Confirmed with Link: Dorion a finalist for GM of the year

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-general-manager-of-the-year-award-finalists/c-289467162

In his first season at the helm, Dorion oversaw a Senators team that achieved its second-best regular-season record in the past decade, returned to the Stanley Cup Playoffs after a one-year absence and advanced to the Conference Finals for the first time since 2007. Promoted to General Manager in April 2016 after serving the club as assistant GM, director of player personnel and chief amateur scout, Dorion's first major moves were behind the bench, hiring head coach Guy Boucher and associate coach Marc Crawford a month into his tenure. He also traded for center Derick Brassard in the offseason and landed veteran forwards Alexandre Burrows, Viktor Stalberg and Tommy Wingels during the campaign.

The other finalists are Chiarelli (EDM) and Poile (NSH)

From Wikipedia:

The General Manager of the Year Award is awarded annually National Hockey League general manager as voted by "a 40-member panel that included all 30 general managers, five NHL executives and five media members."[1] The current title holder is Jim Rutherford, of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
"Best GM" is a difficult thing to quantify, but this shows us one thing for sure: Dorion has the respect and admiration of his peers.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
But I thought that he singlehandedly ruined our future by trading Zibanejad and Dahlen? Then he let Puempel go for nothing...

He would have to win the cup and the draft lottery at this point for me to start trusting his judgement.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Congrats Dorion! Maybe he'll get more respect on HFSens now too. ;)

I'm sure Chiarelli will win though, even though all he really did is mortgage Hall for the best D he could get and throw cash at Lucic. Mind you, Dorion did have the advantage of having the best player in the world on his team.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Congratulations Pierre Dorion!

Congrats Dorion! Maybe he'll get more respect on HFSens now too. ;)

I'm sure Chiarelli will win though, even though all he really did is mortgage Hall for the best D he could get and throw cash at Lucic. Mind you, Dorion did have the advantage of having the best player in the world on his team.
McDavid isn't any slouch either.....

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
aoyrpgcr3gjy.png

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Obviously they don't take into account public speaking! Am I right?! Honestly the guy is hard to listen to at times

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He gave us the pieces we needed to take that next step. This is MUCH deserved! Hope he wins!! But I think it'll be Poile for the Subban Trade

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Interesting, usually this one tends to take a year or two of momentum for a GM to get top three.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Happy for him.. seems a little odd that he got recognized... Hired Boucher .. good move...traded Zib for Brass (mixed reviews) ... got some solid bottom 6 depth at / around the tdl ... Wingels, Stalberg, Burrows .. also generated a fair amount of discussion on what was given up....

All in all ... Sens went from missing to the ECF so that is the bottom line.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Any gm would have selected McDavid if they got the 1st overall.

McDavid shouldn't be used as an argument to why Chiarelli is one of the best gms.

The poster I quoted went on the record saying that Dorion had Karlsson on the team so that should be taken into account when discussing the likelihood of him winning. My comment was that if that's the case then McDavid being on Edmonton should also be taken into account...

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It's a dumb award, but regardless, good for him being somewhere in the top 3. I haven't been happy with all his trades but I feel comfortable with him as GM, and Murray advising, that the team is in good hands.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Am I right to assume that the voting concluded prior to the playoffs?

If so, that makes Dorion being nominated a lot more interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: