Confirmed with Link: Dorion a finalist for GM of the year

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Funny, because everybody thought super highly of Gagne just a few years ago, even more so than Dahlen. Let's see how people feel about Dahlen in a couple years.

Well ... I have not been authorized to speak for everybody... but ... that was never my impression. The discussion is about right now more than anything. Right now Dahlen looks like the better prospect to me.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I watched 4-5 full games of Dahlen, ~10 games of Gagne this year and can confirm. You?

None. Because I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on something I'm not. Reports said that Dorion and many scouts/GMs in the league were skeptical of Dahlen's speed, which I know for a fact is a common cause of players putting up crazy points in lower tier leagues and being unable to carry that over to the NHL. Considering the premise of the trade was excellent, and everybody's issue with the trade was value, I'm going to defer to the professionals of the field (including a GM of the year nominee) on determining his value.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Really? You like Dahlen alot? Tell me honestly... Like fully honestly... How many games have you watched Dahlen play? Youtube clips don't count. Like actual full games.

All of his world junior games and 3 of his regular season games.

Yes. I like him a lot.

I also don't think I'm an expert, but I guess you do - so I'd like to hear your ground breaking analysis.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
None. Because I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on something I'm not. Reports said that Dorion and many scouts/GMs in the league were skeptical of Dahlen's speed, which I know for a fact is a common cause of players putting up crazy points in lower tier leagues and being unable to carry that over to the NHL. Considering the premise of the trade was excellent, and everybody's issue with the trade was value, I'm going to defer to the professionals of the field (including a GM of the year nominee) on determining his value.

Okay so no one question ANYTHING the team does because they're the professionals. Gotcha!

I guess we can all delete our accounts. No room for discussion here!!!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Thanks for providing all not just part of the information in your assessment. I think you make a wise choice in deferring your opinion elsewhere.
34f706f9b7b2a6fc64a11915ba251218-d6udkps.png
:laugh:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Okay so no one question ANYTHING the team does because they're the professionals. Gotcha!

I guess we can all delete our accounts. No room for discussion here!!!

It's one thing to debate and discuss. It's another to spew the venom people have been spewing since TDL Day.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's one thing to debate and discuss. It's another to spew the venom people have been spewing since TDL Day.

I think you have embarked on a discussion with some pretty reasonable posters here.
Please quote the venom being spewed here in this thread. Where is the venom?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Disagree ... your assessment of Gagne is very generous. No one would have blinked an eye if it was Gagne instead of Dahlen

Top 6 upside doesn't mean he's super likely to reach it though. He's a boom/bust project and we don't have a ton of them. Dahlen is the safer prospect, I'm not sure that makes him better in my mind.

No, it really wouldn't. Saying that is just plugging your ears/eyes and being ignorant, honestly.

Dahlen is a good prospect but weren't you one of the advocates for more boom/bust prospects in the system?

Maybe I'm too down on the league that Dahlen was doing well in or maybe value NA experience too highly?

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Gagne was wildly ineffective in the ECHL and AHL this year.

Like really really bad.

ECHL - 19 GP, 6G, 5A
AHL - 41 GP, 2G, 4A

While I agree that I would have preferred to keep Dahlen over Gagne, it's prolly gonna be 2 more years before we know what kinda player Gagne is. Don't look too much into the stats this year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Top 6 upside doesn't mean he's super likely to reach it though. He's a boom/bust project and we don't have a ton of them. Dahlen is the safer prospect, I'm not sure that makes him better in my mind.

Dahlen is a good prospect but weren't you one of the advocates for more boom/bust prospects in the system?

Maybe I'm too down on the league that Dahlen was doing well in or maybe value NA experience too highly?

Yes, I'm a huge advocate of adding more skill to the lineup. The only thing Gagne has on him is size, every other offensive attribute goes to Dahlen. He is literally built for this NHL, and did nothing but improve his stock for the last 12 months.

It's over and done with, he's no longer a Sen. It is what it is. I certainly hope Gagne proves to be the better player than Dahlen, but I wouldn't wager anything in that happening.

Gagne had a rough 19 year old season in the Q (injuries), and an even rougher first pro season.

Look at it this way, if Gagne was to be redrafted with hindsight, he likely drops a round or two. If the same was done with Dahlen (at this point) he likely jumps 10-15 spots into the 20's.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

All I'm saying is if you're end point is "I'll trust the professionals" it trumps any discussion and debate.

We could discuss all day any topic and if the end point is "Well the professionals made this decision so I'll trust them" well what was the point of discussing?

Also - GM's get value wrong all the time. It happens. I think Dorion got poor value for a good asset. That being said, I think we got good value for Wingels and Condon and fair value for Stalberg.

Not crapping on Dorion. Just pointing out that it was a pretty lopsided trade in value at the time.

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
I think he deserves the nom based on the hiring of GB and trading for Condon which can be argued saved our season. The remaining moves are largely more positive than negative.

In the end Poille probably win it for the impact he has made to his team by adding key pieces.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, I'm a huge advocate of adding more skill to the lineup. The only thing Gagne has on him is size, every other offensive attribute goes to Dahlen. He is literally built for this NHL, and did nothing but improve his stock for the last 12 months.

It's over and done with, he's no longer a Sen. It is what it is. I certainly hope Gagne proves to be the better player than Dahlen, but I wouldn't wager anything in that happening.

Gagne had a rough 19 year old season in the Q (injuries), and an even rougher first pro season.

Look at it this way, if Gagne was to be redrafted with hindsight, he likely drops a round or two. If the same was done with Dahlen (at this point) he likely jumps 10-15 spots into the 20's.

I thought Gagné was considered a much better skater as well, particularly his acceleration, while Dahlen was considered more 'shifty', though that may have changed since draft day.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Never said his career is over.

We're talking about value. Gagne was trending down this year. Dahlen was trending up.

That's the point.

Maybe Van wanted nothing to do with Gagne since he has been trending down so much?

If Dorion wanted Burrows, he had to make a deal that worked for Vancouver too.

Sens very obviously traded short term gain for (potential) long term pain. With the Sens in the ECF, I would say they accomplished the mission.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Really? You like Dahlen alot? Tell me honestly... Like fully honestly... How many games have you watched Dahlen play? Youtube clips don't count. Like actual full games.

I watched 4-5 full games of Dahlen, ~10 games of Gagne this year and can confirm. You?

I'm sorry, but I love it when this happens. Haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00