Proposal: Domi for Gavrikov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So Columbus needs 2C and Montreal needs top4 LHD, and here they are. Both teams get what they need. Plus Montreal gets another Russian player, so Romanov won't be alone, if Kovy doesn't stay for long (if he comes at all).

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Nein we can find a better defender with Domi on the block

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Gavrikov isnt anywhere near the level to get you a Domi.

I'll get back to this words in a year...

Gavrikov plays 20+ min/game on one of the best defense in the league, while Domi didn't look that impressive in the last season. If he was that great, there wouldn't be a single chance, that Montreal fans even consider any Domi trade...

An interesting fact: Columbus has 10 more points, than Montreal, in 1 less games, scoring 32 (!) less goals!

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
@Kshahdoo.

You're obviously a big fan of Gavrikov.

What do you know that the rest of us aren't seeing in him?

He looks more like Kulak or Oullette to the naked eye, and maybe not as good as that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
@Kshahdoo.

You're obviously a big fan of Gavrikov.

What do you know that the rest of us aren't seeing in him?

He looks more like Kulak or Oullette to the naked eye, and maybe not as good as that.

Do you mean the same Xavier Oullette, who's scored as many goals in his NHL career, as Gavrikov scored in his rookie season (which isn't still over)?

I'm a fan of all good Russian players, and they have to be really good... of course, I'm a Gavrikov fan.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I'll get back to this words in a year...

Gavrikov plays 20+ min/game on one of the best defense in the league, while Domi didn't look that impressive in the last season. If he was that great, there wouldn't be a single chance, that Montreal fans even consider any Domi trade...

An interesting fact: Columbus has 10 more points, than Montreal, in 1 less games, scoring 32 (!) less goals!

Firstly, Gavrikov will be demoted to 3rd line when Murray is back from injury. He is not going ahead of Werenski and Murray on the left side.

Secondly, the fact that you are trying to justify a mid level dman who as played less than 70 NHL games, is on the same level as a top 6 forward who has played nearly 400 NHL games whilst scoring at a rate 0.67ppg? You must be joking.

Thirdly, no one said he was that great, but he does hold way more value than Gavrikov.

FYI, some Habs fans may be open to the idea of trading Domi as he is an RFA with Arb. rights so he could demand a big contract. A contract that will over pay him long term and Habs fans dont want that contract on their books.

Lastly, your interesting fact is the most pointless and irrelevant piece of information I will read today so thanks for that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think this deal actually makes some sense for Montreal. On HF nobody really knows Gavrikov yet but he's a great shutdown defender and good with the puck. He reminds me of Ekholm circa 2016. Montreal can get a bigger name back for Domi but I think Gavrikov would be a fitting building block piece for the Habs.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Firstly, Gavrikov will be demoted to 3rd line when Murray is back from injury. He is not going ahead of Werenski and Murray on the left side.

Secondly, the fact that you are trying to justify a mid level dman who as played less than 70 NHL games, is on the same level as a top 6 forward who has played nearly 400 NHL games whilst scoring at a rate 0.67ppg? You must be joking.

Thirdly, no one said he was that great, but he does hold way more value than Gavrikov.

FYI, some Habs fans may be open to the idea of trading Domi as he is an RFA with Arb. rights so he could demand a big contract. A contract that will over pay him long term and Habs fans dont want that contract on their books.

Lastly, your interesting fact is the most pointless and irrelevant piece of information I will read today so thanks for that.

That's a really big question, but I think, Columbus fans will answer it better, than I...

As to Domi, he had very good rookie season, didn't make any progress in his 2nd one, regressed in the 3rd, had great 4th season, and his 5th season is about as good as his 1st (which actually isn't that good). That's probably why Montreal fans aren't against trading him...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah don't pretend to know a player you don't know. They're obviously all top 4 D-men. Gavrikov's minutes didn't go down when Murray re-joined the lineup, he kept playing 19-23 minutes per game.

Calgary beats this by offering Hanifin for Domi and a small adder

I think that great skating Hanifin is a pylon by comparison. I only watched about 20 Flames games this year, but he got beat more in those games than Gavrikov did all year in Columbus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Given that Werenski and Murray are both top-pairing level defensemen, this is less of a strike against Gavrikov than you seem to be insinuating.

Personally, I want to keep Gavrikov. I don't know if he's worth Domi straight up in the trade market (that feels a lot like a "he's worth this to our team, therefore this must be fair value for everybody" type evaluation), but I like him enough that I almost don't care. ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Personally, I want to keep Gavrikov. I don't know if he's worth Domi straight up in the trade market (that feels a lot like a "he's worth this to our team, therefore this must be fair value for everybody" type evaluation), but I like him enough that I almost don't care. ;)

This is what just about all Jackets fans will say. "Trade someone else, not Gavrikov".

Contrast that with the Habs fans attitudes on Domi -- "Get something for him quick".

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think this deal actually makes some sense for Montreal. On HF nobody really knows Gavrikov yet but he's a great shutdown defender and good with the puck. He reminds me of Ekholm circa 2016. Montreal can get a bigger name back for Domi but I think Gavrikov would be a fitting building block piece for the Habs.

When he gets somewhere near Ekholm level then we can discuss a trade. Until then, I am not open to trading Domi for a maybe.

We have no issues with what’s going to be Domi’s contract. Bergevin also said a couple months ago that when the times is right he will have no problem getting a done deal with Domi. $ and term isn’t the issue here.

The only reason Domi might be on the block is because we are already too crowded at LW and will eventually be too crowded at C as well once Suzuki and Kotkaniemi take another step in their development.

This is what just about all Jackets fans will say. "Trade someone else, not Gavrikov".

Contrast that with the Habs fans attitudes on Domi -- "Get something for him quick".

You’re dead wrong on this. It’s not even close to reflect the reality

Reactions: Gravity

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

I wouldn't qualify most Habs fans as wanting to "get something for him quick". Yes, some do want him traded, but it's for other reasons (Namely Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Danault all playing centre too). We know his value. I personally don't want to trade him as I find we need this type of player more than anything. Yes, sometimes he makes boneheaded decisions when he gets a little hot under the collar, but he's a Domi, so that's not a shocker. The guy plays hard and is very talented. He's fit in very well at centre. He had a "down" year this season, but I'm confident he can be a consistent 60 point center. I would keep him for another year as I think he's closer to the player we saw in 2018-2019 than the player we saw this season.

As for the trade proposal and value, I will refrain from commenting too much as I just don't know Gavrikov very well. On the surface just by going by "name value", it seems lopsided in Columbus' favour, but as mentioned, I just don't know Gavrikov very well.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wouldn't qualify most Habs fans as wanting to "get something for him quick". Yes, some do want him traded, but it's for other reasons (Namely Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Danault all playing centre too). We know his value. I personally don't want to trade him as I find we need this type of player more than anything. Yes, sometimes he makes boneheaded decisions when he gets a little hot under the collar, but he's a Domi, so that's not a shocker. The guy plays hard and is very talented. He's fit in very well at centre. He had a "down" year this season, but I'm confident he can be a consistent 60 point center. I would keep him for another year as I think he's closer to the player we saw in 2018-2019 than the player we saw this season.

As for the trade proposal and value, I will refrain from commenting too much as I just don't know Gavrikov very well. On the surface just by going by "name value", it seems lopsided in Columbus' favour, but as mentioned, I just don't know Gavrikov very well.

Domi being thought of as below this group is pretty telling. A 25 year old soon to be "consistent 60 point center" shouldn't be in that position.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Domi being thought of as below this group is pretty telling. A 25 year old soon to be "consistent 60 point center" shouldn't be in that position.
I think his contract situation (or lack thereof) contributes to that. That and the HF classic of being obsessed with upside to the detriment of actual production.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think his contract situation (or lack thereof) contributes to that. That and the HF classic of being obsessed with upside to the detriment of actual production.

But even if you’re 25, you’re going against two very high ceiling center coming up and someone who’s grossly underrated in Danault. Long term, Domi will get pushed to LW, not because he’s not a good C but because we won’t have the roster spot at C for him. The other issue is Domi want to play at C and we may just not have the roster spot for him at C in a year or two.

Gavrikov may become a good NHL D. I don’t know much about him either but when you look at the list of D that were offered for Domi: Hanifin (turned down), Nurse (turned down), Dumba (Maybe), Brodin (Maybe if signed) you have to understand that Gavrikov does not move the needle... at all.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Well Suzuki had 41 points in 71 games as a 20 year old rookie. He has the potential to be an extremely good centre in this league. Great vision, shot and 2 way play, especially for his age. Kotkaniemi was drafted 3rd overall, is very talented, a big boy (which we sorely need) and pure centre, and was very good as an 18 year old in the NHL before his sophomore slump last year. He was a point per game player in the AHL when he was sent down. He has a lot of upside. Danault is a classic 2nd/3rd line tweener and one of the best defensive centres in the league. He plays that role perfectly. Most teams would want him as their 3rd line centre as he's been averaging 50 points per season the last two years.

Now yes, we're banking on upside with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi, but these two players aren't just random, they're very highly touted young players... But, as mentioned, I personally would keep Domi for another year to see what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad