Confirmed with Link: Don Granato Thread -- Signed to Contract Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Baker & Fairburn wonder aloud how willing Pegula would be to pay a top coaching candidate.

After that conversation, the best case scenario I could imagine for the next coaching staff would be Peca as the head coach with Ruff as an assistant for a year or two before shifting to a senior advisor type role.

But, I will be surprised if Granato is not retained.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The painful truth is that this team should not have taken a step backwards this year, especially since last year's biggest issue, goaltending, addressed itself. That's on coaching, from the lowliest assistant to the tippy top of the mountain.

EDIT:

And let me add that any number of available coaches should be chomping at the bit to take over in Buffalo. Looking at pure talent, it seems like it should be viewed as one of the best situations in the league to take over. Imagine, day one, having guys like Dahlin, Benson, Cozens, Byram at your disposal. Far cry from David Legwand, Matt Moulson, and Benoit Pouliot.

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Baker & Fairburn wonder aloud how willing Pegula would be to pay a top coaching candidate.

After that conversation, the best case scenario I could imagine for the next coaching staff would be Peca as the head coach with Ruff as an assistant for a year or two before shifting to a senior advisor type role.

But, I will be surprised if Granato is not retained.

I like that they are actually taking it on. Fariburn's style is very gentle, but he is quite critical of the org handing out that contract to Granato when they did. One of the tough conversations that needs to happen is Granato needs to be forced to upgrade his assistants.

I think the best you could hope for is they bring Ruff into a hockey ops role, and the minute this team stumbles or exhibits those bad habits, Granato's gone and Ruff can step in as interim.

I am not sure why Peca gets such a rose colored glasses view. He could be this organizations Brind'Amour, but right now he has less coaching experience than Appert, and zero head coaching experience. If you bring in someone like Ruff in the ops role, then hire Peca in 2025/26, then he can mentor/advise.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I like that they are actually taking it on. Fariburn's style is very gentle, but he is quite critical of the org handing out that contract to Granato when they did. One of the tough conversations that needs to happen is Granato needs to be forced to upgrade his assistants.

I think the best you could hope for is they bring Ruff into a hockey ops role, and the minute this team stumbles or exhibits those bad habits, Granato's gone and Ruff can step in as interim.

I am not sure why Peca gets such a rose colored glasses view. He could be this organizations Brind'Amour, but right now he has less coaching experience than Appert, and zero head coaching experience. If you bring in someone like Ruff in the ops role, then hire Peca in 2025/26, then he can mentor/advise.
With respect to the Peca (& McKee to some extent, too), I think it is that they obviously feel that it could be hard to get a quality head coaching candidate into Buffalo right now given how things have gone for the past 13 years of the drought. And with their questions about whether Pegula would pay a premium for an "outside" veteran coaching candidate, I think that is why they were talking about candidates that have ties to the organization.

They likely feel that it would be easier for Adams to sell guys like Peca and McKee on the job than other candidates.

And my personal opinion on Bakes thinking about Quenneville (if the NHL reinstated him), I don't see it. Pegula does seem to care a lot about character. And I do not see Quenneville being a guy that Pegula would hire.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I am at the point where I am realizing Granato will be here next season. And I guess I shouldn’t be shocked. It has become increasingly apparent that the Buffalo Sabres existence is not centered around success on the ice.

I’m 50/50, but my gut says he will be fired. That isn’t something that is going to leak, so I don’t really care what the reporters are saying

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Look, I think Granato will be back next season, but I don’t think it’s about costs. It’s about Pegula thinking that the main problem all these years has been the lack of stability. And that has been…A problem, not the problem. In this case, I think it’s about Pegula trying something new (I.e. NOT firing everyone after a disappointing season. In retrospect, it was the wrong move to fire Murray and Bylsma. They should have had at least one more season. Then Pegula rushed into Botterill and Housley, and that was a trainwreck. That said, the Sabres lack of discipline is t new this season. They got away with it last season because people stayed healthy and they got slept on a little by other teams. Granato should be fired. Adams should be fired. Neither will, but I don’t think it’s because Pegula is cheap.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Look, I think Granato will be back next season, but I don’t think it’s about costs. It’s about Pegula thinking that the main problem all these years has been the lack of stability. And that has been…A problem, not the problem. In this case, I think it’s about Pegula trying something new (I.e. NOT firing everyone after a disappointing season. In retrospect, it was the wrong move to fire Murray and Bylsma. They should have had at least one more season. Then Pegula rushed into Botterill and Housley, and that was a trainwreck. That said, the Sabres lack of discipline is t new this season. They got away with it last season because people stayed healthy and they got slept on a little by other teams. Granato should be fired. Adams should be fired. Neither will, but I don’t think it’s because Pegula is cheap.

I'm a little more in the middle (go figure). I think it's based on a few things.

I'm not sure I agree that cost isn't a factor.....I do think it's a minor factor.....but I also think it's nowhere near the factor that some here think. To me, I think if/when Granato is here to start next year, it's about 4 factors. In order of importance:

1.) TP trusts Granato. TP trusted Ralphus and got burned. I believe that TP trusts Granato implicitly and thus won't make a move until absolutely, positively necessary.......and I don't think that TP (or KA) believe that it's gotten to that point yet.
2a.) The room likes Donnie. The room got Bylsma booted.
2b.) Continuity/stability. He doesn't want to rush into this one.
4.) Costs.

Should Granato be fired? Yes....yesterday. I've been openly questioning/critical of his long-term fit here since midway through last season.

Do I think he will be? Nope.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
My best guess is that if the season ended today, Granato would be fired tomorrow

I do think Adams/Pegula will watch how this season ends to try and convince themselves they can bring Donny back.. I am sure it would be their preference in a perfect world

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023

Whenever you talk about a Sabres GM/HC you hire you have to find the overlap in the venn diagram.

- Best candidates
- People Terry Pegula would hire
- People who would actually take the job.

Unlike other franchises, the Sabres org does not get or hire "the best guy out there". The group isn't a big one, nor is it filled with the most qualified candidates. This is why I am a fan of bringing Ruff in as a POH. Is he the best? Probably not. Is he the best given the restrictions Terry has put on this franchise? I believe he is by quite some margin.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm a little more in the middle (go figure). I think it's based on a few things.

I'm not sure I agree that cost isn't a factor.....I do think it's a minor factor.....but I also think it's nowhere near the factor that some here think. To me, I think if/when Granato is here to start next year, it's about 4 factors. In order of importance:

1.) TP trusts Granato. TP trusted Ralphus and got burned. I believe that TP trusts Granato implicitly and thus won't make a move until absolutely, positively necessary.......and I don't think that TP (or KA) believe that it's gotten to that point yet.
4.) Costs.

Should Granato be fired? Yes....yesterday. I've been openly questioning/critical of his long-term fit here since midway through last season.

I agree on the end result, Granato stays. But I think the only reason is #4 in your list. He simply does not see the need to pay someone else, when he and KA and DG can handle the things that need to be handled. I don’t think TPegs cares about room dynamics or any other issue. He wants the same lines of communication established under Ralph, and any candidate outside the organization with any pedigree will likely balk at that arrangement. I say this because a coach only has one tool to enforce his scheme. TOI. If he doesn’t have full reign to implement what he wants, and enforce ot with ice time, he is doomed from the start. If KA insists on certain players being on the roster and they do not fit a coach’s scheme, again doomed. Getting Peca McKee or any other legacy is simply shuffling deck chairs. So it does come down to cost. Why would TP pay someone to do something for which he is already paying someone to do, when there is no indication it is really going to improve results. Results being defined as open communication not w/l’s.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Peca was on staff in Washington under Laviolette and was told to go get some high level experience so he could get behind a pro bench. From what was said, he wasn't just a development coach - he was doing pre-scout video and helping with game planning but had a "development" title. He did well for two years with Rochester and now is behind the Rangers bench as part of a team that is absolutely buoyed by outstanding specialty teams (4th in both PK and PP in the league) and faceoffs (7th in the league). Perhaps as staff, though loyalty to Lavi is part of why he's in NY and it was Lavi's advice that lead him to Roch.

The opportunity was there last summer to move him up into the Sabres room as an assistant. Yes, he has limited experience behind the bench. He does however still live in Buffalo, is a key member of the alumni, and was a part of some of one of the better playoff runs in team history. He at least can tap into what it means for the area. That seems to be missing with how things are going in that dressing room about being upset about the fans being upset about how they play. It seems like Peca would hold them to some higher standard than the current group of assistants are.

It's not the only idea out there, but it is one of them.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

4.) Costs.

Yea I think costs will be a factor like any coaching decision would be across any sports team. I don’t think costs will play any extra role here.

But yeah, they clearly don’t have the right decision maker in the organization that will set the team straight (like McDermott and Beane did). So who knows if they get this catching decision correct and fire Granato. Definitely some incompetence going on.

I’m staying positive and I think Granato will be fired in just a few weeks

My best guess is that if the season ended today, Granato would be fired tomorrow

I do think Adams/Pegula will watch how this season ends to try and convince themselves they can bring Donny back.. I am sure it would be their preference in a perfect world

The problem is Botts, Murray, Housley were all well-praised hires of top candidates. Unless I’m just misremembering.

They just haven’t gotten the right person.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Peca was on staff in Washington under Laviolette and was told to go get some high level experience so he could get behind a pro bench. From what was said, he wasn't just a development coach - he was doing pre-scout video and helping with game planning but had a "development" title. He did well for two years with Rochester and now is behind the Rangers bench as part of a team that is absolutely buoyed by outstanding specialty teams (4th in both PK and PP in the league) and faceoffs (7th in the league). Perhaps as staff, though loyalty to Lavi is part of why he's in NY and it was Lavi's advice that lead him to Roch.

The opportunity was there last summer to move him up into the Sabres room as an assistant. Yes, he has limited experience behind the bench. He does however still live in Buffalo, is a key member of the alumni, and was a part of some of one of the better playoff runs in team history. He at least can tap into what it means for the area. That seems to be missing with how things are going in that dressing room about being upset about the fans being upset about how they play. It seems like Peca would hold them to some higher standard than the current group of assistants are.

It's not the only idea out there, but it is one of them.
I think Bakes & Fairburn did a good job of laying out the pros for a Peca hire with the biggest con being his lack of experience.

One thing they also talked about was his experience coaching some of of the guys already on the roster and some of the guys that are still coming when he was in Rochester. It was definitely a missed opportunity to not promote him to the NHL staff. It will be interesting to see how long it is before someone gives him an NHL head coaching gig.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The problem is Botts, Murray, Housley were all well-praised hires of top candidates. Unless I’m just misremembering.

They just haven’t gotten the right person.

Murray, Bylsma, Botts and Housley were all universally praised.

Krueger was mostly praised, especially by Oiler fans......most (fans and pundits) thought he deserved a 2nd chance given the raw deal he got at the end of his tenure in Edmonton.

Adams was roundly greeted by a general "WTF". Granato was mostly "Meh. Maybe he's good with the kids."

Reactions: Dirty Dog

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
People think Granato is getting fired? He isn't. He is gonna be opening game coach next year.

I would bet money on it.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Honestly, I'd be surprised if he was fired. Though, a scenario I could foresee is them requiring him to fire his assistants and him going down with the ship and refusing to do so.

Would Granato have a choice? No way does he quit. He quits and he loses his salary for the next 3 years. They can force him to fire his assistants. I just don’t see Donny, or anyone for that matter, leaving 3 years of salary on the table especially when it is highly unlikely any team in the league would hire him again as a head coach.

If he had options, yes, I could see him quitting. But coaches like Granato don’t. At least not at the same level he’s currently at.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd like to see Granato with better assistants. If the Sabres power play was better, the conversation would be a little different.

33 goals in 75 games for 15.6 percent in 2023-24. Sabres scored 211 goals so far and allowed 229.

Last season, 63 goals in 82 games for a 23.4% rate. Sabres scored 269 goals last season and allowed 226.

I haven't looked at the advanced stats, but the Sabres are playing better on the PK this season and getting better goaltending since January. I get the argument where the team is focusing on 5v5 structure and defense. But the power play isn't that. If the Sabres had last season's power play, or something close, their goal differential is probably in the positive, and they might still be in the playoff picture.

That's the first change I'd make if I were Granato. Probably should've made it months ago.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'd like to see Granato with better assistants. If the Sabres power play was better, the conversation would be a little different.

33 goals in 75 games for 15.6 percent in 2023-24. Sabres scored 211 goals so far and allowed 229.

Last season, 63 goals in 82 games for a 23.4% rate. Sabres scored 269 goals last season and allowed 226.

I haven't looked at the advanced stats, but the Sabres are playing better on the PK this season and getting better goaltending since January. I get the argument where the team is focusing on 5v5 structure and defense. But the power play isn't that. If the Sabres had last season's power play, or something close, their goal differential is probably in the positive, and they might still be in the playoff picture.

That's the first change I'd make if I were Granato. Probably should've made it months ago.

The bulk of Jason Christie's coaching experience was at the ECHL level before being hired with the Sabres.

Matt Ellis had less than a season as an NHL development coach when he got elevated to an assistant coach role. And his only other coaching experience was with the Jr Sabres.

Marty Wilford did have 3 seasons as an assistant in Anaheim before being hired with the Sabres.

Mike Bales had 6 seasons as an NHL goalie coach (4 in Pittsburgh and 2 in Carolina) before getting the job in Buffalo.

Granato needs more experience on his staff, IMO. At a minimum, they need to replace Ellis and Christie with someone with NHL head coaching experience and someone with experience running a top 10 PP in the NHL.

Having a rookie head coach with such an inexperienced group of assistant coaches was not a great plan, IMO.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Would Granato have a choice? No way does he quit. He quits and he loses his salary for the next 3 years. They can force him to fire his assistants. I just don’t see Donny, or anyone for that matter, leaving 3 years of salary on the table especially when it is highly unlikely any team in the league would hire him again as a head coach.

If he had options, yes, I could see him quitting. But coaches like Granato don’t. At least not at the same level he’s currently at.

That I have no idea about.

Never go full Botts.

:sarcasm:

I hope not, Granato has a slender frame. He'd look like a lollipop with a botts size noggin.

Reactions: Moncton man

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

There was a play the other night that, and yes it was just one play, but I hope they just clean house as I feel it just shows the lack of structure the Sabres have. That play was on the Tavares goal. Clifton was relatively close to the Leafs player with the puck on the wall. For some reason Benson decided to give Clifton help and left Tavares open that resulted in the goal. I just can’t believe that an NHL player would make that decision on his own zone. I know Benson is a rookie but what the hell is going on there? Then people see Cozens as the closest player to Tavares and rag on him for not covering Tavares. Just a complete breakdown on a play that should never have happened.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

The bulk of Jason Christie's coaching experience was at the ECHL level before being hired with the Sabres.

Matt Ellis had less than a season as an NHL development coach when he got elevated to an assistant coach role. And his only other coaching experience was with the Jr Sabres.

Marty Wilford did have 3 seasons as an assistant in Anaheim before being hired with the Sabres.

Mike Bales had 6 seasons as an NHL goalie coach (4 in Pittsburgh and 2 in Carolina) before getting the job in Buffalo.

Granato needs more experience on his staff, IMO. At a minimum, they need to replace Ellis and Christie with someone with NHL head coaching experience and someone with experience running a top 10 PP in the NHL.

Having a rookie head coach with such an inexperienced group of assistant coaches was not a great plan, IMO.
Do we even know the contract status for the rest of the staff outside of Donnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia