Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes

Moves like this get you fired

Also look at our record/depth. Uninspiring hockey at best

Given that we have DeBrusk playing regular minutes from that draft while not producing like Barzal right now (Connor is less impressive when you look at his 20 games last season- 4 pts) I don't see how this is fireable. Jury is out on Seny and Zboril. Expecting every 1st rounder to step right in and produce at a top level is not realistic- we have to be 2-3 years away from really evaluating this draft class. Barzal has started well, but how do we know he doesn't hit a wall or regress in 2 months? Should every GM that passed on the 5th rounder Bjork or the 4th rounder Heinen be fired ? Because pretty much every team could have had either guy.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
So I wouldn't argue with your responses in this post, they seem thorough. But I'd note that you hit on an important thing, which is "need at the time".

If we all agree with the premise that Sweeney was/is building towards a future window, and I think that's a given, then "need at the time" is irrelevant. His task was and is to build a complete roster for a future point time. So not getting in on young guys because he didn't need to fill those holes "at that time" is not a valid excuse. He supposedly has his eyes set squarely on a point in time down the road, which is fine if that's the plan. Not saying he did, but he shouldn't have walked away from any move in the past that would have benefited that future point in time. Just like he shouldn't have made any moves then that would significantly hurt his ability to build a quality team for this theoretical future point in time.

Regarding the bold, I'm not convinced one can realistically work like that as a GM. I mean, a GM can't predict his team will play for the cup in a definite year.
One has to be more flexible and adapt his plan along the way. Such a plan is like a living thing, it needs to evolve with time, but not deviate too much from the original. It's a fine line.

Still think Sweeney will have to package some assets to get a big time player, a missing piece, or whatever you call it, and not necessarily at the time the plan requires it, but rather at the time the situation arises. When both times coincide, you've got the perfect storm, but that's pretty rare.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Given that we have DeBrusk playing regular minutes from that draft while not producing like Barzal right now (Connor is less impressive when you look at his 20 games last season- 4 pts) I don't see how this is fireable. Jury is out on Seny and Zboril. Expecting every 1st rounder to step right in and produce at a top level is not realistic- we have to be 2-3 years away from really evaluating this draft class. Barzal has started well, but how do we know he doesn't hit a wall or regress in 2 months? Should every GM that passed on the 5th rounder Bjork or the 4th rounder Heinen be fired ? Because pretty much every team could have had either guy.

Connor plays with Scheifele and Wheeler and averages 18:04 per game (2:41 per on the PP).

DeBrusk plays with two ANH/NHL tweeners right now and averages 14:58 and 2:00 PP time per game (although it appears that he is getting less of both now).

Basically, Connor is eating Filet Mignon and DeBrusk is having Hamburger Helper.

WPG is doing the same thing with Connor that the B's wanted to do with Bjork and/or DeBrusk before all the injuries hit (put him with good top line players). I would like to see how he would do on a 3rd line with Backes and Heinen. Think his production (and Heinen's) would be good in that spot.

Reactions: bp13 and Dr Hook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Oh, brother.....

Our record and depth are due to injuries. Why do so many people on this site fail to realize this?
Barzal could have been part get 3 GM's who would have been fired by our fine member here for incompetence

1. The Islanders GM took Michael Dal Colle in 2014 5th overall (2017 13 games 1 G 4 A in the AHL) and Ryan Strom also 5th overall and a marginal player

clearly that GM with 2 top 5 misses should have been fired

2. Chiarelli Edmonton

trades 16 and 33 in 2015 for Griffin Reinhart (also selected 4th by NYI in 2012)

Chiarelli could have had Connor or Barzal and Brandon Carlo but he traded both for Reinhart who is now on Vegas AHL team on the road to bust

3. Don Sweeney- taking DeBrusk and Senyshyn over Barzal and Connor.

DeBrusk looks legit and has a bright future but the 20 year old Senyshyn is still in the AHL albeit playing very well of late.

Rocketdan know doubt would have fired all 3 from the sounds of it

lets hope when he enters the business world he is not a federal judge

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Bruins fans would be bragging about Sweeney and how good he is at drafting and easily overlooking the mediocre NHL level scouting/trades/signings if he didn't think he was the smartest guy in the room during the 2015 1st round. We'd be as proud of him as Celtics fans are of Ainge. If he just took Barzal and Connor he'd have the kind of job security Sinden had in the 80s/90s.

DeBrusk is solid and Senny should be a good bottom 6 player with speed/size which we lack. Carlo pick means its OK if Zboril doesn't make it. But its still a huge miss.

We'd have a 3rd/4th line of Bjork-Barzal-Heinen when fully healthy. When you consider that we have Marchand and Pasternak on the team if we don't mess the 2015 first round up wed have more high end talent than Toronto.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Yes

No point in doing a rebuild, either, because Sweeney likes to pick reaches over folks like Debrincat, Barzal, Konecny, and Connor. We'll end up with another team full of grinders.

I wish we had some new players that could actually snipe top shelf. If we don't get dirty goals, we don't get goals.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No point in doing a rebuild, either, because Sweeney likes to pick reaches over folks like Debrincat, Barzal, Konecny, and Connor. We'll end up with another team full of grinders.

I wish we had some new players that could actually snipe top shelf. If we don't get dirty goals, we don't get goals.

Barzal with 3 more points tonight.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
17 points now in his last 13 games.

Yeah.

The guy who said 'Im smarter than everyone else and won't use one of my 3 THREE mid first round picks on the BPA top 5 talent who slipped to 14' probably isn't the guy we want for our rebuild.

But we had Spooner no use for him he'd be stuck in Providence.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes

Moves like Charlie McAvoy get you extensions

Rocket Dan- you need balance kid you been following this team this long and you are thinking they have no depth which is exactly what they are getting by on

Also to get out of the first quarter with 20 or more points is a win win

When the water is choppy and you can tread water and not drown that's survival

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He looked great.
He is

And good for Garth Snow for getting him at 17 after seeing Reinhart 4, Strome 5 (already traded) and Dal Colle 5 (having problems in AHL) look like bad picks

I go to yoga now my teachers preach balance
I took judo all those years my sensei preaxhes balsnce
My mother from day one preaches balance

I join HF and all I hear about is the negative shit

Here's balance

McAvoy 19 years old and Carlo 20 playing big minutes in a huge road win

McAvoy with a beautiful goal as well and Carlo showing excellent offensive traits on his assist last night on Acciari goal

Kids doing it at both ends

This Barzal Connor stuff is pathetic

Who knows what Senyshyn will be but he's coming off a very good weekend and won't be 21 till next summer

And just for the record my pick as you know Lou was Barzal at 13 and I was livid they passed 3 times on him

But to balance that

My choice was Fabro at 14 not McAvoy

Let's stop with this fire everyone who screws up a draft pick because I saw Red Auerbach once pass on Tony Parker for a stiff who even I knew was horribly wrong

Auerbach should not have been fired for taking Michael Smith or the kid from NC over Parker anymore than Sweeney for passing on Connor or Barzal for Senyshyn

He's made shitty moves and great moves that's the nature of unscientific outcomes

And I think it's more likely Senyshyn is good

Last year at this time Heinen looked like he was homesick now he's on both special teams and third forward in TOI in a game the coach had to have

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
And I was told I was being "melodramatic" here when I lost my **** at the draft and said we would badly regret it (passing on Barzal) for the next decade +.....

but, yeah, now people all over the hockey world are looking up his advanced stats to back up what the eyeball test should have told the Bruins scouts on their FIRST viewing of him. It blew my mind how I could go to a game with someone and they were not enamoured with him, even though he had crap support in Seattle.

Funny, this time last year people were telling me how Barzal wasn't going to make any noise in the NHL because he "couldn't shoot" and, here, how much further ahead DeBrusk was because he was playing pro hockey.

The Isles have had their share of whiffs and we have had homeruns too (McAvoy, Carlo) but the reason the Barzal thing will haunt the Bruins is because they had the unique 3 picks in a row thing and that has never happened before. If they just had the 1 pick then people wouldn't hang it on them so much.
It could have been an amazing fleecing for Sweeney..... getting Barzal for Lucic is pure plunder but it wasn't to be.

Reactions: Strafer

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Last year at this time Heinen looked like he was homesick now he's on both special teams and third forward in TOI in a game the coach had to have
He looks amazing. So shifty and Bergeron/Krejci level smart. Absolute steal of a pick and the brass deserves a ton of credit for it.

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He is

And good for Garth Snow for getting him at 17 after seeing Reinhart 4, Strome 5 (already traded) and Dal Colle 5 (having problems in AHL) look like bad picks

I go to yoga now my teachers preach balance
I took judo all those years my sensei preaxhes balsnce
My mother from day one preaches balance

I join HF and all I hear about is the negative ****

Here's balance

McAvoy 19 years old and Carlo 20 playing big minutes in a huge road win

McAvoy with a beautiful goal as well and Carlo showing excellent offensive traits on his assist last night on Acciari goal

Kids doing it at both ends

This Barzal Connor stuff is pathetic

Who knows what Senyshyn will be but he's coming off a very good weekend and won't be 21 till next summer

And just for the record my pick as you know Lou was Barzal at 13 and I was livid they passed 3 times on him

But to balance that

My choice was Fabro at 14 not McAvoy

Let's stop with this fire everyone who screws up a draft pick because I saw Red Auerbach once pass on Tony Parker for a stiff who even I knew was horribly wrong

Auerbach should not have been fired for taking Michael Smith or the kid from NC over Parker anymore than Sweeney for passing on Connor or Barzal for Senyshyn

He's made ****ty moves and great moves that's the nature of unscientific outcomes

And I think it's more likely Senyshyn is good

Amen. I'm certainly not unhappy with our picks. Like I said earlier somewhere I think they had a group of centers they liked round two and we were putrid as far as young wingers go. I think JDB and especially Senyshyn are going to be very good here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Moves like Charlie McAvoy get you extensions

Rocket Dan- you need balance kid you been following this team this long and you are thinking they have no depth which is exactly what they are getting by on

Also to get out of the first quarter with 20 or more points is a win win

When the water is choppy and you can tread water and not drown that's survival

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad