Confirmed with Link: Dorion a finalist for GM of the year

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Him getting nominated doesn't change the fact it was a bad value-for-value deal.

Of course, if we win the Cup none of this will matter.

It will be a great value-for-value deal if Dahlen never makes the NHL. He's a prospect. Nothing is set in stone for his career at this point.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
IIRC did Boucher not play a huge part in the "type of players" that Dorion went out and acquired?

EDIT: Found it.

“It’s easy to say, ‘OK, we need this, we need that’ and give a shopping list but to be able to go fill those holes is extremely difficult. I was quite impressed by what Pierre and his staff did. Now, it’s our turn to make it gel but it’s exciting because the specific (players) we wanted to fill the holes with are there.”

Anyways, congrats to Pierre on the nomination. Says a lot about what his fellow GM's think about him since they are the ones that put forth the nominees.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
How did Dorion get nominated, but Boucher didn't get a coach of the year nom?

Sounds like the GM noms happen during the playoffs and the Jack Adams noms are at the end of the regular season.

At the end of the regular season the Sens got into the playoffs but weren't anything special. Very few experts predicted Ottawa to win round 1.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
The acquisitions this year didn't make a big impact offensively.

What they did do was replace guys that shouldn't be in an NHL lineup (Neil, Lazar).

They fit what we wanted to do on the ice.

The only trade that sucked was Burrows, but mostly becuase we lost Dahlen. if it was Burrows for Gagne or something like that I would have bene happy, but I liked Dahlen a lot and think he's going to be a top 9 player.

Other than that, what did we really lose?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Sounds like the GM noms happen during the playoffs and the Jack Adams noms are at the end of the regular season.

At the end of the regular season the Sens got into the playoffs but weren't anything special. Very few experts predicted Ottawa to win round 1.

Jack Adams curse; lets avoid it :nod:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

Yeah, IMO they are compensating for not recognizing Boucher's success.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I thougth he was the laughing stock by his peer after the trade he made. That's what i was able to read here.

Maybe they are still laughing at him. Maybe that's simply a joke they are doing to him.

:sarcasm:

Congrats Pierre Dorion for a great year of work. He did what he had to do the make us competitive THIS YEAR.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I thougth he was the laughing stock by his peer after the trade he made. That's what i was able to read here.

Maybe they are still laughing at him. Maybe that's simply a joke they are doing to him.

:sarcasm:

Congrats Pierre Dorion for a great year of work. He did what he had to do the make us competitive THIS YEAR.

The trades were so heavily in the other teams favour that the GMs all got together and voted Dorion so he becomes overconfident and continues to be an easy GM to fleece in trades.

#AmIDoingItRight? #SensBurrowsTrade

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have to admit I am not a huge Dorion fan... but

If you look at it his year within a defined window and the success the results within that window .... its not hard to see why he made the short list.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

What they did do was replace guys that shouldn't be in an NHL lineup (Neil, Lazar).

The only trade that sucked was Burrows, but mostly becuase we lost Dahlen. if it was Burrows for Gagne or something like that I would have bene happy, but I liked Dahlen a lot and think he's going to be a top 9 player.

Gagne has top 6 upside and is playing in NA.

Trading Gagne would have been worse.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I have to admit I am not a huge Dorion fan... but

If you look at it his year within a defined window and the success the results within that window .... its not hard to see why he made the short list.

Why aren't you? What is it he's done that makes you not like the direction he's taking the team?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Disagree ... your assessment of Gagne is very generous. No one would have blinked an eye if it was Gagne instead of Dahlen

Funny, because everybody thought super highly of Gagne just a few years ago, even more so than Dahlen. Let's see how people feel about Dahlen in a couple years.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Zibanejad was first in scoring among Rangers forwards these playoffs, and has a higher PPG than Brassard.

You have to consider that we didn't add Brassard without losing anything from our roster. I see little evidence that trading Brassard for Zibanejad has resulted in increased playoff success, given that Zibanejad has produced at a higher rate through both the regular season and the playoffs.

That is true. Those guys have been good defensively, but not a single goal in a combined 28 games is disappointing nonetheless.

Again, I don't see the argument that those guys have significantly influenced our playoff success. They've been good defensively, but haven't scored at all. They haven't hurt us, but they haven't helped us all that much either.

A goal saved is a goal scored. Pyatt and Stalberg are staples to our PK that has been fantastic (4th among all 16 teams, second among teams that made it to the second round - only behind NYR by a fraction of a percentage simply based on the fact that they faced our PP). For comparison sake - our PK% is 15% better than Anaheim's.

But yeah, they haven't helped us.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Funny, because everybody thought super highly of Gagne just a few years ago, even more so than Dahlen. Let's see how people feel about Dahlen in a couple years.

I mean, I feel like I don't have to point the obvious out to yourself, but you do realise that development isn't linear. Anyone who thinks that Gagne was worth more than Dahlen is, being generous, mistaken.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I mean, I feel like I don't have to point the obvious out to yourself, but you do realise that development isn't linear. Anyone who thinks that Gagne was worth more than Dahlen is, being generous, mistaken.

It's not even comparable. That's how much more valuable Dahlen was.

Gagne would have made way more sense.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Really? You like Dahlen alot? Tell me honestly... Like fully honestly... How many games have you watched Dahlen play? Youtube clips don't count. Like actual full games.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Really? You like Dahlen alot? Tell me honestly... Like fully honestly... How many games have you watched Dahlen play? Youtube clips don't count. Like actual full games.

I watched 4-5 full games of Dahlen, ~10 games of Gagne this year and can confirm. You?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00