Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I continue to be pleased with Sweeney's un-Chiarelli-like restraint. The three consecutive first rounders are yet to define how well we did with that draft. When we have a healthy lineup, I am excited about a fourth line with Schaller and Accari as well as Heinen playing on the second or third line. Chara's playing his best hockey in years and MacAvoy looks like the real deal. So many quality prospects. I'm optimistic. Big Sweeney fan.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Can we agree that Sweeney got too cute/royally messed up on not drafting at least one of Connor and Barzal.

It pains me to watch Barzal play...really skilled and one of the top skates in the league

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Can we agree that Sweeney got too cute/royally messed up on not drafting at least one of Connor and Barzal.

It pains me to watch Barzal play...really skilled and one of the top skates in the league
When it mattered in a hockey game. The Bruins won!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Could be worse. You could be my father lamenting about your team taking Ron DuGuay over Mike Bossy for the past 40 years.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017

How dare you even suggest such a thing!?!?!?! PHOOEY! Go go black and gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly! See you at the parade!!

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I cried for 10 years about taking Kluzak over Bellows.

Trust me, it's no way to go through life.
:ha:
...and I cried for 5 years when Harry picked Dwight Foster over Mike Bossy in the '77 draft. How nice would Fred Cusick or Bob Wilson have sounded saying "Brad Park to Mike Bossy flying down the wing.....shoots and scores his 50th in this his rookie NHL season." Or,
"Mike Bossy to Brian Bellows flying down the middle.....shoots and scores his 35th in this his rookie NHL season" a few seasons later.
Brian Bellows, Mike Bossy of the Boston Bruins; Oh how Bittersweet! :ha:

Last edited:
Reactions: DKH

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
:ha:
...and I cried for 5 years when Harry picked Dwight Foster over Mike Bossy in the '77 draft. How nice would Fred Cusick or Bob Wilson have sounded saying "Brad Park to Mike Bossy flying down the wing.....shoots and scores his 50th in this his rookie NHL season." Or,
"Mike Bossy to Brian Bellows flying down the middle.....shoots and scores his 35th in this his rookie NHL season" a few seasons later.
Brian Bellows, Mike Bossy of the Boston Bruins; Oh how Bittersweet! :ha:

Foster was taken after did they trade down?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While I was upset they didn't take Barzal there are three drafts that stand out in my memory where I was really irritated.

I desperately wanted Petr Sykora in 1995. I wanted Parise in 2003 and I wanted Couture in 2007.

These things happen though. My Vikings took darrin Nelson over Marcus Allen. My ultimate draft heartache. I was devastated took 20 years to not be mad. Recently my Mets took Gavin Cecchini over Corey Seagar who they were rumored to have loved. Happens and we move on.

All that.being said, 30 games does not a career make people, judge it later.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Posters need to get in their Reilly Smith is good and Sweens waz wrobbed before he sucks next year in Vegas

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole

Stink, stank, stunk

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Your going to miss and your going to hit on drafts .Hopefully you hit on more than you miss. Id have to say lately overall the Bruins have been dam good!!!
Which has helped give Sweeney an arsenal of assets!

From 2014 -2016

2016 McAvoy at 14
2015 DeBrusk at 14, Carlo at 37
2014 Pasta at 25, Heinen at 116, Bjork at 146

Check back in a yr and this list without a doubt will look even better as players are on the verge who haven't yet made their debuts/mark.

All these players and the above were picked between 2014-2016 Just a great job. I remember in yrs pass the Bruins going 3yrs with minimal if no impact and to have three consecutive yrs with a huge impact , you cant overlook it and you have to give credit to the Bruins management and drafting team.
Trent Frederic
Ryan Lindgren
Jakub Zboril
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson
Jeremy Lauzon
Zachary Senyshyn
Ryan Donat0

Besides this group you still have Daniel Vladar,Jesse Gabrielle,Emil Johansson,Oskar Steen taken in those 3 yrs who could have nice NHL careers.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
You can't pin the win or loss on one draft pick that Donnie did or did not make.

At it's simplest form, the question is, would the Bruins be a better team with (DeBrusk / Zboril / Senyshn) or Barzal ?
But honestly the question isn't that simple. There are many factors that come into play. What are the long term ramifications of each player ?
How did they come across in the interview ? Was one player a better fit than another. Did they think Barzal could pass the physical. ;)

I have only seen Barzal in the one game vs the B's. He seemed to always have the puck on his stick when he was on the ice.
He looked impressive. Based only on the eyeball test ( current stats and where/how they play) , at this moment in time, it appears Barzal
is the better pick over Zboril and Senyshn. Next year may be a different story.

Reactions: rocketdan9

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Posters need to get in their Reilly Smith is good and Sweens waz wrobbed before he sucks next year in Vegas

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole

Stink, stank, stunk

Hahhaha, he had a terrible last year with the Bruins as did the whole team. He is a different player under Gallant, more like the first year Smith here, except he's a fantastic penalty killer (Claude never even tried him there) and first team PP player. Although I would never have given him 5 mil per (even though he's worth it now) that trade was still terrible. I would have rather had his 3.5 for the two years and let him go than MB39 and Huggy Bear Hayes for their 6 mil combined over that stretch.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Your going to miss and your going to hit on drafts .Hopefully you hit on more than you miss. Id have to say lately overall the Bruins have been dam good!!!

From 2014 -2016

2016 McAvoy at 14

Check back in a yr and this list without a doubt will look even better as players are on the verge who haven't yet made their debuts/mark.

All these players and the above were picked between 2014-2016 Just a great job. I remember in yrs pass the Bruins going 3yrs with minimal if no impact and to have three consecutive yrs with a huge impact , you cant overlook it and you have to give credit to the Bruins management and drafting team.
Trent Frederic
Ryan Lindgren
Jakub Zboril
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson
Jeremy Lauzon
Zachary Senyshyn
Ryan Donat0

Besides this group you still have Daniel Vladar,Jesse Gabrielle,Emil Johansson,Oskar Steen taken in those 3 yrs who could have nice NHL careers.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177810

I agree with this, but shouldn't we wait until the guys who haven't played in the NHL to actually do that? If track record is any indication, we are sitting pretty. I think you have fifteen regular NHL'ers out of that group, but all won't be here obviously.

Reactions: Strafer

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

From 2014 -2016

2016 McAvoy at 14

Trent Frederic
Ryan Lindgren
Jakub Zboril
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson
Jeremy Lauzon
Zachary Senyshyn
Ryan Donat0

A good trip down memory lane . . .
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/boston-bruins-2016-draft-report-card.2096405/

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I agree with this, but shouldn't we wait until the guys who haven't played in the NHL to actually do that? If track record is any indication, we are sitting pretty. I think you have fifteen regular NHL'ers out of that group, but all won't be here obviously.

Thats why I said check back in a year. With the guys who haven't played in the Nhl yet.
15 nhlers in a 3yr draft span that would be unreal. I'm looking at more like 12 what is still great, as some are sure to struggle in becoming NHL regulars but I hope your more accurate.

The bottom line is Sweeney and company did a great job in drafting in this 3yr period.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Foster was taken after did they trade down?

Thanks Lou, you're right! I just looked it up instead of relying on my memory. For all of these years I thought that it was the other way around. Upset for no reason. It's funny how memory works. Now, about that girl who wouldn't go to the freshman dance with me in highschool.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad