obviously questionable moves), but he's good at some things, and certainly isn't nearly as incompetent as some here make him out to be.

That said... the timing on this one is weird. Dorion still had 1.5 years left on his contract as GM. Why not wait until the summer, at least?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I like Dorion and I think he can learn from some of what's transpired, but there's no denying he's made some poor moves and he needs to do better going forward. Be more patient with re-signings and since we're on a budget, we can't afford to have role players eat so much of it.

Maybe he shouldn't have re-signed them, but I don't blame him for the goalies taking a shit on our season after they both played so well last year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I like Dorion and I think he can learn from some of what's transpired, but there's no denying he's made some poor moves and he needs to do better going forward. Be more patient with re-signings and since we're on a budget, we can't afford to have role players eat so much of it.
The majority of his moves have been poor.

His standouts are trading for Condon and a rental move for Stalberg. Bravo!

But this is the Sens GM we’re talking about. It comes with the highest job security in the world.

But then again, I wonder much of his job has been impeded by this buffoon owner.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Dorion is being rewarded for agreeing to be the fall guy in the Karlsson trade.

Pretty much. In the press release Melnyk already said "pain with an endgame in sight."

Get ready for a slashed payroll and no Karlsson to go alongside our bare bones management team. Can't wait for the return of Slater Koekkek and Alex Killorn either.

I don't blame Anselmi for getting out.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't mind Dorion as GM am willing to give him more time before I make my judgments but the developments today have me worried about the future direction of the organization.

Reactions: Sensung and Deku

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Not surprising. that is that folk!!! better get used to it now, hes not going anywhere anytime soon. :confused:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The official press release, in case anyone missed it:

The Ottawa Senators (@Senators) announced today that they have signed the team's general manager Pierre Dorion to a three-year contract extension through the 2021-22 season.

"The goal is to win the Stanley Cup," said team owner Eugene Melnyk. "Having come within one goal of last season's Stanley Cup Final, we were hopeful entering this season. Obviously, our results have challenged those expectations. What remains unchanged is the dedication that goes into evaluating every aspect of this organization."

Under Pierre's leadership, the Ottawa Senators will concentrate on building a foundation of sustainable success.

"Today's announcement reflects a renewed commitment to scouting, drafting and development. It may require changes to our lineup. Rest assured, we will only tolerate pain with an endgame in mind: building an organization that wins - at all levels - year in and year out."

Additionally, Tom Anselmi will be vacating his role as President and CEO. We thank Tom for his contributions to the organization and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The majority of his moves have been poor.

His standouts are trading for Condon and a rental move for Stalberg. Bravo!

But this is the Sens GM we’re talking about. It comes with the highest job security in the world.

But then again, I wonder much of his job has been impeded by this buffoon owner.

I don't think he's been that bad but I don't want to derail the thread by debating it too much. Letting Methot go and re-signing Burrows are the only two glaring ones for me. I don't blame him for Andy and Condon forgetting how to play hockey which imo was the main driver to our season turning out like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad